3800 Calling trans people

thebullfrog

Addict
Sep 12, 2008
Algonquin
Real Name
Jerimiah
So I don't know jack about automatic transmissions since I've honestly never owned one before. Now that that's out of the way, heres my car's newest problem. I swear I should've just stuck with DSM's, I don't think I've ever had a car break this much before. I honestly wish I could sell the fucking thing at this point. Anywho, the trans problem. It has a really hard time going into gear all of a sudden. It does this in both reverse and drive. When you put it in gear, you'll feel it shift like it should, but then when I try and take off, the trans slips like crazy for about 2 seconds, the car will move but barely, and the car vibrates a bit. Then it'll jerk pretty hard and be fine. Once I'm driving it's perfect. It's only when you first put it into gear. I've tried just waiting a few seconds before hitting the gas, but it didn't make any difference. It's almost like the trans can't go into gear until I'm moving. I did notice that if you take your foot off the brake and let the car roll a few feet before giving it any gas, it seems a bit better. I first noticed it about 4 days ago, but thought it was in my head since it didn't happen again. Over the last like 2 or 3 days though it's started to do it every time. What could be causing this?

thebullfrog

Addict
Sep 12, 2008
Algonquin
Real Name
Jerimiah
Yeah, I swear every day it's something worse. How much does a trans rebuild cost? 2g. I have around $700 and I'm going on vacation next Thurs. With what I get paid it would take me 5 months to get that kind of money together. Anyone want a car? I'll check the fluid, but I seriously doubt it's low. It doesn't leak and it was fine when I checked it a couple weeks ago. Wish I didn't owe so much on it, I'd ditch the thing and get something that doesn't fall apart every week.

thebullfrog

Addict
Sep 12, 2008
Algonquin
Real Name
Jerimiah
So the fluid was a bit low, so I topped it off. Made no diff. If anything it almost seems worse now. When I first went for a quick drive to get the trans. up to temp, it shifted fine. Same when I ran to autozone for the fluid. After that it started acting up again. I kept going back and forth in my driveway, and a couple times it was fine, but about 75% it wasn't. I found that my little trick of just taking my foot off the gas for the first couple feet works wonders. Geuss I'll just have to do that until it blows. Then I'll park the car and walk 15 miles to work each way for a couple months till I can afford to fix it. Fuck this car.

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
You can get a rebuild for about 1500-1700.......basic parts, not high quality though.

If you drive the car hard and want more performance you will pay more. WHile your at it, I highly recomend the 3.29 gears and Torque Convertoer upgrade.

Drastically chages how the car feels and probably takes about .2-3tenths off your times.

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
if you cant find a junkyard one call ed morad and get a lowmileage GT tranny and swap your diff and axle
you can redrill your flexplate also to use the GT torque converter. you get 3.29 gearing and the GT TC is a higher stall. you can get these for under 800 through ed on average. they hold up quite well.

if your just giving up on the car what are you looking to get for it as is?

thebullfrog

Addict
Sep 12, 2008
Algonquin
Real Name
Jerimiah
Can't give up on the car, owe too much for it still, so I geuss I'll have to fix it. That GT set-up doesn't sound like too bad an option if I could find somebody to do the work. Otherwise, yeah I'm leaning towards a junkyard one for the time being. I geuss I'll just have to see how things go in the near future here before I make a decision. I'll have to start saving some money and shopping around. Though that 3.29 gearing would be oh-so-nice. I'll have to see what I can make happen.

Oh and Turbo400, it's perfectly fine shifting between gears. The only problem is when first shifting into Drive or Reverse. The rest of the time you would never know there's an issue.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
Oh and Turbo400, it's perfectly fine shifting between gears. The only problem is when first shifting into Drive or Reverse. The rest of the time you would never know there's an issue. [/b]

you may want to have it hooked up to a red brick (snapon MT2500 etc) and go for a drive a trans shop will be able to look at the line pressure etc and see whether there's a possibility of low/reverse apply issues...

you never know it could be a bad/leaking force motor or solenoid...

at the least you would know it's on it's way out fer sure or not..if it is drain a panworth of fluid and add 3-4 quarts of ford type F trans fluid...it's higher friction coefficient can bandaid slight/moderate slipage fairly well...

thebullfrog

Addict
Sep 12, 2008
Algonquin
Real Name
Jerimiah
<div class='quotemain'> Oh and Turbo400, it's perfectly fine shifting between gears. The only problem is when first shifting into Drive or Reverse. The rest of the time you would never know there's an issue. [/b]

you may want to have it hooked up to a red brick (snapon MT2500 etc) and go for a drive a trans shop will be able to look at the line pressure etc and see whether there's a possibility of low/reverse apply issues...

you never know it could be a bad/leaking force motor or solenoid...

at the least you would know it's on it's way out fer sure or not..if it is drain a panworth of fluid and add 3-4 quarts of ford type F trans fluid...it's higher friction coefficient can bandaid slight/moderate slipage fairly well...
[/b][/quote]

Hmmmmm.....

