3800 ZZP 1.0

thebullfrog

Addict
Sep 12, 2008
Algonquin
Real Name
Jerimiah
So when I ordered an o2 sensor, I decided on impulse to grab a ZZP 1.0 at the same time. Not really sure why, but I did. I also ordered new LS1M cables from Mark today, so I'll be able to scan it and see the results. Seat of the pants, the car is definately a bit quicker. I'm sure it will pay huge dividends once I'm actually running a smaller pulley like the thing's designed for. Honestly I love the damned thing, but it's got a problem. It doesn't like to come out of 2nd gear when I stop now. Infact sometimes it'll stay in 2nd until I accelerate back up to about 20 MPH then it will downshift and upshift again. Other times it'll downshift about a sec. or so after I start to accelerate. Annoying as Hell. It's also developed a nasty shudder when I give it around 25% or so throttle in 1st gear. Like it keeps trying to up and downshift back and forth. This never happened with the stock PCM and started instantly with the ZZP. I've been E-mailing Zoomer back and forth all day and he's been pretty cool about it thus far. I'll probably be sending it back in to get reprogrammed again; but does anybody know what specifically could be causing it to behave like that? After 1st. gear the thing runs awesome.

thebullfrog

Addict
Sep 12, 2008
Algonquin
Real Name
Jerimiah
LOL. Yeah I've noticed that myself. But I've also read a lot about people having probs with DHP (though not as many), so it was kinda a coin toss. I was leaning towards DHP in all honesty, but I've been getting a lot of stuff from ZZP without any probs, so I figured I'd give 'em the benefit of the doubt. Hopefully it all gets sorted.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

I won't give you shit about it. I've seen the bin files on all of them. The DHP definately does most everything right, then the Intense, then the ZZP. I'd like to see a track time comparison on the three...there are ways to program the car to FEEL faster...when it really isn't.

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
I won't give you shit about it. I've seen the bin files on all of them. The DHP definately does most everything right, then the Intense, then the ZZP. I'd like to see a track time comparison on the three...there are ways to program the car to FEEL faster...when it really isn't.
[/b]

Agreed, my car FELT faster with the Intense, but I cant say that the car was faster (this is in comparison) with my now current DHP. Unfortunately never did get a back to back run with both cars having the same mods just different PCMs.

Ron, does the Intense PCM add more timing anywhere (in either cruise, part throttle, or WOT) in comparison to the DHP?

I

imported_Ron Vogel

They only mess with WOT timing, I didn't notice it anywhere else. The trans settings are better than the ZZP. The ZZP only fattens up the MAF table from 7K Hz and up, they don't touch the IFR or much of the PE mode stuff. I don't know why they bother fattening up the MAF in the PCM, they can do all that in PE mode, and it won't mess up shifting or timing like doing it with the MAF will.

As far as I know, DHP did quite a bit of dyno testing to do the canned PCM. I did a custom tune for someone local to get his cam and injectors idling right, with no dyno or wideband. That same guy went up to ZZP to get dyno tuned...they added race gas, fattened up his maf, and added 2 degrees of timing to get a whopping 7 more HP out of it. Too bad I had to re-tune it back after he was seeing 5 deg of KR on pump gas!

OK, sorry for the snub...I'm just proud of that story! Anyway, back when PCM's first came out, Charles and Co. traveled all over the US doing Dyno tunes...and only tunes; they know what they are doing.

I

imported_Theautoguy

I had a problem similar to that on the Regal, it turned out that one of the pistons in the trans was leaking fluid past the seal and would cause the issue. However, it would only happen on the initial startup and wouldn't act up after warm up. I wound up having to have the trans rebuilt...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info