3800 Misfire, or 3rd gear??

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
So Ive had a SES light on for a few days. At first I did not notice anything wrong and the car still drove fine. I was actually going to hook my scanner up and the damn light went off. :blink: Ok.

Well, it came back on yesterday. The car still drove fine for the most part. Until I went WOT at around 45 MPH and the car started bucking. Odd. I slow down and do it again. Same. I go WOT from a stop and its fine. Partial throttle from a roll is fine. This only happend at WOT from a roll. Car idles fine and takes off fine.

Heres the kicker. The SES light went off for about 15 minutes today on my way to work. Happens to be while I am on the e-way. So I go WOT and it still bucked on me. Im going to hook my scanner up soon hopfully and see what that code is.

Also, the car died on me twice last night. Both tims decelerating going to make a right turn. Im leaning on a power issue for that. Either a bad ground connection or alternator. Although usually if the alternator were to die, the car would still run on battery power until that died. All of the accessories were still on and the car started right back up both times.

CompGd

Regular
Aug 16, 2008
Carol Stream
I had a similar problem with my 97 GTP except my car didnt die. The SES light would come on and go off. After wasting money on other things it turned out that the new set of plug wires i bought from NAPA one of them was crap and i was misfiring on number six. So i swapped it with another wire and the misfire changed cyclinders. Just a thought but it sounds like you have something else going on.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Im gonna go pull the code in a bit. However, as I started my car to leave work last night it started running like ASS!! Those definatly felt like misfires. However I didnt get the flashing SES for multiples. That was right when I started the car and left it idle in park.

Got out, made sure the wires were secure on the plugs and coils and the car ran fine again. Still have a SES. Ill pull it shortly and post up.

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
Brian, my car was doing the same thing a long while back. Same thing, only at 40-50mph when I went WOT it would break up and act funny. I ended up replacing the stock (100k+) plug wires, and the AL104's I had in there (probably had 20k on those plugs..oops?), and it went away. I didnt get the flashing SES either, infact, the SES light never tripped.

-Nick

P.S. My guess to MY problem that sounds IDENTICAL to yours was that it was the plug wires arching.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Brian, my car was doing the same thing a long while back. Same thing, only at 40-50mph when I went WOT it would break up and act funny. I ended up replacing the stock (100k+) plug wires, and the AL104's I had in there (probably had 20k on those plugs..oops?), and it went away. I didnt get the flashing SES either, infact, the SES light never tripped.

-Nick

P.S. My guess to MY problem that sounds IDENTICAL to yours was that it was the plug wires arching.
[/b]

Hopfully I can get some time to go downstairs to scan and do a plug/wire swap. I definatly could use both.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
well i'm awake god it feels good to have 12hrs of sleep after my sleep deprived week lol

i'll be going out to the garage to check for ya brian....if not i'll give you a 3100 maf and you can fuck with that lol

as of now Al no longer owns a 3100 powered car...just two W's with no engines :lolsign:

(well they have engines their just 20 miles away from the cars) :ph34r:

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
Nice. LOL. Lemme know whats up. Thanks again James.

I have a MAF in the 97 GTP TB I have. Id have to swap it again when I do my swap. Would that work? Sucks I dont have the security hex bits though. <_< [/b]

i would think it would you have the power to tune...

i have the tamper proof Torx if you can bring it over, call me 224 595 4407

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Im not sure if my HPTuners will work with my current PCM since its a 99 L36 and IIRC the HPT is for a 98 L67. My PCM is also DHP tuned. However it was done by the man himself so Im not sure.

Ill give you a call tomorrow since Im working again tonight.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
Im not sure if my HPTuners will work with my current PCM since its a 99 L36 and IIRC the HPT is for a 98 L67. My PCM is also DHP tuned. However it was done by the man himself so Im not sure.

Ill give you a call tomorrow since Im working again tonight. [/b]

sure...my dumbass forgot to check the TB for the sensor...i'll try to check in the morning before work it's somewhere in the back of the truck :p

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info