3800 Pacesetters

Handsome Jesus

A V6? What a ripoff...
TCG Premium
Jun 9, 2007
Carpentersville, IL
Hey all,

I just need a little input on the topic, as im very torn on what I want to do. There is a pretty good deal on a set of uncoated pacesetters on clubGP, and I'm thinking about going with it. $275 + my stock downpipe. The stock downpipe is just sitting in my garage anyway, so i figured knocking some off the price with it is not a bad idea.

Right now I'm worried about the fact that they arent coated and have no cat. If i get these I will have no backup way to pass emissions ( as my stock DP will be gone ) and the DP i have now is catless. I have a roll of header wrap laying around, and I can get more, as well as the silicone spray, but do you guys think that these would still hold up well enough if i just went with that?

I also need to finish up the rest of my exhaust past my resonator, so im pretty much torn between doing headers or doing that in order to get rid of the knock that I have. (i have pretty limited funds) So im just wondering what you guys think about the whole deal. thanks for any input you can give!

-Dennis

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
they arent bad...esp at that price...get em

if you want you can sandblast/wire wheel em and you can try some of that high temp silver/aluminum paint a try and see how it turnes out other than that and a couple tack welds and porting they arent bad headers

one thing to note...the more movement your engine see's (rocking) the more likely the y pipe is to work loose...

we went uncoated on eric's because i still have to weld in 6 O2 bungs in the primary's before he will get them ceramic or jethot coated

we can give ya a hand with install...the least we can do since the puller is still sitting where we left it :lolsign: (long story involving al's wife and supercharger oil....)

Handsome Jesus

A V6? What a ripoff...
TCG Premium
Jun 9, 2007
Carpentersville, IL
That would be so cool if you could help me out man!

If someone just wants to toast the codes that would be awesome. I already have a rear o2 spoof on the thing so i havent had to worry about it really... I just dunno when the next time will be that i have to take an emissions test.

So you guys think thats a pretty good price though eh? I'll prolly shoot you a PM later James.

how much of a pain is it to weld the Y anyway? seems like there would be very little room to do anything... anyway, even more opinions would be much appreciated as well!

looks like ill be running headers soon ;)

-DD

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
you just tack the Y on in the car and pull it out to weld it fully...no problems there...

weld the Y and call it a day. just get someone to erase all your codes you will pop by removing your cat and O2s. for the price you will not find a better deal. and with these headers you can make the o2 sensor read from both banks unlike every other header out there. [/b]

bob's dead on...if you remove about a 1/4 inch of the O2 bung the sensor reaches into both banks exhaust...i found that when we were porting (yes you will be doing that also) some of the boogers out of eric's riv...

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
Whats everyone think of SLPs? there are some used ones for sale right now... in the classified system here no less. Definately a lot more than i was expecting to spend... but i might be able to sell off some older stuff to make the dent a little less. What do you guys think?

-DD
[/b]

I have SLPs

They seem to be working Ok B)

Their slip fit crossover can have leaking issues if you don't use SLP's clamps, or if you don't apply a little copper RTV, but that's fairly easy to fix. Little copper RTV on these 2 joints and they seal fine. They certainly don't have issues like the pacesetter guys do, of the entire exhaust falling off at the Y-pipe leaving the car running on open headers...

You really can't go wrong with SLP or Tog, although I'm still of the opinion that TOGs are very overrated.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
eric now wants true dual cutouts

we will be reworking the "y" to have the two 2.5inch pipes merge farther back with two 2.5 inch dmh cutouts going to the pancake nascar style side exhaust tips behind the front tires, hell the PS were cheap enough uncoated that he can afford to play with them, hell we're gonna chop holes in the primary's to weld in WB o2 bungs before he finally sends them to be coated

save your money up and keep looking, trust me awesome deals come along when you least expect it... ;)

mat do you think your slp's are bottlenecking your setup nowadays?

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
<div class='quotemain'>
Whats everyone think of SLPs? there are some used ones for sale right now... in the classified system here no less. Definately a lot more than i was expecting to spend... but i might be able to sell off some older stuff to make the dent a little less. What do you guys think?

-DD
[/b]

I have SLPs

They seem to be working Ok B)

Their slip fit crossover can have leaking issues if you don't use SLP's clamps, or if you don't apply a little copper RTV, but that's fairly easy to fix. Little copper RTV on these 2 joints and they seal fine. They certainly don't have issues like the pacesetter guys do, of the entire exhaust falling off at the Y-pipe leaving the car running on open headers...

You really can't go wrong with SLP or Tog, although I'm still of the opinion that TOGs are very overrated.
[/b][/quote]

??? You had to use RTV on your slip joints?? I guess thats one thing I lucked out on. I just got everything in, tightened and went.

Handsome Jesus

A V6? What a ripoff...
TCG Premium
Jun 9, 2007
Carpentersville, IL
Oooo pacesetters in the trunk... where is this said trunk located? haha Just kidding. I'm thinking a 400 dollar set of slp's that are coated is a pretty good deal... especially given i dont want to go all that much farther because im not ready for trans problems... correct me if im wrong... plus maybe i can make back 200 from selling some old stuff

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
The heads don't have anything to do with it, Jay. The head port size was optimized for the valve size, not the primary size. I imagine a larger primary header would help me make a little more power, as it seems that changing cam and heads to a combo that ought to flow alot more air resulted in minimal gains. I'm hesitant to make that comparison though, as the times from US41 were run in less optimal DA, after 3 hours of HOT runtime, and virtually no cooldown. We'll see how she runs whenever I make it up to GLD, and go from there.

If the Pacesetters didn't have the Y-pipe issues, and if I didn't have a custom exhaust flange setup on my SLP's, I probably would have gone to Pacesetters by now. I'm hesitant to change though, considering this is probably the car's last summer on the blower...

my97gtp

Addict
Oct 5, 2008
Columbus Indiana
Real Name
Jay
The heads don't have anything to do with it, Jay. The head port size was optimized for the valve size, not the primary size. I imagine a larger primary header would help me make a little more power, as it seems that changing cam and heads to a combo that ought to flow alot more air resulted in minimal gains. I'm hesitant to make that comparison though, as the times from US41 were run in less optimal DA, after 3 hours of HOT runtime, and virtually no cooldown. We'll see how she runs whenever I make it up to GLD, and go from there.

If the Pacesetters didn't have the Y-pipe issues, and if I didn't have a custom exhaust flange setup on my SLP's, I probably would have gone to Pacesetters by now. I'm hesitant to change though, considering this is probably the car's last summer on the blower...
[/b]

Whatever. :lolsign: Its been so long since we talked about it that i have forgotten exactly what your reasoning was.

systmbldr21

May 29, 2007
I was wandering the same thing about those SLP's holding you back. They have gotta be. Thats probably why Dans trap speeds are so close to yours. ( your trap speed was 116 rite?) And as for the Y problems, I havn't had any. It's all in the way you install them. Maybe you could find someone that would let you put there pacesetters on at the track so you could see what would happen.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info