3800 well thats a bit tight

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
gotta run to work but so far it's going good except ii need more parts...

issue 1 hood vs oe rails

IMG_5726.jpg

i hate how eric's is like this as well...

IMG_5718.jpg

some issues with the ic hose routing, tps connector (i hope i have one i can solder in), need that pesky alternator and acc belt and maf (steve?) real soon...

IMG_5710.jpg

mike k you wes may be getting ahold of ya...i really dont want him having to drive around with no hood...

i have a crapload more pics of the intake work, the bit i had to do to the gV, and straightening a buncha fins found some nifty stuff about the IS3 heads

gotta go to work! latter!

rsilva708

Oct 5, 2008
i have a crapload more pics of the intake work, the bit i had to do to the gV, and straightening a buncha fins found some nifty stuff about the IS3 heads

[/b]

Did Steve happen to provide those red IS3 heads I see on there? He took a set of Red IS3 heads off my 04 to sell to someone, and he just told me the other day that the guy whos car they were going on never paid him for them.

He's had my car for almost a YEAR promissing to put it back together for me, and I just got it back this past friday with half the in the trunk. Thats when I asked him about my IS3 heads, and he said the guy never paid him for them.

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

Did Steve happen to provide those red IS3 heads I see on there? He took a set of Red IS3 heads off my 04 to sell to someone, and he just told me the other day that the guy whos car they were going on never paid him for them.

He's had my car for almost a YEAR promissing to put it back together for me, and I just got it back this past friday with half the in the trunk. Thats when I asked him about my IS3 heads, and he said the guy never paid him for them.
[/b][/quote]

wait wait wait....Someone owes MILLER for parts?

You sure it isn't the other way around?

Perhaps they're refusing to pay him on account of all the money he owes various other people :rolleyes:

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
Did Steve happen to provide those red IS3 heads I see on there? He took a set of Red IS3 heads off my 04 to sell to someone, and he just told me the other day that the guy whos car they were going on never paid him for them.[/b]

they were on the car when i got it, fairly rusty at that

He's had my car for almost a YEAR promissing to put it back together for me, and I just got it back this past friday with half the in the trunk. Thats when I asked him about my IS3 heads, and he said the guy never paid him for them. [/b]

well thats pretty much how i got wes' car i've used my magic bolt bucket more times than i can think of

he asked me if i could finish it up for him since it's been sitting for a while, i could use a couple bones so i figured why not...now i'm trying to decide how thick i need the spacers for the hood hinges...just to clear everything...

rsilva708

Oct 5, 2008
believe me, I'm not calling anyone here a liar. I would believe people I never met more than steve. I'm just trying to figure out what was going on with my car while hes had it since last August. I didn't believe steve when he said they wern't paid for to begin with. Who would let some $1500 parts leave their place with out being paid for.

I guess I'm it the same possition as Wes is, steve left him with a pile of parts like he left me.

believe me, I'm not calling anyone here a liar. I would believe people I never met more than steve. I'm just trying to figure out what was going on with my car while hes had it since last August. I didn't believe steve when he said they wern't paid for to begin with. Who would let some $1500 parts leave their place with out being paid for.

I guess I'm it the same possition as Wes is, steve left him with a pile of parts like he left me.
[/b]

sorry to hear that he never gave u the money. I paid him for the heads and all kinds of other parts some time ago. He must not be good with money. I even told him if he finished my car, he could have the novi 2000 for the labor that i owed him. then he took the novi off and sold it before i even got the gen v to him. So there was another $2000 +. I just want my car back and running agian and I dont want to hurt anyone. (steve) lol Im just happy I have james and al on the job. B)

BumpinGTP

TCG Elite Member
Jan 20, 2009
South Suburbs
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

sorry to hear that he never gave u the money. I paid him for the heads and all kinds of other parts some time ago. He must not be good with money. I even told him if he finished my car, he could have the novi 2000 for the labor that i owed him. then he took the novi off and sold it before i even got the gen v to him. So there was another $2000 +. I just want my car back and running agian and I dont want to hurt anyone. (steve) lol Im just happy I have james and al on the job. B)
[/b][/quote]
I told Rob I got the money earlier and I will be paying him. I tried calling you a few minutes ago to see if there was any news from James.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
How did those leakdown tests turn out James? haha guess i wish i woulda hung out longer last night!

