3800 Sanding/refinishing wood floors

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
Anyone ever had this done? Anyone know who does good work for a good price in the Chicagoland area? My mom is looking into having this done in our front room and dining room (at minimum) but pending price maybe 2 bedrooms too.

My girlfriends father was telling me how he attempted it in his house and showed me where he had put a wave in the floor of their bathroom. I must say that pretty much scared me out of attempting it, especially in 2 big (conjoined) rooms where a wave would be extremely noticeable.

ANY input greatly appreciated.

Thanks
-Nick

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
It is actually pretty cheap to have someone do it and do it well. IIRC, it was about $1.72 sq/ft or so for my house.

Price included:
Sanding, Patching, Sanding sealer, 2 coats of Duraseal oil poly

I had 3 small bedrooms done for around $640 bucks. The were old school Polish guys who have been doing it thier whole life.

Plus, they use some pretty tough stains/poly that you would probably have to pay a lot for retail.
Sanding the floor is not that easy and I wouldnt want to practice on a nice floor like yours. The machine is pretty big and very powerful....a few seconds of not paying attention and your screwed.

Family ownded and operated since 1987

R&K Hardwood Flooring
773-581-6190
5535 S. Kedvale Ave.
Chicago, Il 60629

www.chicagoflooring.com

HTH and GL! B)

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
No matter what, it will be at least a 3 day job.

1 to sand and put on the sanding sealer....
1 to stain if you want.......although most people now are going rigt to a clear poly, or, a natural wood color.
1 to put the first coat of oil poly
1 to put the next coat of oil poly

3-4 days. The majority of the work is the first day. the rest of the days they are in your house and out fairly quickly. Be warned though, the smell is really strong on the oil poly and you may have to stay somewhere for the night, or, open all the windows if the weather permits.

GL, it will be worth it. B)

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
My co-worker and my parents had thier floors done and it took only 1 day for everything. (no staining done) I'll try and get a number for you just in case. It came out very nice! Good prices too!
[/b]

I doubt then that they had thier floors sanded or used sanding sealer, stained......or for that matter, multiple coats of POLY? All of that stuff take around 24 hours to cure B4 you put on the next coat.

No possible way you can do a professional job in 1 day. Even if the floors where in fairly good shape, Im betting the company or person just put another coat of poly on it. ;)

BTW, a lot of people are not staining anymore and just going with the natural finish of the poly....Saves a day or 2 as well.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info