3800 arrrgh

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
damnit! well the 3100 in Al's little sisters 98 MonteCarlo is toast (paper filter element is magnetic :blink: ) so besides her not having much money, we need an engine...we'll call around to see what one goes for but some reason it looks like we'll be yanking it from the 93 GPSE (which we just swapped 3.4dohc to 3100) since i doubt we'll find a 72k 3100 for as cheap as we got it from the 442 lol

if the Jyards are too much for a known good engine, we may HAVE to drop the 99 L67 into the 93 GP to get his sisters car going...but hell with the money for the engine and labor we can afford to hopefully find another deal on an L67 or a shortblock to get the 442 running...

either way the 442 loses out, whether from lack of attention or it getting it's new engine yanked before it was even installed...but maybe for the better?

on a side note the 93 GP would be an engine whore, we could ditch the 3100 parts (all thats left is throw an L67 in amanda's 01 GAGT), and Al would probably blo the 60e in the GP to hell... i know he's been itchin to drive the 442, so i know the moment the l67 swapped GP has it's coolant bleed he'll be stomping on it
which means he'll break more schtuff :D

what do you think? :unsure:

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
well we figured it out...sorta :lolsign:

ok GP will be getting it's new engine yanked to throw in the monte and get his sister on the road (3rd car the 3100 will have been installed)

the 442 will get the 99 L67 as is (stock) to get it running and driveable

once its funning and driveable we'll be pulling the 90 LN3 3800 and 440T4 out of the back of it and throwing it in the front of the 93 GP to get it back into DD status

the LN3 was supposed to be the base of my SI/SII hybrid but i can delay that fun a little bit since i am starting on the UIM fabrication

then the 442 will be ready to recieve it's new rear engine and trans...i'm thinking we'll throw the L36/67 back there with the 93 GP 60e trans with the LQ1's 3.33 gears

though with the $ from selling the 3100 should be enough to pick up some more parts maybe some 80e's :)

talk about playing musical drivetrains

isnt it amazing how nothing ever seems to go as planned with us? :lolsign:

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
You guys swap more real engines then I ever have my RC engines. And I did that alot. LOL. [/b]

yeah no shit! i guess it's been that way since i switched to fullsizes :p

but ya have to hand it to GM to make it so easy to swap to whatever drivetrain you choose...the 90 3800 and 440t4 will bolt right in...we'll keep it pushbutton start since thats the way it's currently setup in the 442

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
well the 75K 3100 engine from the GP which was originally from the 72k 94 442 is now in his sisters 98 Monte, some final bolting and electrical remain (UIM and injector/MAF harness needs to be swapped since the 94 had different EGR (progressive vs the 98 linear) and has a MAF sensor...we found another family member who wants us to get a powertuner, al's little sister lol)

tomarrow we swap a set of goodyears on the crappy tire equipped wide GP crosslaces and get the 442 back on the Tqstars

the GP is now awaiting trans removal and prep/parts for dropping in the 75k 90 Toronado trofeo LN3 SI 3800 and 440T4 that is currently in the rear of the 442

now that i have room in the garage we can bring the 442 over and start on rewiring the dash harness (moving window switches to center console/shifters) and getting the 99 L67 harness wired in, then the 99 L67 will be going in as is (no polished goodies......soon!) with the built 94 OE Cutlas 4t60e still in it, this trans should live well with the stock L67 and not having to haul the rear engine and trans around....yes it would be a daily driver again!!!!!! plus we could see how much she weighs and how quick she is! (or slow lol)

...while we hash the rear 98 L36/67 together....with an IS4...(or two ;) )

then the 93 GP 4t60e with the LQ1 3.4 TDC 3.33 gears will go behind the L36/67....we'll see how long it lasts...it'd be even cooler if it failed spectacularly while launching! then it's 3.48 or 3.71 geared 4t80e time!

