3800 %&#*#&

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
ack!

in my 99 GS, noticed recently, trans seems to bounce rpms, typically starting after acceleration past 40 mph, then letting off the gas, (not completly off as in decelerating, but 'cruising') let off the gas completely, then push it back again, and it stops. suspecting it's tcc oscillation, but there is no code, at least no ses light. wife says it did it once at 30ish mph today, 40ish and 50ish too. i know there a a handfull of things it could be, but looking for a bit more direction. (valve body? TCC solenoid? bad seal someplace? ) i wouldnt expect a bad solenoid, since there are no codes, but rather bad seal or something.... but with 175k miles, hard to tell. had the filter changed and fluid exchanged, but the problem didnt go away (i thought it got better, wife says it's the same) but it doesnt seem to be worse, yet.

any ideas beyond a diff trans??

if no, anybody out there have a spare trans?? :eek:

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
plugs and wires both (stock heat range iridium) have oh, 50K miles.

noticed that before this started happening, something seemed to be smelling hot when the car was running, but only when it was running... shut car down and within a few seconds, the smell vanished. trans fluid still red though, doesnt smell burnt. --P/S fluid was a good bit low, upping that helped cut the smell, so i dont think that's related to the issue.

no SES codes, though i guess some misfire situations wouldnt show up.

would a bad fuel filter really cause identical surging situations?? sounds identical to BigJermGTP's linked post.

oh... question though, if i turn on the performance shift, and that alters the symptoms, wouldn't that rule out ignition issues??

I'm a firm beliver of the all knowing Mr. Vogel's ideas, he's usually right. Check the ground connection to the frame like he suggested in my linked post.

I have not done this for the simple fact that my problem went away one day, so I didn't screw with it. The problems I described was when the weather was incredibly hot and humidfor a few weeks this year. I also don't have 175K on my trans, you may just have the simple fact of shit getting old and breaking.

If you've never changed your fuel filter like your plugs, I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to replace it. I don't think that's gonna fix your problem though.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Given the car's mileage I would almost certainly expect this to be the TCC piston bleeding off pressure. Much like the boost valve the piston damages it's bore and allows pressure to bleed off over time. The solution is to sleeve and use a new valve.

There is a Sonnax part number for fixing this.

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
Given the car's mileage I would almost certainly expect this to be the TCC piston bleeding off pressure. Much like the boost valve the piston damages it's bore and allows pressure to bleed off over time. The solution is to sleeve and use a new valve.

There is a Sonnax part number for fixing this.
[/b]

are you referring to the "TCC Regulated Apply Valve Kit"

should a good shop w/ scanner be able to diagnose this without a teardown?

bad part is still would be PITA to change this w/o removing the whole trans. and if it's out at that point, i would still question as to weather or not the trans should be gone through anyway... after all... maybe the whine i hear every so often isnt the a/c compressor like i thought it was :blink:

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
If the valve body has to be pulled you're talking about $400 - $600 in labor. If that's the case and the transmission is original then I'm just getting it rebuilt. I'd hate to see you have them go in there and then a month later the torque converter fails or your fourth gear shaft finally gives.

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
If the valve body has to be pulled you're talking about $400 - $600 in labor. If that's the case and the transmission is original then I'm just getting it rebuilt. I'd hate to see you have them go in there and then a month later the torque converter fails or your fourth gear shaft finally gives.
[/b]

that's pretty much what i've been thinking. adding that to the possibility that the occasional whining could be the TC itself, and not my P/S pump or A/C.

blargh..... and there doesnt seem to be any place around here to get a basic rebuild done for a good price... when i was looking around this summer for the GTP, places i was looking wer 1800-2200.

i need another good deal on a slightly used one like i got from tommy for the GTP :D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info