3800 My computer is running like ass

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
For some reason last week my PC started to run like ass. I just installed an extra 1 gig of RAM and did a full reinstall of everything less then 2 months ago. Now it takes for ever to load anything up. Internet browsing is a joke. I cant play CS cause it lags then I see dead bodies fall for ever. And when it comes back Im dead and looking at someone elses screen.

Ive scanned with the free mcafee from comcast. What else could I do?

Also my wireless router decided to crap out on me at the same time.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
There has been alot of problems with microsoft updates lately. One issue basically slows the shit out of your computer making it practically unusable. alt-control-del and goto processes, see if svchost.exe is using up alot of the CPU usage. If so end that process, long on to microsoft update. Click "change settings", then check the box that says "stop using microsoft update". Restart.

Are you running Norton 2006+?

Have you run a diagnostic/chkdsk on your hard-drive?

Did you try adjusting things that startup on bootup?

CompGd

Regular
Aug 16, 2008
Carol Stream
There has been alot of problems with microsoft updates lately. One issue basically slows the shit out of your computer making it practically unusable. alt-control-del and goto processes, see if svchost.exe is using up alot of the CPU usage. If so end that process, long on to microsoft update. Click "change settings", then check the box that says "stop using microsoft update". Restart.

Are you running Norton 2006+?

Have you run a diagnostic/chkdsk on your hard-drive?

Did you try adjusting things that startup on bootup?
[/b]

X2
My Dad told me about those problems with the updates. Best of luck with your prob!

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
My laptop and PC are both currently updated. My laptop is has alot less ram, and slower processor but is running faster then my PC. I noticed bit torrent eats up memory in spikes like I experience, but even with that turned off it still lags up for a few seconds out of nowhere.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
My laptop and PC are both currently updated. My laptop is has alot less ram, and slower processor but is running faster then my PC. I noticed bit torrent eats up memory in spikes like I experience, but even with that turned off it still lags up for a few seconds out of nowhere.
[/b]

Did you check out how much CPU usesage svhost.exe is using like I said? Its most likely a software issue.

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
it's a few days later now, are you still having the issue?

if you are, let me know. I've been dealing with the svchost.exe issues at work. there are some work arounds and fixes from microsoft. .....

you will most likely not be able to "end process" the svchost.exe, it's protected.
[/b]

... continuing on....

you'll actually want to do 2 things.

1st, once you get into windows, right click my computer, select Manage from the dropdown list.
in the computer management window that opens, double click Services and Applications. (right hand column). then you will be able to click on Services, again in the right hand column. in the services list (again on the right column) find and right click on the Automatic Updates entry, and select the Stop option.

Then, navigate to C:\windows\, and find the folder called SoftwareDistribution-- delete it. Reboot.

Download the patch from Microsoft for KB927891

run it

reboot

other than that, you should download hijackthis and take a scan, post the log results and we can take a look at any unneccessary crap that could slow you down

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Well its not svchost. I just said fuck it and did a full format and reinstall. Now it is still running like shit. Said that it was going to take 39 minutes to install XP.................6 hours ago. Its still installing!!!

I have my old HD that Im going to install that has my old setup and see how that works. If its still running like ass then Im gonna guess its the motherboard or something. As I said on my first post. My router crapped out the same night. There was a huge thunderstorm and Jacque thinks that lightning might have struck the parking lot since it was so close.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
Well its not svchost. I just said fuck it and did a full format and reinstall. Now it is still running like shit. Said that it was going to take 39 minutes to install XP.................6 hours ago. Its still installing!!!

I have my old HD that Im going to install that has my old setup and see how that works. If its still running like ass then Im gonna guess its the motherboard or something. As I said on my first post. My router crapped out the same night. There was a huge thunderstorm and Jacque thinks that lightning might have struck the parking lot since it was so close.[/b]

If a format/reinstall on a known good hard-drive doesent fix the computer, you have bigger problems. Open up your computer case, see if you see any blown caps. Check for anything out of the ordinary. Lightning or a power serge very well could have been the cause of the problem. Correct me if im wrong but cant lighting travel through phone/ethernet lines really easy? Most people dont have those pluged into a serge protector.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
Old HD is running like ass as well. Ill check all my connections but I already checked them. Guess Ill check again. Otherwise Ill be using an employee purchase through my work.[/b]

Im sure the connections are fine. CHeck for blown caps.

close-up.jpg

Mikes1998GTP

Xenon Powered
Mar 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Real Name
Mike
Are these AMD Athlon / Turion systems? :D

My conference call this morning shows that HP will have a Core 2 Quad in Best Buy shortly for around $850!! Their coming down in price and everyone is going to enjoy this huge increase in performance! Still lovin' my Core 2 Duo for now...

Are you running Vista Fish? Out of curiousity, what is your WEI score? (Windows Experience Index)

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Brought the PC to work. A coworker and I both inspected the caps and they are fine. Doesnt mean they arent shorting though.

Running XP Pro SP2. I have no clue what my WEI score is.