-DD [/b]

remember the disapearing blue smoke last night after the redneck tuneup?

yeah well the engine has rusty bores... i did the leakdown tests last night with each at TDC comp and got 6%with 10% max on 3 (the worst) at almost 160* engine temp, the real story was this morning after soaking in marvel mystery oil last night and getting spun over to coat the bores (i got new wires to correct the lightning storm when i got the spark plug antifouler that i modified to work with our heads deep threads and the testers short reach threads, works great i might add lol)

this morning after the oil had a chance to work in i cranked it over a few times with the plugs out, threw em in with the new plug wires and ran it up to 160* with a couple redneck tunes pulled the plugs and retested the front bank, 4% with 6% on 3

when i was testing 3 last i decided to back the piston down from TDC compression to the begining of the compression stroke what i just found out leads me to suspect rusted/pitted bores

i wish i had done this last night but i was tired...anyway just past TDC i would move the crank/rod down the rings would unseat i'd get 2-30% leakdown and it would take ~3-4seconds before the airpressure forced the ring back to it's seated position

(let me clarify for those wondering, on the compression stroke our rings are seated at the bottom of the ring groove, this lets the high cylinder pressure get behind the ring and apply more pressure to the ringseal between the ring/wall/piston ring groove, when the ring is unseated (aka piston moving downward) the ring unseats and now can leak combustion gasses into the engine crankcase from the combustion chamber (i wont even get into ring flutter and how much power it can cost you). on the power storke the massive cylinder pressures help keep the compression ring (top) seated against the bottom of it's groove as the piston moves down...unless there is rust/pitting on the bores that creates friction that unloads that top ring

this tendance would be very noticable at low engine speeds where pistons speeds are fairly low)

/\ that is about as laymans as i can get i think lol

anyways no big deal ~3-4 seconds before the ring would seat, the next time i moved it, same amount of time for the ring to reseat and leakage to drop to 6 same thing for the next bump to the ratchet on the crank (~5* each i'd say) then it got wierd...

the next bump (4th) took ~ 8-10seconds to seal up and did so till i got to ~90* BTC then bam it went back to the normal 3-4 seconds before the ring would seal up all the way to bdc...

so then after i hit BDC i removed the leakdown tester and squrted another shot of oil in there, not much probably 1/4-1/2 teaspoon, and brought it back up to TDC compresion, hitched the leakdown gauges back up and redid the test...well it started out at less than 1% leakdown...but as the oil was forced past the rings by the air pressure it went up to 4% and pretty much stayed there for a minute so i started to back it down from TDC doing the same as before well it improved to say the least (oil does that) with about 1-2 seconds for the first bumps but as i hit the tight spot it started with 8 seconds!, the next bump and susequent bumps were at ~4-6 seconds till i hit ~90* after TDC where it went to ~2seconds.

the best i can guess is maybe at the begining of the rust patch the ring kinda hung up a little longer because the rust may be concentrated on the bottom of the bore where dew/condensate would settle and just needed to overcome the oil/rust

i am pretty sure there is rust and/or pitting in the bores, i have seen this before on stored engines...and with the rust in the IS3 intake ports i wouldnt doubt that condensation got in there...thats the only way i can account for the 8 second spike on the second test of cyl 3...

i probably should have pulled the IS3 heads off when i got the car as soon as i noticed the condensate rust in the intake ports....

all i can hope for is that it is just a light surface rust that will wear away...but if it's pitted it and the other 3 like it are gonna have more blowby...

keep yer fingers crossed folks...please :eek:

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I'll be delivering the gun with the single bullet later. Keep it around in case you decide to put it in your mouth. Ron and I came close a couple times.

The problem with this car is that so much shit was hawked off of it and it took so long to put it together that it was easy to forget what was done and where. The car really needs to be completely disassembled and re-assembled as you're finding out. I think the clincher for that one is when Ron went to do the case learn and the water pump pulley went flying off, presumbably with nothing holding it on.

It sucks that you got stuck with someone elses problems. Wes is one of the most patient people I've met. I would have driven the car up someone's ass.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
I'll be delivering the gun with the single bullet later. Keep it around in case you decide to put it in your mouth. Ron and I came close a couple times.[/b]
thanks but i need a silver bullet fer the car too...
The problem with this car is that so much shit was hawked off of it and it took so long to put it together that it was easy to forget what was done and where. The car really needs to be completely disassembled and re-assembled as you're finding out. I think the clincher for that one is when Ron went to do the case learn and the water pump pulley went flying off, presumbably with nothing holding it on.[/b]

no kidding, i pulled the VC's to check the rockers but there was no way to check head bolt Tq, i pulled the low oil sensor and found it was missing it's oring, no wonder it was leaking, just lots of little stuff. i think i'll check the lug nuts while i'm at it before i go on a quick tuning drive this bastard is running pig fucking rich!

probably could use a complete teardown/inspection

It sucks that you got stuck with someone elses problems. Wes is one of the most patient people I've met. I would have driven the car up someone's ass.
[/b]

yeah but i'm good with problems and from what i could figure Wes could use a break

Anyone remember those signs:
Hourly Rate - $75.00
If you want to watch - $100.00
If you want to help - $150.00
If you've already worked on the car - $200 [/b]

lol when i worked at Arlington Performance Center hourly shop rate was 120$ on the high end cars

BumpinGTP

TCG Elite Member
Jan 20, 2009
South Suburbs
I think the clincher for that one is when Ron went to do the case learn and the water pump pulley went flying off, presumbably with nothing holding it on. [/b]
I would be curious to find the person that can even put on a waterpump pulley with nothing holding it on. What happened was the powdercoat on the pulley was too thick and did not allow enough of the bolts to thread in. This combined with the unusual belt routing that was used is what cause this. Also for that matter it did not "fly off", it cocked out about an inch.

