3800 I hate getting stuck on the side of the road!

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Freaking car broke down on me...fuel system issues. Today at lunch the car was really hard starting, so I knew I'd have to limp it home. Got to 88/355 and it died. Took me 5 minutes to get it started again. Babied it to 75th street...died. Got it started in a few minutes, limped it in heavy traffic a few more miles and finally DOA at Green rd/75th street. My wife didn't want to come out and bring me tools with the kids, so I had to call my Dad. I assumed I was getting no fuel pressure, and that the regulator was shot. I have 6 regulators on the shelf, so he brought all of them. Nope, not the regulator.

Somehow I managed to get it started again, and keeping it at 1800rom got me home, barely.

Tore into the car, and I burst the line from the pump to the top of the canister again. I was using a polyethelyne line in there and it's been great for a year...then poof.

I am sick of the crappy lines eadily available. I've tried everything except for N11, and I think that's next.

Sorry for the rant...Oh, and the whole time...stuck in a forest preserve area with not one tree or bush nearby and heavy traffic...I had to take a piss soooooo bad!

tonys99gtp

Regular
May 19, 2008
Carpentersville
Real Name
Tony
Freaking car broke down on me...fuel system issues. Today at lunch the car was really hard starting, so I knew I'd have to limp it home. Got to 88/355 and it died. Took me 5 minutes to get it started again. Babied it to 75th street...died. Got it started in a few minutes, limped it in heavy traffic a few more miles and finally DOA at Green rd/75th street. My wife didn't want to come out and bring me tools with the kids, so I had to call my Dad. I assumed I was getting no fuel pressure, and that the regulator was shot. I have 6 regulators on the shelf, so he brought all of them. Nope, not the regulator.

Somehow I managed to get it started again, and keeping it at 1800rom got me home, barely.

Tore into the car, and I burst the line from the pump to the top of the canister again. I was using a polyethelyne line in there and it's been great for a year...then poof.

I am sick of the crappy lines eadily available. I've tried everything except for N11, and I think that's next.

Sorry for the rant...Oh, and the whole time...stuck in a forest preserve area with not one tree or bush nearby and heavy traffic...I had to take a piss soooooo bad!
[/b]

That sucks Ron. Same boat diffrent car. Blew the motor on my blazer last night. Threw a rod. Hope you get it fixed.

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
I ALWAYS keep an empty bottle in the car for just such an unfortunate situation...

Was this a stock style corrugated hose that burst? Ive never heard of issues running the stock style hose, but everything else.....yeah, you know.

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
I had a similar issue on morning on my way to work. I had installed a Racetronix pump and a few weeks later i blew that line off the fuel pump canister. I guess I didnt have it on there good enough. I went WOT to pass a semi truck and as soon as I let off the gas the car died. I had no fuel pressure at the motor but i could hear the pump prime. I had my friend pull me home and fixed it up. Yeah, and I was late for work, lol.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
Was this a stock style corrugated hose that burst? Ive never heard of issues running the stock style hose, but everything else.....yeah, you know. [/b]
i've blown one of em up doing a deadhead pressure test that jumped to ~ 75psi. i dont see one blowing up under regular use without it having been weakened in some way, ie knurled jaw pliers etc

i've had sooo many of those GM pulsator devices blow not to mention the rubber replacement hoses

maybe it's time to sump/ inline your car

we have our 450lb/hr aeromotive pump and now have a larger 600lb/hr A1000 to go with it... (with the stainless prefilter and 10micron post filter for 225$ very slightly used B) ) we need two A1000's and the 450lb/hr (for the nitrous? lol) or i'll snag it for my toy
you can find good deals from the rustang guys :p

I

imported_Ron Vogel

I ALWAYS keep an empty bottle in the car for just such an unfortunate situation...

Was this a stock style corrugated hose that burst? Ive never heard of issues running the stock style hose, but everything else.....yeah, you know.
[/b]
Actually it's very similar to that hose, but not that hose. It's a thicker, smooth wall version. For pressure purposes it works great, and has been getting more than 70 psi on the top end. It's a pain to put it in though, and will tear if care is not taken. It's lasted quite awhile, don't know why it would go now. I had several different rubber hoses in there, but they just don't hold up more than a few months.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
Actually it's very similar to that hose, but not that hose. It's a thicker, smooth wall version. For pressure purposes it works great, and has been getting more than 70 psi on the top end. It's a pain to put it in though, and will tear if care is not taken. It's lasted quite awhile, don't know why it would go now. I had several different rubber hoses in there, but they just don't hold up more than a few months. [/b]

do ya think it split down the side or at the ends? have you tried to use the braided stainless with plastic liner?

I

imported_Ron Vogel

<div class='quotemain'> Actually it's very similar to that hose, but not that hose. It's a thicker, smooth wall version. For pressure purposes it works great, and has been getting more than 70 psi on the top end. It's a pain to put it in though, and will tear if care is not taken. It's lasted quite awhile, don't know why it would go now. I had several different rubber hoses in there, but they just don't hold up more than a few months. [/b]

do ya think it split down the side or at the ends? have you tried to use the braided stainless with plastic liner?
[/b][/quote]
Nothing fit's in there all that well, the outlet of the pump is 5/16" and the top of the canister is 3/8". There's no real way to use braided because of it. I patched it up this morning, but I'm going to have to try and fix it the right way this weekend somehow.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

I'm thinking my fuel filter was getting clogged. I had a lot of crap in my new rails leftover from sandblasting. It gave me trouble sealing the FPR. I'm thinking since it was so clogged, the line was seeing very high pressure, way more than normal. I changed that tonight too.

mcshocks

Regular
Jun 12, 2008
MN
These fuel pumps suck to install, biggest issue I have found is that the whole assembly squishes down on install and slightly bends the fuel line (probably where the leak happens or wear starts and ends). The only way I have not had issues with aftermarket pumps is to use the stock corrugated line (any flexible line I have tried seems to last a good 4-5 months than it bursts), it is a pain to get on and off the factory line but the only one that lasts in my experiences.

Have you thought about keeping the pump assembly squished on the springs at the same hieght as it is in the tank? Maybe hold it together with some zip ties and then attach the line so you don't have to worry about kinks and then install?

As turbocharged said maybe some braided AN might be worth a try?

mcshocks

Regular
Jun 12, 2008
MN
Maybe the problem comes from vendors not offering the corrugated line with the kit. We've always offered this with ours at no cost (because it's impossible to get the stock piece off). I don't think Ron has ever run it on the aftermarket pump however.
[/b]

Oh alot of patience can get the stocker off about 1-2 hours of fanagling and I can get them off, I have done this in 2 cars and no issues, both cars have been running for a good 2 years without issues.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info