3800 tranny coolers

CoolGTX

let sleeping dogs lie
Nov 17, 2008
Hotel 4 Dogs
Real Name
J/O
I used to have a tranny cooler on the car forever, but just removed it last month. I really regret selling it now, because I'm not happy with my tranny running 180 or more now. It used to stay between 160-170.

Will the tranny Cooler PAN with the fins, or ZZPs tranny pan keep the fluid 15 degrees cooler like my old tranny cooler did?

I need to find another option, or bite the dust and REpurchase a cooler like I had before.
Would anyone suggest a long thin one to mount Under the car?

J/O

Silvapain

Regular
Jan 29, 2008
Limestone
The Gen II SHO auto had a long, thin tranny cooler stock. This is one on my parts SHO:
IMG_2438.jpg

CoolGTX

let sleeping dogs lie
Nov 17, 2008
Hotel 4 Dogs
Real Name
J/O
if that is the one in front, I see how wide it is, how thick is it, and how tall is it.
See I run an intercooler i/c rad up front, so that would have to fit inbetween the condensor and i/c rad.

Id like something I could either put under the car, or something small to fit inbetween.

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
just be sure to use stainless braided line. the problem with most is they leak. most kits use low pressure rubber hose and then they pop off or slip off from weak clamp fittings. get some nice AN fittings and you will be issue free.
its just most dont want to spend 150+ on a tranny cooler tho.
oversized radiators are like adding a bigger tranny cooler so consider that seeing as space is an issue.

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
guess there is a reason why wbodystore and zzp will not warrenty a trans if failure from trans fluid loss due to crap fittings. zzp even had a little story about it on there site at one point.

Id sleep better night is all. With a setup as built as yours i wouldnt risk it. Good luck with it tho, at least your staying with a brand you trust.

Silvapain

Regular
Jan 29, 2008
Limestone
if that is the one in front, I see how wide it is, how thick is it, and how tall is it.
See I run an intercooler i/c rad up front, so that would have to fit inbetween the condensor and i/c rad.

Id like something I could either put under the car, or something small to fit inbetween.
[/b]

The aux tranny cooler is mounted to the underside of the metal bumper, between the fog lights. You can see the bolts that hold it up in the picture. I don't have measurements handy, but I can get them for you tomorrow if you like. It's a stacked-plate design, and works great.

CoolGTX

let sleeping dogs lie
Nov 17, 2008
Hotel 4 Dogs
Real Name
J/O
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

The aux tranny cooler is mounted to the underside of the metal bumper, between the fog lights. You can see the bolts that hold it up in the picture. I don't have measurements handy, but I can get them for you tomorrow if you like. It's a stacked-plate design, and works great.
[/b][/quote]
I like the way that one would mount, but I think Im out of room in that area.

Does anyone have input on the tranny PAN coolers?

Ron, when you get an aftermarket tranny and stall, you will see the need for a cooler, especially with alot of travel. I liked it best on the highway(stall=higher rpm=hot). I have noticed that the tranny shifts alot harder at 180.. :) B)

BOB, if I was a tranny builder and a hose popped off (due to customer mistake), I would not warrenty it either. You must not Trust yourself to do a mod like this. If you cant get a hose to seal..... :lolsign:

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
I think only 3-4 people on clubgp have the ZZP pan. They all said that their trans temp dropped about 10-12 degrees. Then Craig from CA posted a link to another company that made almost the same thing. I think ZZPs was cheaper.

What about MSPs tranny pan? Do they even make them anymore?

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
Well it does offer more surface are for cooling capacity. Its kinda like an air cooled motor with the fins on it. the more surface are the more cooling capacity.

But, I guess to cold would not be a good thing either. Ive had the Dessert Fox trans cooler on for almost 5 years now with no problems with trannies....

Only problems I had with tranies has been from Intense installs gone bad ):

I

imported_GraFFix

I would just get a new tranny cooler personally. Especially since you know the last one you had worked good. Just think, if your seeing 180* temps now whats going to happen when its 90*+ outside.

Ive had the GM one on my car forever my temps are usually around 160ish...On really hot days and in traffic I still see 180+

I also have a built trans and a stall though too.

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
I like the way that one would mount, but I think Im out of room in that area.

BOB, if I was a tranny builder and a hose popped off (due to customer mistake), I would not warrenty it either. You must not Trust yourself to do a mod like this. If you cant get a hose to seal..... :lolsign:
[/quote]
:p i see your point its just none of the high performance shops i go through will use anything less then braided line with hard fittings.
all of them say the same thing .........dont trust rubber hose and hoseclamps with any kind of external cooler

if you had good luck thats great, but seeing as others are reading this and some might try it for the first time. it is an issue they should be aware of if not done properly.

CoolGTX

let sleeping dogs lie
Nov 17, 2008
Hotel 4 Dogs
Real Name
J/O
I would just get a new tranny cooler personally. Especially since you know the last one you had worked good. Just think, if your seeing 180* temps now whats going to happen when its 90*+ outside.

Ive had the GM one on my car forever my temps are usually around 160ish...On really hot days and in traffic I still see 180+

I also have a built trans and a stall though too.
[/b]
exactly my point. I have monitered before and after (cooler install), and I like before temps.

right now a 200.oo tranny pan is Not an option,,, :lolsign:

CoolGTX

let sleeping dogs lie
Nov 17, 2008
Hotel 4 Dogs
Real Name
J/O
so,,some spirited driving this morning with a pack of vetts, had my tranny up to 205 in 65 degree weather. i;m sure keeping up right along at 140 didnt help that much. while just cruising at 75 it creeped up to 175, while the motor was at 183. It was fun till they cock blocked me out, so I chilled out, and got the tranny down to 195 when I got to the car show.

on the way home, temps got up to 195ish at 80...ish.

this was with a 3.4 pulley on today..:0

I fear for my clutchs at this temp.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I've been saying since day one that these trannies need coolers but since hard parts generally break first temperatures are generally ignored. How some people in this community think these cars are immune to common problems is beyond me.

Any stacked plate cooler should be fine. Check the lines occasionally. There is no reason why a clamped transmission line should be any less reliable than any other clamped hose on the vehicle.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
i had mostly hardline (i was bored and had a new tubing bender) and short lengths of napa trans hose on my 86 F150 351w/c6 with a hayden 15000lb cooler, i hauled the 442 and nova on a 3500lb steel trailer for thousands of miles (gotta love the C6 3sd auto trans...ford dun did good there!) never had a leak...and i've ran her hot! i've put tons of coolers on plow trucks, to minivans and never had a problem with hose, flare or groove (use a tubing cutter and "cut" ridges for the hose to grab onto) the end of the hardline and keep shit from rubbin' on it and it'll last...plain and simple

at the same time in the rear of the 442 we already have braided stainless/hardlines on the rear trans/fab'd aluminum sbc radiator since we also have the trans circulation pump and checkvalve manifold, and it will soon have the landrover trans cooler and temp sensor in the upper left of this pic, it will use braided stainless... and you guessed it more AN fittings...it will eventually have to deal with big power and some serious weight transfer on launch! this is a heavy duty cooler!

S10partsandoilcooler.jpg

the front will probably get one too...we kinda have the overkill thing working well for us :D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info