3800 oil on startup

UR LOSN

Pirate Sloth!
Oct 22, 2007
Rockford
I am finally to the point of turning my key on the GTP(been slightly longer than 3yrs). now it has come down to oil. I have talked with a few people and have gone to many search sites on the internet.

some say Rotella, or Delvac for the first oil. need high Zinc, and Phosphorus content. yet.....everywhere I go(internet) all manufactors have all reduced this content with the SJ, and SM oils.

some people have even recamended the use of motorcycle oil strictly because of the high zinc/phos content.....but yet have other detergents for lubing gears for bkes, whihc will harm my bearings as well.

does anyone know of any NONsynthetic oils that are still made pre-SJ rated?

what have you used? I have a box of M1 oil filters from a blazer(bigger filter/more filtration) ready to go....just need oil.

any help would well....really help out

I already know what oil I am using after 500miles....just need to figure what I use for start up....my head hurts.

I

imported_snoop

you put assembly lube on all rotating assumblies right? assuming you did all that and coated them pretty good, you should be fine with any good oil i.e. valvaline, royal purple, mobile one. you will be fine dude, (again assuming you dont turn the key and run that puppy out the back door at 6 grand chasing down vettes and shit). your fine, as long as you used the assembly lube.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
rotella is recomended because unlike gasoline api service oils, it still has the zinc/phosphate addatives (the main reason they went to low metal content oils is because the zinc prematurly kills your catalytic converter-diesels dont have that issue) thats one of the reasons, other than the real reason to do this is because of the fed mandated 80k catalytic converter warranty, which would you want as a corporation...replace lots of expensive catalytic converters....or use oils with alot fewer high pressure lubricants that would cause an engine to wear out faster (but still last past the warranty period) yay fer bean counters.....
flat tappet cams HATE the new api service oils

my recomendation, use regular 5or 10w30 dino juice with comp cams break in lube etc (buy a case and after the first whole bottle for breakin just put half a bottle in each oil change.....

i would highly suggest priming the engine before startup

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info