Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
here's pics !!!!!!!
in the Ciera's trunk
4l80eintheCierastrunk.jpg

big aint it...yes it will fit, tight, but f&*k it we have so much **** crammed into the 442 anyway!
4l80einfrontof99gtp.jpg

c'mon i dare you to call us nuckin' futs! B) notice the side mount holes at the bottom of the side cover (load bearing cover)
polishingthe80e_yes-we-are-nuts.jpg

what? why are you looking at me that way...Al and I have an illness :D
only100morehoursofpolishingleftlol.jpg

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
<div class='quotemain'>
:rolleyes: james you need a hobby :p
[/b]

dont those come out of the n* Cadillacs? I know their were people on clubgp that used to talk about running one of those but according to them their were no benefits over a built 4t65hd. Plus you have to be a crazy fabricator to get the thing to fit in their. :lolsign:
[/b][/quote]

I think I remember a couple threads like that. I thought the people that said built 65s are better then 80s were retarded. And I think Ydtrack lead the charge. So that just proves my point more.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
The only issue that would concern me is hard parts. Are there any available in performance variatons for this transmission? I have to agree that I really don't see the benefit considering that the 4T65-E can be made to be near bullet proof however I applaud the effort and can't wait to be proven wrong.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
I think I remember a couple threads like that. I thought the people that said built 65s are better then 80s were retarded. And I think Ydtrack lead the charge. So that just proves my point more. [/b]

to a point a built 65hd is better than an 80e, like if you have the $$$$ and don't want an additional 2% parasitic loss the newer 80e's are made to handle the power of the 303HP LS4 V8

if GM thought the 65 could handle the power reliably AND cheaply they wouldnt have put the 80e in there fullsizes...

The only issue that would concern me is hard parts. Are there any available in performance variations for this transmission? I have to agree that I really don't see the benefit considering that the 4T65-E can be made to be near bullet proof however I applaud the effort and can't wait to be proven wrong. [/b]

newer 80e's are built for the V8's Tq that itself makes it heaps better than the 65 if the 4L60e is a half to 3/4(ha! they don't last long in 3/4 ton's!) ton trans and the 4L80e is the one ton truck trans i think that the 4T60/65 and 4T80e are in the same type of categories

yes the 65 can be made strong, how much does a 1 inch chain cost for a 65hd? it's stock in the 80e...

bigger input shaft, bigger output shaft, better lube system...it's just plain better

i could easily see a used stock 80e reliably handling the power that a 2500-300$ 65ehd can

if your looking for a track only trans this is it! by deleting 4th gear on the 80e you can end up with a rotational inertia allot closer to the 65 with all 4 gears also i wonder which trans would handle a trans brake better myself...

Regardless for those that drive their cars over 15000miles a year would probably prefer the comfortable overkill of the 80e

In the end it's up to the owner, but with a bit of DIY work i could see almost anyone doing this, hall maybe someone should come out with a swap kit ;)

I must add that the nice thing about James is that he actually goes through with the projects everyone else talks about. [/b]

lol thanks, not as fast as i would like...unfortunately i don't have my dream job of doing this shit 24/7 :D

Sooooo......It's Greased Lightning?
[/b]

not yet...maybe we should chrome the subframe and LCA's etc...heheh

jesus christ, what's that thing weigh?
how much heavier than a 65-hd?
[/b]

i'm glad you asked...

it weighs ~55lbs more than a 65eHD

and everything is 20-25% bigger than the 65's here is a great thread by pontiac jeff who's doing this in an H/G body with a twincharged 3800 with plenty of pictures to illustrate the massive differences

http://www.bonnevilleclub.com/forum/viewto...asc&start=0</span>

</span>

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
newer 80e's are built for the V8's Tq that itself makes it heaps better than the 65 if the 4L60e is a half to 3/4(ha! they don't last long in 3/4 ton's!) ton trans and the 4L80e is the one ton truck trans i think that the 4T60/65 and 4T80e are in the same type of categories[/b]

isnt the 4T65-E used in the grand prix gxp which is mounted to a 303hp v8?
[/b]

