3800 Stereo and stock amp replacement question

I

imported_GraFFix

OK my speakers in my GP are shot...the rears rattle and sound like shit. Im not sure how the stereo and stock amp are hooked up. I was wondering if there was a way to remove the stock amp and put a after market amp in its place.

The reason I ask is cause I have an amp and speakers from my last car and its been sitting in a box forever. I have some Orion 5.25 2 ways that will fit in the doors of the GP and I also have some 6" Orion Mids mounted to a 6x9 peice of MDF for the rears and an amp to power them. It sounded kick ass in my old car so I thought why not use them in the GP.

Anyways, Is there a way to hook up the new amp to the stock radio and then use the existing speaker wire thats in the car to hook up the new speakers. I dont think the stock radio has any outs on the back so im not sure how to hook up a aftermarket amp to it or if its even possible. thats why I was thinking of trying to use the wiring that goes to the stock amp. I really dont want to get all involved in this and have to buy a new headunit and run wiring through the car. If I cant do it ill just buy some cheap 6x9's and call it the day. I just figured I had this shit sitting for a while might as well use it.

If there is anyone out there that knows how to hook this up i can toss a little cash your way to get some decent sounds back.

LMK

I

imported_PaceCarBoozer

Use a high to low level converter, basically makes speaker wires into an RCA jack. I just tapped into the feed from my rear speakers. You actually have 4 speakers in the rear. Two of them have a filter on them, don't remember which one, so you will have to check both. Anyways, hook up the converter(very easy) then plug in to the amp, and from the amp, back to the speakers.
If you want the fronts and rear separated, you will have to use two converters, one from the front, and one from the rear.
I run the system in my car in this way, but I am running my whole car off of just the rear speakers. The one set of RCA's I split into a elec. crossover to two amps which run a component kit up front, 6x9's in the rear and one 10" sub.
Anyways, yes, you can do it.
CJ

I just noticed that you want to use the stock wiring, if thats the case.......well, this will still work, kinda. If you don't want to spend the time on this, just buy the 6x9's and be done with it. Good luck and god speed.

superchargedgp

TCG Elite Member
Nov 11, 2008
use line converters 2 2channel onse or one 4 channel. hook them up to the harness going into the factory amp, unplug the factory amp. hook up your aftermarket speaker amp output speaker wires to the output harness of the factory amp. if its not bose its located behind the glovebox, if its bose its between the rear 6x9's if i recall.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• I
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list