3800 Putting in a rear main seal

• Thread starter imported_PaceCarBoozer
  • Start date
I

imported_PaceCarBoozer

I heard from a mechanic friend that to do the rear main seal, you need a special centering tool. He said that the seal will go in fine, but without using the tool, it will start leaking like crazy in a couple months. Anyone heard of this or possibly have the tool.

I'm pulling the motor and trans in the next month (hopefully), and while it's out and everything is easy to get to, I'm planning on putting in new front and rear seals, new timing chain and chain tensioner, new trans seal, and if I can get my hands on one for a descent price, an '04 balancer.

Anything else that anyone else can think of? No, I'm not putting in a cam....before anyone says it :)
CJ

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
i've never had any problems with one piece rear main seals all i use is a nice broad flat face hammer in most cases or i'll use a 6 inch piece of 3/4 solid square bar to spread the load and get it flush with the face of the cover

it's much easier if the rear cover is off the engine...

I once heard the same thing about needing a special tool. Wonder if it's one of those urban myths or perhaps just certain cars? Oh and you really should just go ahead and do the cam while you're in there. [/b]

they also say i need special tools for rebuilding auto transmissions....i've only needed a couple, the rest werent really neccesary with an attention to detail

I

imported_PaceCarBoozer

I don't really know what to think, he said he did one on a GTP and it was leaking like a seive after 3 months. Weather that was cause he didn't put it in right and ripped the seal a bit or something like that, I don't know. However, the reason I'm doing this now is so I don't have to pull the motor again (unless I nuke it). I just want to do it once, do it right and be done with it.

I'm gonna do head gaskets, valve seals, and anything else I can think of. Pretty much, I don't want to have to open up the motor again for something little that I "didn't feel like it". The motor has 110,000 on it, so most of this stuff is due.

Once again......NOOOOOO CAM!!

I

imported_PaceCarBoozer

most times when i see a bad leaking one piece rear main seal it's because it wasnt put over the end of the crank right and the inner lip gets folded over....happended to me after i builtup the 3.8 in my chrysler...thats what happens when your in a rush....you goof up

i take it the engine's outta the car?
[/b]

it will be in the next month or so, I have to get the garage straightened up so I have room to work and spread things out. I hate working in a mess. Thanks for everyone's input, and if you guys can think of anything else that should be done (BESIDES A CAM), post it up.
thanks again
CJ

I

imported_1fastGTP

<div class='quotemain'>
most times when i see a bad leaking one piece rear main seal it's because it wasnt put over the end of the crank right and the inner lip gets folded over....happended to me after i builtup the 3.8 in my chrysler...thats what happens when your in a rush....you goof up

i take it the engine's outta the car?
[/b]

it will be in the next month or so, I have to get the garage straightened up so I have room to work and spread things out. I hate working in a mess. Thanks for everyone's input, and if you guys can think of anything else that should be done (BESIDES A CAM), post it up.
thanks again
CJ
[/b][/quote]

so lets start a donation for CJ needs a cam!!! muahaha. You know u want one... mines commen out... :) but anyways when the time comes let me know, ill be there to help ya out/basically drink beer and watch you do the work! haha kidding.

thesexy99GT

Regular
Aug 9, 2008
i'd maybe suggest doing a series of tests on the motor before you pull it to check for any signs of early wear, such as compression tests, cyl leakdown tests, (see if you need some rings or to check out a certain cylinder) check the timing chain and lifters (once motor's pulled), other than that, a few new main gaskets/seals, and a properly set valvetrain, and some good cleaning adn you should be set with a car that runs like new...only better.... made even better if a certain valvetrain duration modifier were installed!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info