3800 SES

thebullfrog

Addict
Sep 12, 2008
Algonquin
Real Name
Jerimiah
So about a day after finishing my LIM gasket, I'm idling on my lunch break. The SES light comes on. Came back as "Cylinder bank 1 too lean" (I forget the actual code). I know it could be the o2 sensor being gay, but what I'm wondering is this: My valve cover gaskets have leaked oil all over the damn place. Now right around the injector holes theres a nice buil-up of sludge. When I was putting everything back together do you think I could have gotten crap all over he end of one of the injectors and slightly plugged it up? It doesn't mis-fire at all (it used too, that went away after I did the LIM) and it runs perfectly fine. MY problem with that theory is this: gas is a solvent and is coming out of that injector with a good bit of pressure. I would think that any oil I got on the end of it would have been cleaned off. For now the code is cleared and I'll see if it comes back, but could it be my theory, or are we back to the o2 sensor?

thebullfrog

Addict
Sep 12, 2008
Algonquin
Real Name
Jerimiah
LOL. True. Didn't think about that. After driving it more today (light still hasn't come back on) I'm pretty sure it's the sensor. The car is running too damn perfect for there to be a fueling issue. Whatever. How bad is it to change out the sensor? I'm not even sure where they put it on these things.

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
You should move the engine forward (remove dog bones and rachet it, or just do the parking brake trick) and its right behind/after the rear exhaust manifold. You'll see it sticking up. Soaking it with, and letting penetrating oil soak in will make it easier to remove. Using an O2 sensor socket will make it much easier. Becareful lots of things to smack your hand/arm/wrist, and hurt yourself with back in there.

Also, just because the light hasnt come back on doesnt mean the computer has gotten over that code (so to speak).

thebullfrog

Addict
Sep 12, 2008
Algonquin
Real Name
Jerimiah
Odd. The response I posted last night didn't show up...
Anywho, yeah I know how to change it, just wasn't sure where it was at. Probably a pain in the ass to get at isn't it? Oh well.
Oh and I guarantee the computer is still pissed off, but so long as that annoying amber light isn't on, I'm happy.

thebullfrog

Addict
Sep 12, 2008
Algonquin
Real Name
Jerimiah
Sooo it came back. Big surprise. I'm gonna order myself a sensor and hope that's it. I'm sure it is. If it were really that lean it would be knocking and pulling timing like crazy. It would be slow. If anything, I've picked up a couple horses. Not having coolant in the combustion chamber probably helps LOL. Would be nice if I could scan it. Geuss it's time to break down and order my third serial cable and A/C adapter for the LS1-M.

thebullfrog

Addict
Sep 12, 2008
Algonquin
Real Name
Jerimiah
Ok peeps. I'm gonna need some help here. Changed the O2 sensor. Solved nothing. Still showing me an error for running too lean. Considering this started happening as soon as I finished with my LIM gasket change, I'm positive it's something that happened during that process. But I'm totally freakin stumped as to what it is. I've checked over everything a gagillion times. All the vac lines are connected, electrical accounted for, etc. Anybody have any wild geusses as to what I may be missing? I need this fixed within the next couple weeks, and can't afford a mechanic right now. I'm pretty desperate for any theories, so blind geusses in the dark are welcome. Now I know the vac tee on the side of the LIM that tees into the FPR cracked on me, but only right where it goes over the nipple and I taped it back up. I'll replace that as soon as I can get my hands on a new one, but any ideas beyond that?
I should have new cables for my LS1M in the next couple days so I can get some scans. If nothing else I'll make sure to make it to mod day so somebody can help me look at it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• T
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list