3800 First scan

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Finally got the usb adapter to work with my hptuners. Cleared the rear O2 code since the car has no cat. Ill disable it as soon as I get the credits. :lolsign:

Saw no knock up until 95ish. Spiked to 3 then slowly started to go down. O2s were 870s on the narrowband when the knock came. Otherwise they stayed around 890s IIRC. Ill try to get the scan uploaded tomorrow. See what some people can point out.

I tried to mess with the editor. According to the HPT site, your supposed to try and read the PCM and it will say if it can or not and give you the option to buy the credits. Well, it failed to read it and then the car wouldnt start at first. Let it sit for a minute and it started right up. Now theres a loss of com from the VCM in the DTCs now. The car ran fine. I didnt just fuck up my first PCM did I??

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
If you're using the latest version (2.1.18 for the most vehicle coverage) it only prompts you for licenses on write (you can read as many vehicles as you want) ... at least that's how it works w/the V2 cables and I believe is the case w/the V1 also

what brand USB to Serial converter did you get? (Hopefully not a radioshack or belkin one?)... they were known to cause communication issues

Since you only tried a read there's no way to cause any damage to the PCM (when HPT connects, it has to tell everything in the car to shutup basically... when the read failed, these devices were still in "quiet" mode most likely)

Cig fuse is one thing to check as mentioned (however it shouldn't blow during a read unless you've got some other wiring issues)

Since you know it won't read now, best bet is to send the VCM Info log to HPT (support at hptuners dot com)

(it's best to use the latest version... the software upgrades are free and can be downloaded on your customer logon page... you should have gotten the info from whomever you purchased it from so that the logon could be changed)

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
If you're using the latest version (2.1.18 for the most vehicle coverage) it only prompts you for licenses on write (you can read as many vehicles as you want) ... at least that's how it works w/the V2 cables and I believe is the case w/the V1 also

what brand USB to Serial converter did you get? (Hopefully not a radioshack or belkin one?)... they were known to cause communication issues

Since you only tried a read there's no way to cause any damage to the PCM (when HPT connects, it has to tell everything in the car to shutup basically... when the read failed, these devices were still in "quiet" mode most likely)

Cig fuse is one thing to check as mentioned (however it shouldn't blow during a read unless you've got some other wiring issues)

Since you know it won't read now, best bet is to send the VCM Info log to HPT (support at hptuners dot com)

(it's best to use the latest version... the software upgrades are free and can be downloaded on your customer logon page... you should have gotten the info from whomever you purchased it from so that the logon could be changed)
[/b]

Thanks for the info. The adapter that the guy gave me with the HPT was a radioshack one. <_< Guess Ill be buying a keyspan from work soon again. I want to say this is the V1 box. He said he bought it before the credit system. He gave me the serial # so I changed all the info on the customer log in page. I have the current 2.1.18.

After the failed read, I was still able to access the PCM VIA scanner. Ill check the fuses anyway. I actually checked the DTCs before and after the failed read.

Before:

[PCM] P0140 - HO2S Circuit Insufficient Activity Bank 1 Sensor 2 (SES) (Old) (History) (Current) (Immature)
[PCM] P0705 - Trans Range Switch Circuit (History) (Immature)
[HUD] B1000 - ECU Malfunction (History) (Immature)
[Unknown] U1096 - Loss of Communications with IPC (History) (Immature)
[HVAC] U1096 - Loss of Communications with IPC (History) (Immature)
[HVAC] B0361 - Unknown (History) (Current) (Immature)

After

[HVAC] - Loss of Communications with IPC (History) (Immature)
[Unknown] U1096 - Loss of Communications with IPC (History) (Immature)
[HUD] B1000 - ECU Malfunction (History) (Immature)
[Brake] U1300 - Class 2 Short to Ground (History)
[Unknown] U1016 - Loss of Class 2 Communication with VCM (History) (Immature)
[HVAC] B0361 - Unknown (History) (Current) (Immature)
[Brake] U1016 - Loss of Class 2 Communication with VCM (History)
[HVAC] B0441 - Unknown (History) (Current) (Immature)

Here is a general scan from my parking garage to my leasing office. Just trying to get general scans all around to see what I can inprove on for MPG.

http://www.scandepot.net/viewscan.php?pk=4253

First highway WOT

http://www.scandepot.net/viewscan.php?pk=4254

Second highway WOT and side street back home. This is where the KR came in.

http://www.scandepot.net/viewscan.php?pk=4255

I

imported_Ron Vogel

IMHO, you are trying to go too lean on it. Your IPW's are pretty low coupled with the fact your 02's are low too. On PEM's that would be marginal, on headers it's way leaner than it should be. Remember, the hotter the 02 sensor, the lower the #'s. On headers the exhaust has more time to cool before the 02 sensor so you should shoot a little higher. You should be able to be KR free on 17 degrees advance with 920mv 02's, IPW's should be 17-18ms at that point.

Also, you'll never get 920's across the board. Might start at 940's and trail off to 900-910 on top.

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
FYI those loss communication codes are normal... confused people when they started putting any codes on the system bus in the scanner... but it's perfectly normal to receive those codes...

The fact that you're seeing the codes means it's communicating... and if the scanner works then the cig fuse is fine

You only care about the [PCM] codes... the rest result because HPT tells the other modules to shutup... and they don't take kindly to it so they set a temporary code (nothing that emissions picks up)

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
FYI those loss communication codes are normal... confused people when they started putting any codes on the system bus in the scanner... but it's perfectly normal to receive those codes...

The fact that you're seeing the codes means it's communicating... and if the scanner works then the cig fuse is fine

You only care about the [PCM] codes... the rest result because HPT tells the other modules to shutup... and they don't take kindly to it so they set a temporary code (nothing that emissions picks up)
[/b]

Awsome. Thanks again for the info and heads up on the USB adapter.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• Fish
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list