3800 ramblings of a madman

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
as you can probably figure i'd love to find one of these...(the top mill esp!!!!11!)

http://www.millportmachines.com/

i sooo wish this was closer...(van norman #12) god damn this thing would be a joy to play with http://www.practicalmachinist.com/ubb/ulti...pic/4/5958.html

but it looks like this will possibly be my next toy...a frankenstein creation of course...but you cant beat good old american iron...if i get it i will probably rework the original horizontal cutting shaft rigged up with a seperate motor so i can do horizontal milling :D

the base is an old lineshaft driven (old factory belt driven setups that had many machines powered by giant steam/etc engines) medium duty horizontal mill (with knee) made by becker-brainard with an 8x48 inch table and stands ~5 and a half ft tall (not including head and motor) i'll be looking for a datecode today when i go check it out...

more info on a similar style unit see here (hey i like showing stuff i find nifty) http://shopswarf.orcon.net.nz/brain4.html

the head is a rare piece but is valued for it's high spindle speeds especially for aluminum milling and along with the rack and pinion quill it has a fine quill feed. the round ram is kinda handly with angling the head for angle cuts...

it's a little heavier (we are talking ~1000-1500lbs!) than i was expecting to find in my $ range of a fixerupper but it'll do quite nicely ;)

on the plus side it comes with a 1/2 inch chuck (i really need this guy lol) the chucks arent too hard to find (brown and sharpe #9 taper tooling kinda similar to my morse #2 taper tooling but for use with a drawbar/milling) and it's already disassembled for transport (this is the kind of puzzle i like folks...one's miller has not touched lol) and it runs on 220v (no 3 phase fer me)

whadya think? it'll look nice next to my (now) dinky clausing... (ignore the guys garage crud lol)

should i clean it real nice and paint it or should i leave the 100years of "patina" on the base?

BeckerBrainardmillbeforedisassembly.jpg

BeckerBrainardmillbeforedisassem-1.jpg

he who dies with the most tools wins....or is that toys?!? :lolsign:

i'm gonna see what else he has for sale...i know the bandsaw is gone (aint it purdy? god i love the work that went into old tools)

wish me luck!...if not i keep searching

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
ha! i wish...that was me at Al's place

today we should get the new rear engine bellhousing pattern redrilled and get it bolted up to the 4t80e

then we can see how current aftermarket headers/oe manifolds clear the shift arm/range switch (i can move the range switch inside onto the shifter itself)

i'll give you a call when we get the clearances checked out in case it's something to worry about with the whore... ;)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info