I

imported_GraFFix

You can get a rebuild for around 1200-1400 from Northwest transmission.

its on Northwest highway east of Harlem in Chicago.

Its a member on this forum shop, 411 the # and ask for Al or Leo. tell them your from ILGPC and see what they can do for you.

never hurts to ask...

thebullfrog

Addict
Sep 12, 2008
Algonquin
Real Name
Jerimiah
Okay, so after much deliberation and taking my stress out on people around me (sorry, all) I think I've figured out how I'm going to solve this.

Step 1: Drive 1,300 miles to Co., through the mountains, drive however many miles out there, then 1,300 miles back, through the mountains again, and just hope it doesn't break. (J/K We're gonna take my G/F's Galant, can't believe the Mitsu. is the reliable car)

Step 2: I'll be shit ass broke when I get back, so I'll baby it for a while till I get some fundage back in my posession.

Step 3: Get a used Tranny from a U-pull-it J-yard. I don't have the tools or know how for this part, so I'm really hoping I can recruit one of you guys to help me out here. You'll compensated with Taco Bell or something LOL.

Step 4: This is the important part- Eat the core charge and keep my broken tranny.

Step 5: Have my Mech. or perhaps the person who helps me pull the J-yard trans, to swap out my tranny.

Step 6: Save up some dough for a while until I can afford to get my broken tranny rebuilt through WBS or wherever, the type of rebuild/modification it gets will be decided at the time.

Step 7: Swap trannies again. Maybe keep the J-yard unit as a spare or sell it, or whatever.

This is the only way I can see making this work. So the important part, when the time comes, is anybody willing to help me out with at least obtaining the J-yard trans of not the swap? I'm really gonna need whatever help I can get. Otherwise I swear I'm just gonna take it to Co. and shove it off a mountain. Obviously your efforts will be rewarded with burritos, beer, or cash.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
where ya located?

i seriously found a 65 NON HD in the back of a wrecked 99 regal, fluid looked fairly clean....and it was sitting in the trunk...obviously this is taking a chance (since it's not 100% that it came from this vehicle -though very likely it did) but hell ya dont even have to remove it lol

there's an L36 bonnie wrecked probably a good trans...you would have to pull that one...

just start spending 2$ every few days to tromp through your local Jyards and see what you find....listen to the car it will tell you what the odds are of the trans being good...you must be tuned into your Fe-Zen :lolsign:

go to your local library and check out a service manual or two on your car...search the forums...plenty of info out there if you have questions on replacement/interchanges keep at it man...

regards, James

thebullfrog

Addict
Sep 12, 2008
Algonquin
Real Name
Jerimiah
In the Trunk? LOL. Actually when the time comes to start looking after I get back from my vacation, I'm def. going to try and find one that was rear ended or hit in the side. And don't worry, I always talk to cars anyways, so I'm not afraaid to walk right up and say "Hey baby, how's yer tranny" in my best Butthead voice. What kind of work would it take to make a NON HD trans. work? It would be nice to have the gearing, not to mention far easier to find.

thebullfrog

Addict
Sep 12, 2008
Algonquin
Real Name
Jerimiah
Yeah, this thing's toast. Leaving work a bit ago I actually babied it almost a full block before it finally went fully into first. Well, actually it never did. It just slipped until it finally went into 2nd. Went into 2nd no prob. Geuss the clutch for 1st is toast. Wondwer how much it would be to just have the clutches replaced. I know, it's a cop out, but I'm going to be totally fucked in about another week or two when it gives up the ghost. I'm gonna start talking about some options with my mech. in the next day or two. So what kind of gearing would an SSEI have?

thebullfrog

Addict
Sep 12, 2008
Algonquin
Real Name
Jerimiah
Well, okay. I got approved for a $2,000 credit card yesterday, which if maxed out will more or less pay for a Trans. At some point after my vacation WBS will most likely be getting a call. Get myself a nice rebuild. Too bad I can't afford to do 3.29 gears and a TC and shit. Oh well, at least I'll be able to drive the damn car.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info