What should I look for if I must buy a new PC? This thing is a single core P4 3.06 ghz with 1.5 megs of ram and the thing flies when working. I see all these 1.8-2.7 ghz dual cores and Im wondering WTF. Someone enlighten me.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Longshot, but I tried starting in safe mode and noticed that it was loading all the drivers. Well, it stopped at a AGP driver which I am assuming is my video card. Could a fouled up video card be the cause??

I know it sounds retarded but figured Id throw it out there.

Also FWIW I noticed the PC speaker is all slow and dull about it now. 2 weeks ago it would beep beep everytime I start up because I dont have my fan sensor plugged in. (wrong connector) Now its a low dull drawn out beeeeeep beeeeeeep.

Mikes1998GTP

Xenon Powered
Mar 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Real Name
Mike
WEI is used in Vista, so you can ignore that one.

Have you ever gone to START---->RUN---->msconfig

you should go into the services and startup tabs and see what apps and programs are running when you boot up the computer and see if you can turn some of them off for the time being... like yahoo messenger, aim, msn messenger, weather apps, quicktime, tivo and such... if you have an HP printer, those usually startup between 5-7 apps alone.

Yes, if the bootup process is failing at the video card, if you have a spare, even a basic pci video card, pop it in there and see if you can boot into windows without problems. Should also check your case for dust on the video card heat sink/fan and also see if your running the latest firmware drivers for the card as well.

Do you by chance have pc anywhere or remote desktop setup? If you did, one of us could remote into your pc and take a look for you. If your not sure if your ports are open for it, check out PortForward.com and choose the link under HOME labeled "Port Forwarding", then choose your hardware... like if you have a Linksys router, choose your model number from the list, then choose your application, like PC Anywhere or Remote Desktop, once your setup, with an administrator password, people can log in and check out your system for you. Hope this helps...

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Ok Im going to try and explain this again. Even with nothing on the HD and just installing windows the computer is running all slow. NOTHING on the HD. The 39 minute estimate was only 6+ hours off. It has NEVER taken me that long to install windows. Hell, a fresh hard drive and 6 hours Ill have it 1/4 of the way full and playing counterstrike for 3 hours.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
My conference call this morning shows that HP will have a Core 2 Quad in Best Buy shortly for around $850!! Their coming down in price and everyone is going to enjoy this huge increase in performance! Still lovin' my Core 2 Duo for now...[/b]

What good is a quad core processor? The only OS's that support quad core are Linux and MAYBE 2003 Server.

You work for HP, dont you realize they make shit? Custom home-built systems FTW.

Brought the PC to work. A coworker and I both inspected the caps and they are fine. Doesnt mean they arent shorting though.

Running XP Pro SP2. I have no clue what my WEI score is.

What should I look for if I must buy a new PC? This thing is a single core P4 3.06 ghz with 1.5 megs of ram and the thing flies when working. I see all these 1.8-2.7 ghz dual cores and Im wondering WTF. Someone enlighten me.[/b]

Ive seen systems with power issues and the caps were fine, I think its time to think about getting a new system. Maybe test the components and use whatever is good. Assuming you dont have a HP, Dell, etc all components can be easily swaped. Maybe a new motherboard can fix the problem.

If you looking for a new PC, BUILD ONE YOURSELF. Do NOT buy a Dell, HP, Emachines etc, they build CRAP, and you would be much happier with a custom machine.

I would defiantly go with the Core 2 Duo, a good video card and 2GB of ram if you want to run vista in the near future. I recommend a Asus motherboard.

Ok Im going to try and explain this again. Even with nothing on the HD and just installing windows the computer is running all slow. NOTHING on the HD. The 39 minute estimate was only 6+ hours off. It has NEVER taken me that long to install windows. Hell, a fresh hard drive and 6 hours Ill have it 1/4 of the way full and playing counterstrike for 3 hours.[/b]

If you know for a fact that the HD is good, it has no bad sectors and has passed diagnostics you got bigger problems, possibly a bad motherboard.

What kinda computer is this again?

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
Dell 4550. Lasted a good 4 years with this being the first problem. Im trying to piece together a system at work to do my employee purchase program. Only problem is to find components that are all in stock otherwise my order doesnt get released to me.
[/b]

Dell did make nice machines like 4 years ago, but ever since Michael Dell wasnt the CEO they have been building crap. I think hes back though, hopefully the build quality will come back.

Mikes1998GTP

Xenon Powered
Mar 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Real Name
Mike
"What good is a quad core processor? The only OS's that support quad core are Linux and MAYBE 2003 Server.

You work for HP, dont you realize they make shit? Custom home-built systems FTW."

No, I work for Intel Part-time on top of my FT job with Panasonic. The Core 2 Quads are coming out to stores quicker then we anticipated and will be all over by early Fall. They are coming in Windows Vista machines, so add that to your list of supported OS's. AMD makes a good chip, but we are going to conquer the market this Fall. I'll have to see about sneaking you into an event to see the specs.

On a completely different subject, on my way home from work last night, I stopped over at Fry's Electronics and checked out their car audio, those square solo barric speakers are the sh*t!! I was listening to a pair of 10's connected through an 800W Polk amp and I was blown away! Very Nice!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info