3800 A/C Charging

CompGd

Regular
Aug 16, 2008
Carol Stream
Can anyone recommend a shop to get the A/C charged in the Southwest area?

TIA
[/b]

You can go to most any automotive shop and get it done. I know when i used to work at Pep Boys they did it for a reasonable price and if you didnt need any replacement parts (reciever/drier, evap, condenser etc etc) they didnt even have to pull the car in the bay. Better yet its not all to hard to do it yourself, ive only done it a few times in my days but then again id rather have the windows down to be honest with you! Good Luck

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
DONT DO AC YOURSELF!!!!!!!

There really never is a reason to "Charge" a system unless something is leaking.

BTW, doing the AC yourself with one of those dumb cans at the store is about the worst thing you can do to the system.

First of all, you contaminate the system with all the extra oils and sealants in the bottle. A reputable repair shop who cares about there equipment will not even touch your car once it is contaminated.

Also, over charging the system will not allow the refrigerant to completely condense/evaporate which could lead to liquid entering the AC compressor and then you have a lot of problems on your hand.

LET THE PROS do it.........and I wouldn’t call pep boys pros....they will probably contaminate your system just hooking up there "dirty" gauges....its like aids, you touch it, you got it. :eek:

Also, technically, anytime the System is opened for repair, a new reciever/dryer should be installed.....which most "cheap" shops will not do.

and then you will be back in a year again to put in yet another AC compressor/etc......moisture and compression do not mix.

CompGd

Regular
Aug 16, 2008
Carol Stream
DONT DO AC YOURSELF!!!!!!!

There really never is a reason to "Charge" a system unless something is leaking.

BTW, doing the AC yourself with one of those dumb cans at the store is about the worst thing you can do to the system.

First of all, you contaminate the system with all the extra oils and sealants in the bottle. A reputable repair shop who cares about there equipment will not even touch your car once it is contaminated.

Also, over charging the system will not allow the refrigerant to completely condense/evaporate which could lead to liquid entering the AC compressor and then you have a lot of problems on your hand.

LET THE PROS do it.........and I wouldn’t call pep boys pros....they will probably contaminate your system just hooking up there "dirty" gauges....its like aids, you touch it, you got it. :eek:

Also, technically, anytime the System is opened for repair, a new reciever/dryer should be installed.....which most "cheap" shops will not do.

and then you will be back in a year again to put in yet another AC compressor/etc......moisture and compression do not mix.
[/b]

Sir yes Sir!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info