3800 All that work.......

• Thread starter imported_PaceCarBoozer
  • Start date
I

imported_PaceCarBoozer

Well, I got the whole motor torn apart, all new gaskets, seals, ect. ect. Then got everything painted, cleaned up, or polished, and put back together. Got the new trans on it, everything back together again, by 10pm tonight. I fire it up, it dies, fire it up again....dies. It will stay running if I stay on the gas but at a really bad idle. So this weekend will be spent trying to figure out what the hell is wrong.

Fish, sorry I won't be there, but you can get the rotors at any time.

I think I said I was gonna bring plates and shit to the mod day, so someone is gonna have to grab that stuff.

Also, unless someone else is bringin them, no bags.
You guys have fun,
CJ

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
take some small dia rubber vacum lines about 1 inch long and place them over the coil terminals and slide the wire boots down on them

with the engine running use a testlight or a wire connected to ground to "kill" spark one cylinder at a time...i bet you find one or two that dont change the idle/high idle when you kill it

MSD wires have been pretty durable to me but every now and then i manage to break the conductor (spiral core or not)

either that or you managed to crack a porceline or two on your plugs

if neither of those then i would check the affected cylinders for injector pulse with a noid light to make sure you didnt break a wire

you sure you dont have any vacum leaks? listen around with a ~3ft piece of ~ 3/8ths rubber hosese if you hear a high pitched whistle

thats about all i can think of off the top of my empty head

I

imported_PaceCarBoozer

take some small dia rubber vacum lines about 1 inch long and place them over the coil terminals and slide the wire boots down on them

with the engine running use a testlight or a wire connected to ground to "kill" spark one cylinder at a time...i bet you find one or two that dont change the idle/high idle when you kill it

MSD wires have been pretty durable to me but every now and then i manage to break the conductor (spiral core or not)

either that or you managed to crack a porceline or two on your plugs

if neither of those then i would check the affected cylinders for injector pulse with a noid light to make sure you didnt break a wire

you sure you dont have any vacum leaks? listen around with a ~3ft piece of ~ 3/8ths rubber hosese if you hear a high pitched whistle

thats about all i can think of off the top of my empty head
[/b]

I can't keep it running for more than a second or two, so until I can do that, it's hard to diagnose what the problem is. If I stay on the gas pedal, I can keep it running for a bit longer. I have already replaced the fuel pump resistor, but the symptoms are very similar to when that went out. I have to check out the wires to that. I'm gonna try hotwiring the FP to run on high and see if I can at least keep it running.
Another thought, I pulled all the sensors out the the TB to paint it. I covered all he holes that the sensors go into, but maybe messed one up. I still have to mess with the gear selection cable to get that set up right.
If it was a misfire from a wire or plug, it should stay running, but be at a rough idle. I'll let ya know. Any other ideas, throw em at me.
Thanks,
CJ

I

imported_PaceCarBoozer

IT'S ALIVE.......ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA

As I had hoped, it was something stupid and boy was I right. Don't know how i missed it, but I didn't plug in the vacuum line to the brake booster, and never tightened down the bolt on the trans that holds all the ground cables. I feel retarded, but I also feel so much better that it's done and runs great. Sorry I can't make it to the mod day, but I will be at the track for moral support, and to see everyone that shows up. I would try and make it, but I pretty much have not brakes, so those have to be bled, and I get lost very easily.
CJ

I

imported_PaceCarBoozer

Well, I have a nasty oil (I think) leak. About a half quart a day. Also, I guess I need to get a tune to work with the 3.29 gears of the new GT trans. Hopefully the leak is easy to get to. I may have forgotten to put thread sealant on one of the bolts going into an oil galley or something. I'll work it out.
CJ

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info