3800 The Ruins of Summerwind Mansion

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
Ive always been into exploring abandoned or supposedly haunted places. Ever since MIKES3 told me the story about his cousins experiences nearly 20 years ago in this house called "Summer Wind" in Northern Wisconsin. Mike maybe you can chime and and post up your story you posted on clubgp.

Summerwind is know was "Wisconsins most haunted house". Now my summary of its history. It was built in the early 20th century as a Fishing lodge, in 1917 Robert Lemont bought the house and converted it into a mansion. I guess when it was built supposedly there was a deed to land rights of 1/3 of Wisconsin burried in the foundation by this Carver guy. The deed was given to him by the Indians. Carver supposedly haunted the house as a ghost looking for his land deed. Lemont one day saw this ghost and fired two shots at it (bullet holes were found by later owners on the door) and left the house NEVER to come back again. (1930's) Another owner bought the house but experienced nothing that wasn't ordinary. Those people passed away and a family moved into Summerwind in the 70's. It was in this period that most of the hauntings took place. Doors would slam, gun shots would be herd, things would be moved, and even a dead body was supposedly found under a dresser one day. The house was sold to the familys father then later abandoned in 1979. It then sat and fell apart then in the late 1980's it was supposedly struck by lightning and burned to the ground.

I urge you guys to read the fallowing websites as they have VERY interesting facts and history on this house.

http://www.prairieghosts.com/summer.html
http://summerwindmansion.com/Summerwind_History.html

Anyway....So I was sitting on my laptop talking to MIKES3 on AIM while on Vacation with family in Boulder Junction, WI when I remembered Mikes story about Summerwind. I also realized that this place couldnt be too far from where I am. I did some research and found out some cryptic directions to the place so I got a general idea of where it was. I found out it was probably 20-30 minutes from where I was staying on the shores of West Bay lake. The closest real town that would be on a map is "Land O Lakes, WI" I decided to go see if I could find the place as there wasnt going to be any better time then now.

So I goto the West Bay Lake area and fallow the cryptic directions guess what? Didnt find the place. I drove down lots of dirt roads and unmarked driveways and ended up in front of peoples houses alot. After about 45 min of driving around I give up and decide todo some more research and come back. We continue our drive to Land O Lakes. On the way back to Boulder Junction I think to myself. Im probably not going to be up in this area for a while at least in the summer than is, if I want to find the house the time is now. I drive down this rundown road/driveway with signs that say "private drive" that I havent been down before. at a Y in the road I go right and end up near some peoples houses. I go back to the Y and go the other direction and find another Y down the road. I continue left as I can see the other direction goes to someones house. I get to a dead end with a few cabins deep in the woods. Im thinking, WTF where is this place, ive been down every single road/driveway on the south shore of this lake. So I start driving out. On the left side I see what looks to be part of a old gate. Didnt think anything of it and drove past. A few seconds later sometime told me to turn around so I did. I go back to the gate and look around. I didnt see any mailbox or red house number as all the other places had. I parked the Durango and started walking down the overgrown dirt road.

DSC_1043.jpg

DSC_1044.jpg

After a few hundred feet of walking THIS comes out from around the corner.

DSC_1045.jpg

I FOUND IT.

DSC_1061.jpg

Summerwind_03_combinedimages.jpg

early 1980's picture of Summerwind.

Alot more of my pictures and more old pics I found online posted on The Chicago Garage
http://www.thechicagogarage.org/viewtopic.php?t=1161

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• PANDA
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list