in the next month we'll be getting a 65ehd for the front from another local cutty guy (Al doesnt want to blow that 4,500$ 94 60e trans...it's for the GP....at some point)

once the rear has it's new powerplant (it's the one that'll make us MUCH faster off the line!) then we'll work on the front's heads/blower/IS4/polished goodies etc, etc :naughty:

yeah so thats how it'll work...more than likely :lolsign:

Regards, James and Al....psychotic gearheads

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
it's running and driving as of yesterday night...had to swap more stuff because of minor differences from 94 to 98

now we have a check for the 442 fund :D

Al and amanda decided to buy the cutlass Ciera off her parents (2.8L) for a spare car since the pontiac isnt a DD anymore lol

i got to go to work now....i have 48 more handrail turn-in's to weld up at the ramada just off cumberland and 90...yay another day of walking up and down stairs! meh my fat ass could use the excersize :lolsign:

wooot now we can start tearing the 442 dash apart!

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
damn james sounds busy.

i have to ask why an IS4 cam? i just cant see that cam being ideal for your dream setup [/b]

ohhh yeah i am! gitin r dun!

well the money for an Isky cam based on their original 425 big block olds HHO cams is a bit much and the 3800 market doesnt have a cam with that much lift... :blink:

in reality its the cam that would suit my twin m90 SI/SII hybrid well and dep on how my welded &reworked SII stock cam works out i can modify the IS4 the same way...as long as the lobes only have to be ground laterally the regrinding $ is much cheaper since it can be ground following the original ground contour of the lobe, then the journals are cut undersize for the SI block, and the original "unused" portion of the moved lobes is machined away

the IS3 cam may be the best for the application but i would like to know the ramp rates between the two among other things, not much help but man have you listened to two of sonny's IS4 idle vids? (i've gotten good enough i can hit play on both in way less than a second) boy does two IS4's sound sweet :p

So whats coming with you to the mod day? Are you guys still gonna try to make it out?
CJ [/b]

not sure right now....i'd like to go but we have considerable work to do we want the stock 99 L67 to be in the 442 and the LN3/440t4 removed ASAP! so Al can stop driving the cutlass Ciera and drive the 442 and hopefully the LN3/440t4 will get put into the 93 GP by winter.

if we can get the 442 going quick enough (still need an AC compressor bracket!!!!!!) i would love to bring it out, lets just hope we have no more setbacks

I

imported_PaceCarBoozer

So whats coming with you to the mod day? Are you guys still gonna try to make it out?
CJ

not sure right now....i'd like to go but we have considerable work to do we want the stock 99 L67 to be in the 442 and the LN3/440t4 removed ASAP! so Al can stop driving the cutlass Ciera and drive the 442 and hopefully the LN3/440t4 will get put into the 93 GP by winter.

if we can get the 442 going quick enough (still need an AC compressor bracket!!!!!!) i would love to bring it out, lets just hope we have no more setbacks
[/quote]

Well, good luck, it's would be nice to see you guys at the meet. Also, I think you guys need a little vacation.
CJ

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
Well, good luck, it's would be nice to see you guys at the meet. Also, I think you guys need a little vacation.
CJ [/b]

i would like to go...i have lots of chopped up stuff for people to look at :lolsign:

wrenchin on the 442 is the vacation....and thanks to selling the 3100 sooner than planed we can get a buncha parts (pesky ac bracket lol) that we need

i think eric wouldnt mind taking the riv so if al doesnt want to maybe i can cruise with eric

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
meh i hope to make it saturday even if i have to pull a killer friday off

as it is the GP has been sitting (finally has it's crosslaces back on with 4 goodyears with ~75% tread)...no more airleaks so thats good so far

Al got some more stuff for the 442 B)

A1000aeromotivefuelpump.jpg

and he went nuts with the blue...tape

Almaskingl67.jpg

just a little more work and the L67 can come together ready to drop in the 442 after we yank the rear engine...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info