3800 Engine swap.....

GeddyLee

Apr 1, 2008
Hello All.

This is going to be a long post, so please forgive upfront. It is needed information for the project that is ahead of me.

I have a 98 Grand Prix GT with 122xxx miles on it. During a routine oil change it was found by another member of our club that my car is blowing oil past the piston rings. It’s not to the point of failure yet, and no blue/white smoke is pouring out my exhaust. The reality is that the either I replace piston rings on a motor that has been quite dependable or do I just go with a whole new engine.
My car is nearly paid off, one more year left on payments, and she is spotless on the outside and I have done so many performance handling mods on her that I do not wish to let her go. Also for the fact I would be taking on a whole new loan for a GP, something I would rather wait on doing.

I have a couple options here.

1. Replace the piston rings on the old engine and hope she holds on after that.
2. Replace the whole engine and tranny with an 04-05 long block series III engine with the Gen V SC and get a late model 00-03 HD Tranny.

The question is, if I go with #2 option. What are the things I need to prep for such an overhaul? Hoses, pulleys, various pumps, alternator, headers perhaps etc, I need to know what to look out to make sure such build will go “almost” trouble free.

I have friends in the club I have already spoken to about this job and are willing to help, of course compensation is given due to the nature of this overhaul. What I would like to know is, what are some of the things associated with the Series III engine and the Gen V blower with a HD Tranny that I need to look out for?

1. Will or a could an 04 or 05 tranny work in a 98 Grand Prix GT or do I have to go with the 00-03 style HD tranny?
2. Do I need to get a HD radiator to replace the GT radiator
3. The wiring harness, which would be included with the long block, does anyone have schematics on how to change or adapt the wiring to the wiring to the GT components?
4. I was thinking of replacing various pumps, ie water, power steering etc to ensure things do not go wrong with them.
5. Also the upgrading of the pulleys on the motor, getting rid of the plastic pulleys in favor of more durable ones.
6. Upgrading the alternator to a heavier duty one etc.

Any input or information or links would be most welcome to assist me in this endeavor.

Thanks again for your time and attention!!

Geddy!

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
You will definatly want to replace the GT radiator for a GTP radiator. Fuel pump is another thing to look at. You will also need the fuel pump canister. A 97-02 4T65E-HD is all that will work in your car IIRC. 03s are different and 04s are even more different from what I hear. Dont forget gaskets and motor/trans mounts. You might as well do headers since they are off the car. And if your going to go even further, a cam with the engine outside the car is alot easier to install then with the engine in the car. Thats about all I can think of for now.

GL either way.

xierxior

Addict
Feb 2, 2008
chicago
go with a complete series III long block
98/2002 GT tranny and get a hd conversion kit for it
get a complete fuel pump canister out of a 98/2003 GTP
also get a PCM out of a GTP of the same year as your car

this way everything will plug into your stock harness and you'll only need to do minor modifications because of the blower.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info