3800 The Slowest, Rarest Grand Prix is a V8

1986 Pontiac Grand Prix 2 + 2, very rare and unusual. Pontiac produced 1225 Aerocoupes, very low production number. This is a street car based on a race car. Nascar required a minimum number of cars to be built to be considered a production car. This car came stock with a 165 HP V8, 4 barrel carb, 4 speed automatic with overdrive, rear wheel drive, 10 bolt limited slip rear end and front disc brakes.
SPECS:
$18,214
305 V8 165 HP @ 4200 RPM's
245 ft. lbs torque @ 2400 RPM's
3.08 rear limited slip diff
3626 pounds
22 pounds per horsepower!!

PERFORMANCE:
0-60 10.2
0-100 32.3
1/4 mile 17.6 @ 80 mph
Top Speed 114 mph

========================================================
22frontreduxsp3.jpg

22reduxyl1.jpg

22sideprofilereduxzy9.jpg

22interiorreduxdn7.jpg

22enginereduxke0.jpg

GM screwed-up big time by not putting the L98 in the Grand Prix and Monte Carlo back in the 80's!

In 1986, 5.0 'Stang's, Monte SS's, Camaro's and T/A's ruled the streets. Any car that could run 15.0 and under in the 1/4 mile were considered musclecar performance.

b4black

before black
Jun 6, 2008
Oswego
GM screwed-up big time by not putting the L98 in the Grand Prix and Monte Carlo back in the 80's!
[/b]

L98? Why not do it right and go with a LC2? I had one back when they were new. I wrongly assumed they had the same drivetrain as a MCSS. Handled great, but was a slug. Putting in the Buick Turbo V6 would have made it perfect.

Chevy did put a Buick Turbo V6 in the Monte Carlo back in 1980 and 1981. Too bad the dealership mechanics couldn't figure out how to fix them. If they continued with the motor, the MCSS would have been a true perfomance car.

<div class='quotemain'> GM screwed-up big time by not putting the L98 in the Grand Prix and Monte Carlo back in the 80's!
[/b]

L98? Why not do it right and go with a LC2? I had one back when they were new. I wrongly assumed they had the same drivetrain as a MCSS. Handled great, but was a slug. Putting in the Buick Turbo V6 would have made it perfect.

Chevy did put a Buick Turbo V6 in the Monte Carlo back in 1980 and 1981. Too bad the dealership mechanics couldn't figure out how to fix them. If they continued with the motor, the MCSS would have been a true perfomance car.
[/b][/quote]
It wasn't just that easy...
Part of the reason that the GP and MCSS had the dog motors and the Grand National had the 3.8 turbo[LC2], was because of CAFE requirements and rivalry within the corporate divisions of GM; with Buick having the kings ransom on luxury and performance options.

GM always wants the Corvette to be the fastest and best performing auto in their line up. When Buick decided to manufacture the Grand National, Chevy squawked and complained because the GN out-performed the 'Vette in nearly all performance windows except handling.

If you had your choice of any *domestic* 1986 auto, what would IT be?
Me? i'd take a Grand National, thank you...

My 1986 fantasy car would be the Grand Prix or Monte SS with an L98 or LC2 motor

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'> GM screwed-up big time by not putting the L98 in the Grand Prix and Monte Carlo back in the 80's!
[/b]

[/b][/quote]
It wasn't just that easy...
Part of the reason that the GP and MCSS had the dog motors and the Grand National had the 3.8 turbo[LC2], was because of CAFE requirements and rivalry within the corporate divisions of GM; with Buick having the kings ransom on luxury and performance options.

GM always wants the Corvette to be the fastest and best performing auto in their line up. When Buick decided to manufacture the Grand National, Chevy squawked and complained because the GN out-performed the 'Vette in nearly all performance windows except handling.

If you had your choice of any *domestic* 1986 auto, what would IT be?
Me? i'd take a Grand National, thank you...

My 1986 fantasy car would be the Grand Prix or Monte SS with an L98 or LC2 motor
[/b][/quote]

I tried to call you but it was the wrong number. If you need it I can drop it off Saturday afternoon I will be coming back from Ohare. And your on the way back.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info