3800 Screw this thing.

thebullfrog

Addict
Sep 12, 2008
Algonquin
Real Name
Jerimiah
So my pile of fucking shit GTP broke again today. This officially makes it the worst car I've ever owned. I have never driven a less reliable car. And I've always owned DSMs. Lost the steering today on my lunch break. The steering is lose as shit (feels like an 82 Caddy) it wanders all over the road, and the wheel doesn't return to center. At all. If I let go of the wheel going straight, it goes straight so long as I don't hit a bump. Hitting a bump on the pass. side means going off the road. If I let go with the wheel turned, the car just keeps going in circles unless I straighten the wheel myself. I hate this fucking car.

thebullfrog

Addict
Sep 12, 2008
Algonquin
Real Name
Jerimiah
Gutted intake and zzp 1.0. That's it. I get on it at times, but I really don't beat it at all. To be honest I do love the cars, just not mine LOL. IDK, I was thinking of trading it in next year anyways. Wind up upside down on the loan, but whatever. Fix up the obvious stuff like the deer impact, and see what kind of trade in I can pull off. I want an LS-1 F-body. Or failing that perhaps just get a WRX so I can still drive in the winter.

dole21

TCG Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
South Carolina
So my pile of fucking shit GTP broke again today. This officially makes it the worst car I've ever owned. I have never driven a less reliable car. And I've always owned DSMs. Lost the steering today on my lunch break. The steering is lose as shit (feels like an 82 Caddy) it wanders all over the road, and the wheel doesn't return to center. At all. If I let go of the wheel going straight, it goes straight so long as I don't hit a bump. Hitting a bump on the pass. side means going off the road. If I let go with the wheel turned, the car just keeps going in circles unless I straighten the wheel myself. I hate this fucking car.
[/b]

I've had mine 6 years now.

I've had one window motor break. Other than that, its about it.
I know people here with 100k+ on the motor trans and havnet had any issues.

You just have bad luck or beat on it more than you say lol

thebullfrog

Addict
Sep 12, 2008
Algonquin
Real Name
Jerimiah
No, I know it's just bad luck. I know the cars are generally pretty reliable. I just wound up with a bad copy. Thing is it really does run freakin awesome. I know it'll always start every time and get me o where I need to go. The trnas. is actually holding up really well. It went bad to point, then stopped. It slips bad when it first goes into drive, then a tad every so often going into second, but it hasen't gotten worse and is holding up nicely. It's really just a bunch of other little crap that's building up in a big way. Needs rear sway bar end-links (I was just gonna replace it all with the GMPP kit) that damned vibration (which may be related to this problem) the alt is starting to go (makes a lot metallic/ dying bearings noise when the car is first started), the trans crap, this prob. and the deer thing. It's just that it's all deciding to happen at one time and it's pissing me off because don't have the money to fix it all at once. I could deal with all this crap one at a time and not care (well, besides the trans.) but everything decided to break at one time. I figure on one hand "at least it'll all be fixed and it'll be good for a while then", but then I think "what's going to break after I sink all this money into fixing this stuff"? The second question is what makes me wanna give up. So I don't know, we'll see. I'll def. keep it through this winter for sure. Oh, and it has an exhaust leak too LOL. Not to mention the radio display is out and 2 of the DIC lights went out. Stupid minor B.S., but again, all at once.

thebullfrog

Addict
Sep 12, 2008
Algonquin
Real Name
Jerimiah
Comfier seats? These are the comfiest seats I've ever owned LOL. I wish they had more lateral support though, I really hate sliding around. After some thought I've actually started to wonder if the ZZP is the root of the trans. prob. since it started not too long after I put in the PCM and it almost seems like it doesn't build any line pressure when it's first put into gear then it grabs all at once. It's not like it slips then starts to engage, it slips like crazy then grabs like a mofo instantly and holds on fine from then on provided you never shift out of drive. I may switch to a DHP in the near future anyway, so we'll see. I love my engine it's been great other than the typical LIM prob. but that was to be expected so I don't really count that. I'm hoping the vibration and sudden loss of steering ability are related (I suspect they are) that kills 2 birds right there. I've had a 3.0 DP in my garage since January so getting around to throwing that onn takes care of the exhaust leak. Overall, my problems may not really be all that bad (I hope), too bad I'm cursed and they all decided to show up at once.

thebullfrog

Addict
Sep 12, 2008
Algonquin
Real Name
Jerimiah
It's a 2000. And Tie rods are my primary theory right now. I took a quick gander at work and they were still attatched, but I didn't have a chance to check out there overall condition. It almost feels like driving with no front sway bar, but I'm still leaning towards the tie rods. I thought about the rack, but I've had a bad one before and it didn't feel like this.

thebullfrog

Addict
Sep 12, 2008
Algonquin
Real Name
Jerimiah
Yeah. In the back. Thing is I never looked because even when sitting still the wheel felt WAY to loose. Like the steering wheel of an arcade machine. But with air in the tire it seems fine. Only thing I can think of is the weight leaning towards the back took enough pressure off the front to make it easier to steer. It's still going to my mechanic anyways to have the vibration figured out and fixed, so if there is another issue it'll be taken care of.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info