3800 FAT32 to NTFS conversion

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
..without losing any info, and not using any other harddrive other than the one thats in the computer? I saw this link, http://www.tweakxp.com/article36970.aspx but its very vague, and doesnt seem very "safe". I'm just looking to do this conversion on my families Presario which originally came with "Windows (F'ed) ME" :angry: but has since been upgraded to Windows XP Home but still FAT32.

Thanks,
-Nick

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
Oh well I decided to just go ahead and try the conversion, if I lose the info so be it, there was nothing important on there.. Plus this computer is turning into a mutant soon. It will be running a (Socket 478) Northwood 2.6Ghz P4 instead of the (Socket 428) Willamette 1.7Ghz P4, on the OEM motherboard.[/b]

I never heard of a socket 428 Processor your probably thinking of a 423. Can you also explain to me how your gonna put a socket 478 cpu in a 423 motherboard. Adding a faster processor on a Compaq/HP/Dell etc will NOT make the computer run faster. Even if the cpu is compatible I believe its the bios that will limit the speed to whatever came stock on the computer. These name-brand computers are designed not to be able todo the shit your trying todo.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
u can. there is a converter that will do that. i had one...
and the bios will support up to a certain speed. they mass produce the bios for all their machines.
i would back everything important up just incase. its not very safe[/b]

a converter? I never have seen such a thing... The BIO's will lock the cpu at the stock speed, any other compatible CPU that is added will run no faster than that. Even if the BIO's wasn't a issue the motherboard surely wouldn't support a CPU that is almost a ghz faster. Im guessing you also think you can overclock a Compaq/Dell/HP etc.

Let me know how it goes Nick, shoot me a IM if you got any questions.

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
seriously. i have a gateway socket 423 mobo with a converter. it came stock with a 1.7 GHZ. but since we didnt get the top of the line computer that was out back then we upgraded. we got a converter and a 2.8GHz cpu. it only ran at 2.0, but we got a good deal on the CPU, and the 1.7 burned out so we upgraded. if anything all he needs is to upgrade the bios.
what ur saying is like saying u cant upgrade ram from the stock amount....its rediculous.
i can guarantee you that his PC isnt running at 2.6. the 423 never went that fast. but i can imagine its running at 2.0

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
I got it converted, had to repair the boot files, but all is well.

Two questions someone might be able to help me (Google didnt help) with is, what voltage does a 1.7Ghz (running at 1695mhz-according to CPU-Z) P4 Willamette Socket 423 processor (not overclocked nor modded), normally run at?

Why I ask is because according to CPU-Z my processor is running at 1.904 volts, and I dont know if that is normal or not for this processor.

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
I got it converted, had to repair the boot files, but all is well.

Two questions someone might be able to help me (Google didnt help) with is, what voltage does a 1.7Ghz (running at 1695mhz-according to CPU-Z) P4 Willamette Socket 423 processor (not overclocked nor modded), normally run at?

Why I ask is because according to CPU-Z my processor is running at 1.904 volts, and I dont know if that is normal or not for this processor.
[/b]

according to cpu world, it's Vcore is 1.75

Linkage.....

your adapter thing may be playing with the reading voltage in cupz, or it could indeed be over volting it that much... yikes!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info