3800 Im excited..

Xtant12

TCG Elite Member
May 31, 2007
so if everything goes well I should have a new car by saturday.. It all depends on the car fax report that I have to get.. Does anyone know if there is a way to get them free?? Well anyways, the GP will go in storage until I get enough for the tranny.. The new car gets better milage anyways and wont kill me driving to work everyday.. Im not really going for speed this time, thats what the GTP is for.. Im leaning towards looks style and gas milage.. well, wish me luck.. Thanks for reading...

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
What kinda tool posts about getting a new car and doesent even say what kinda car he is getting or more details?

From this post it sounds like your trans took a shit and your going to buy another car to drive untill you get money for a trans?

Why not just take the money you are going to spend on a car and put a trans in the GTP, its not like a lightly moded GTP is a bad daily driver.

Xtant12

TCG Elite Member
May 31, 2007
What kinda tool posts about getting a new car and doesent even say what kinda car he is getting or more details?

From this post it sounds like your trans took a shit and your going to buy another car to drive untill you get money for a trans?

Why not just take the money you are going to spend on a car and put a trans in the GTP, its not like a lightly moded GTP is a bad daily driver.
[/b]

I didnt want to post what kind, I knew people would poke fun of me.. If all goes well I should have a 98 GS 400 on Saturday...

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
I didnt want to post what kind, I knew people would poke fun of me.. If all goes well I should have a 98 GS 400 on Saturday...[/b]

Why would we make fun of a GS400, Thats a nice car. So that is gonna be your daily driver and your GTP is gonna be your "race car"? Sounds like a dumb move because the lexus is RWD and V8, I doubt it will get any better gas milage. Why not just sell the GTP altogether, it would be a nice cunk of change to put down on the Lexus.

i'm confused then....you dont have the money for a 2-3k trans but you DO have the money for a lexus? and mike is right. a v8 isnt gonna get that much better mileage. how many miles are on the car? if you're looking for something w/ just good gas mileage, save your money and buy a hatch or something. just my .02 of course. either way, good luck with the purchase

Xtant12

TCG Elite Member
May 31, 2007
a zzp or wbs trans is only like 2-3k (unless things have changed since i had a gtp)...why not just invest the cash into a trans instead of going out and getting another car? unless its a real beater and insurance is insanely cheap. my guess is ure looking at a honda
[/b]

All I can say is the right offer came about and I would be stupid not to take it... The car is going to sit till I get things in order...

I find your logic:
spockhb3.jpg

:blink:

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
when i used to work at Arlington Perf Center and worked on crap like that i swore i'd never have one...then i got my toyota cressida for free (just before toyota created lexus) and it's already cost me over 1000$ and i still have more shit to do to it...

and maintenance ist very cheap either...price out rebuilding the GS400's trans and youll see what i mean... if it's a 98 with nearly 120k on the clock, budget for WP and other big ticket items

in my honest opinion if your getting it for <1500$ and the car is in fair condition (though possibly in nickle and dimin' mode) it may be worth it...just be prepared is all i'm saying

Xtant12

TCG Elite Member
May 31, 2007
when i used to work at Arlington Perf Center and worked on crap like that i swore i'd never have one...then i got my toyota cressida for free (just before toyota created lexus) and it's already cost me over 1000$ and i still have more shit to do to it...

and maintenance ist very cheap either...price out rebuilding the GS400's trans and youll see what i mean... if it's a 98 with nearly 120k on the clock, budget for WP and other big ticket items

in my honest opinion if your getting it for <1500$ and the car is in fair condition (though possibly in nickle and dimin' mode) it may be worth it...just be prepared is all i'm saying
[/b]

The car has 101,019 miles on it and Im getting it for 8k.. I think thats a good deal... all depends on the car fax report today.. Still cheaper than a GTO...

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
The car has 101,019 miles on it and Im getting it for 8k.. I think thats a good deal... all depends on the car fax report today.. Still cheaper than a GTO... [/b]

for what ~18mpg city? hell i think the GTO is rated near that...

i didnt look into my book but i know that they are interfearance engines, so you may want to fork over the ~500+$ to have the T belt and WP replaced, cause at 101k i can gaurantee no one has done it yet...otherwise youll junk the car because you wont want to see the repair bill for bent and broken valves, we payed almost 2 grand for a Jyard engine i think the customer walked out the door over 3 grand lighter lol

dont get me wrong toyota's have great engineering in them...it's just that a rebadged avalon with a V8 & RWD in this 3.50 a gallon world doesnt sound like a smart choice for a DD...especially at 8K$

now if you lived next door to the guy that owned it, and your getting it with a whole stack of maint reciepts it may be a very good deal, but if your getting it off a lot, be VERY wary remember how you would like to drive it is probably how it's been drive for the last 101,000 miles (scary huh? lol)

basically if you buy a high end car...you better be ready for the big ticket repairs that they come with...

a better deal for ya would be an avalon with the V6 or one of the I4 toyota's....the smaller the toyota engine the cheaper it is...and youll save more money on petrol to put towards your trans...

i'm not trying to be harsh and surely take my advice with a grain of salt, but hopefully youll use the 2 cents of someone who made his living repairing imports and euro-pee-on cars...

good luck

thebullfrog

Addict
Sep 12, 2008
Algonquin
Real Name
Jerimiah
A GS400 (though it is a nice car) for 8 grand, when I'm about to get a WBS trans. in the near future for around $2,500. So I'll just restate that:

I find your logic:
spockhb3.jpg

:blink:
[/b]

Don't get me wrong it isn't too bad a deal, but damn, why pay the insurance and extra maintenance on that car when you can just fix the GTP? I could understand if you were grabbing a Civic hatch, or a Celica or something, but an $8,000 GS400 as an extra DD while you wait to fix the GTP just doesn't seem to make much sense to me.

thebullfrog

Addict
Sep 12, 2008
Algonquin
Real Name
Jerimiah
Out of curiosity I checked. The GS400 get's WORSE milage than a GTP. By like several MPG. Granted your GTP is modded so the MPG may be lower than stock, but I'll bet it's roughly the same as a stock GS400. I don't really get what it is you think buying this car will accomplish other than making you look pimp while driving it. I'm not saying you shouldn't get it (it's up to you anyway) and I really do like the cars. They're decently quick, they're extremely nice, and hey it's a Toyota so it should be fairly reliable. For 8 grand it's a decent deal so it's all good. I just think your reasoning for getting it is a bit off. Doesn't make much sense to finance a new car (I'm assuming that's what your doing if u can't afford a trans.) when you could spend a fuckload less to fix the GTP.

Xtant12

TCG Elite Member
May 31, 2007
My bro averages 15-16 in his Goat, I am getting almost 10 mpg better in my G6..

But anyway sounds like you are trying to justify a new car to yourself for all the wrong reasons, or untrue ones at that...
[/b]

GUYS this is why I didnt want to post.. I should have left this as a surprise.. I want the car because I have ALWAYS wanted one.. I love how they look and the deal is awesome.. I dont really want to put all this money in the GTP right now.. I dont have to worry about going fast in the GS, I dont have to do anything to it to make it nice, and its a good car.. well, there is not much to it than that.. They last forever and I have hear nothing but good things.. Its 4 ddor, easy to put things in.. well, im sure youll all see it at meets...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info