Yes. ;)

xierxior

Addict
Feb 2, 2008
chicago
ya'll do realise that when gm changed to that trans category system that the two numbers represented it's power/GVWR design origins...basically the 80e was designed for heavier, high power vehicles i wonder what their warranty rate is on those 65's
[/b]

its not that bad.
its not a normal 4T65-E being used in the gxp.
it's built, forged input shaft and aton of other nonsense I can't remember now but not every 4T65-E is weak :D

the 4T65-e has taken whole shots with 18" rims on my gxp now for 40k :D
I bet it blows at 100k right as the warrenty expires.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Its not like there are THAT many mods for the GXP. Even if they were abused every day that isnt too thrilling to know that the 65 is still pretty much unreliable. GM had a test drive of the GXP that alot of clubgp members and a couple vendors were allowed to go. IIRC it was Charles that said that GM told them to beat the ever loving shit out of the car. Its made to last. Obviously the tranny cannot take the heat.

Early or not, its still a 65. Even built 65s need refreshing and such otherwise they will eventually fail as well.

xierxior

Addict
Feb 2, 2008
chicago
Its not like there are THAT many mods for the GXP. Even if they were abused every day that isnt too thrilling to know that the 65 is still pretty much unreliable. GM had a test drive of the GXP that alot of clubgp members and a couple vendors were allowed to go. IIRC it was Charles that said that GM told them to beat the ever loving shit out of the car. Its made to last. Obviously the tranny cannot take the heat.

Early or not, its still a 65. Even built 65s need refreshing and such otherwise they will eventually fail as well.
[/b]

and you're basing your arugment that the built 65 in the gxp is not holding up very well on what bases? that you read a few stories on clubgp which is less then .1 of all gxp buyers?
I don't have the vast statistics that you must have access to so I can only go by my personal experience which has been very positive.

my gtp has 142k on the origional tranny now and I've beat the crap out that car since I bought it when it had 60'ish k on it.

I think alot of it has to do with how you drive the car and such.
I never get into one wheel burnout situations and I try not to punch it around turns.
I've never had any problems but it seems like some people blow the trans every other couple months :eek:

rsilva708

Oct 5, 2008

[/b]

I was one of the guys who was invited to the GXP event in arizona. The GM guys told us to beat the hell out of the cars, and we did. The two big things I remember was that when we would get back to the pit, there was a lot of burnt up clutch smell coming from under the hood, and there were a few places in the road course where the tranny would starve itself of fluid. Just about everyone there said it needed a deeper pan with some baffles in it.

The GM guys did say that the internals were different, and that we couldn't brake it.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

I was one of the guys who was invited to the GXP event in arizona. The GM guys told us to beat the hell out of the cars, and we did. The two big things I remember was that when we would get back to the pit, there was a lot of burnt up clutch smell coming from under the hood, and there were a few places in the road course where the tranny would starve itself of fluid. Just about everyone there said it needed a deeper pan with some baffles in it.

The GM guys did say that the internals were different, and that we couldn't brake it. [/b][/quote]

the 65 is still the little bastard...besides the 80e has a dry sump setup that virtually eliminates air in the fluid and resulting cavitation and line pressure drops

i still think that for the $ you can dump into a 65ehd you could drop in a stock used 80e that would handle the power easily...and leave some $ in your pocket

i worked on a 97 caddy (N* and 80e) back at harry's that the guy would beat the piss out of, one tire fire in winter, burning rubber in summer, this guy was hard on his car let me tell you, the only thing i ever did to the 80e was one trans service at 110k (100k PMplugs wires WP etc) the fluid was pretty damn good for 100+k fluid and the beating it took on daily basis, i'll tell ya that much

put more work into that cars brakes suspension engine and wiring than i ever did the trans

he sold it in 01 or 02 at just under 200k with the original trans, i know we sold it off our lot at harry's

my whole point is that built SBC guys can build a 6k$ th350 to handle their power when plenty of others do just as well with a 1500-3000$ th400

same point i'm trying to make with the 65ehd and the 80e, start bigger spend less....

to hell with the weight... overkill or roadkill? which do you choose?

but i do see ya'll 65ehd-ers points but we shouldnt be having to dump tons of $ into a trans to handle 350hp...i'll tell ya this, we will use a 65ehd in amanda's 01 GA GT when it gets it's L67...at least it's a lighter car and should hold up well enough...but if it blows chunks...in goes an 80e :lolsign:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info