The motor was assembled as soon as it arrived at the shop and all bores looked fine, from that time the motor never came apart again until after the blowby problem was seen, meaning that this motor was bad before it ever went into the car.

James, give me a call if there is anything I can do to help. I dont have much time available until after 9pm every night, but if you need a hand let me know.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Steve, I'm sure you get the point. There's so much small stuff on the car that's fubared that it's just a mess. I'm not calling your expertise to question. I'm saying that over the course of a year and 3 different power adders pretty much no-one could know for sure what they did and didn't do until the engine was disassembled and re-assembled.

BumpinGTP

TCG Elite Member
Jan 20, 2009
South Suburbs
Steve, I'm sure you get the point. There's so much small stuff on the car that's fubared that it's just a mess. I'm not calling your expertise to question. I'm saying that over the course of a year and 3 different power adders pretty much no-one could know for sure what they did and didn't do until the engine was disassembled and re-assembled.
[/b]
Yeah, the setup on the car changed so many times over the course of the build it is hard to remember what was done which time. I talked to James and Wes this evening, car is up and running and Wes is getting it tomorrow. :D

Mike, YGM ;)

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
I think the clincher for that one is when Ron went to do the case learn and the water pump pulley went flying off, presumbably with nothing holding it on. [/b]
I would be curious to find the person that can even put on a waterpump pulley with nothing holding it on. What happened was the powdercoat on the pulley was too thick and did not allow enough of the bolts to thread in. This combined with the unusual belt routing that was used is what cause this. Also for that matter it did not "fly off", it cocked out about an inch.[/b]
yeah i saw the backside belt lamination melted into the pulley, i was wondering what that damn groove was near the edge i bet from when it cocked over and the belt rubbed across it...

yeah pretty thick of a powdercoat job...i take it thats why you scraped it off around the G3 blower bolts?

The motor was assembled as soon as it arrived at the shop and all bores looked fine, from that time the motor never came apart again until after the blowby problem was seen, meaning that this motor was bad before it ever went into the car.

James, give me a call if there is anything I can do to help. I dont have much time available until after 9pm every night, but if you need a hand let me know. [/b]

wes thought that maybe it sat for a month while you geared up to swap everything, more than enough time for a light surface rust to take hold...and you know rust once it starts it's like cancer

was the blowby issue evident once the engine was in the car and running?

regardless sitting for as long as it has with what maybe 1 hr of running (?) is more than enough time for a light surface rust on the bores to start to eat into em, i just wonder if it had blowby from a getgo...

do you have a rough timeline on what setup ran for what time and whether it had the blowby issue?

part of the issue was a weak PCV valve in the G5, i put in a new one for an 05 GTP and it halved the blowby out the cover, last night with the old PCV in there i saw a tiny whisp of smoke able to escape the breather but swapped in the new one again and it was again gone

as it is i'd say wes can drive it for a month and then have it leakdown tested again and see where the numbers are hopefully cyl 3 cleans itself up enough to drop from 6% to where the others hover at 4-5

my guess is while it was sitting cyl 3 intake valve may have been open enough for atmospheric moisture to condesate on the bore walls

i should be hearing from wes' soon so i can start on the next patient

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
Yeah, the setup on the car changed so many times over the course of the build it is hard to remember what was done which time. I talked to James and Wes this evening, car is up and running and Wes is getting it tomorrow. :D

Mike, YGM [/b][/quote]

i have checked all that i can get to reasonably hopefully wes' will have no problems...i didnt and i somehow managed to get the cops called into our neighborhood...he ran my buddy's mustangs plates and was thinking it was him lol he roooolllled through real slow like watching the 5 of us and when he turned the corner wes's car was in the garage sooo fast! :lolsign:

wes' didnt give me the laptop charger cable so i only got as far as a rudimentry tune (~ - 2-3 LTFT) before it died...i couldnt read the file in the PCM so i went to stock/1.5 with the inj and maf tables changed...he also needs a keyspan usb-serial adaptor i was getting error codes that i never got before with eric's tuner

man this thing was running -18 LTFT's with the canned PCM bin... the novi required that kind of fuel at idle? damn...no wonder the oil was washed down with sooo much gas...

rob yer next buddy...we sure cant wait to have them parts ;)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info