3800 Nasty vibration

thebullfrog

Addict
Sep 12, 2008
Algonquin
Real Name
Jerimiah
Whenever I'm on the gas at all- even just enough to maintain a constant speed above about 45MPH the whole car feels like it's about to come apart. My first thought is a CV. My mech. agrees. The thing that's starting to make me doubt is that if I floor it, the car goes dead smooth. Going up a hill, or giving just enough throttle to build boost but stay in 4th gear makes it hard to even see straight, but stomp on it and it's like gliding on ice. It doesn't feel like a mis-fire at all. It's just this deep rythmic vibration through out the entire car. Nothing shows up on the scanner to indicate it's in the engine. Also the CV boots are perfect. Am I thinking about it too hard and it's really a CV or could there be something else? It did it real slightly when I bought the car. Felt like an out of balance tire, but now I don't even want to drive above 40mph it's gotten so bad.

itlnrob

Addict
Nov 2, 2008
yeah, but speed has almost nothin got do with it. It gets worse above 40 but it's only when im on the gas. And since i bought the car it's gotten much much worse. I don't really see a wheel continiously getting more and more out of balance.
[/b]

I'm willing to bet its the hub. They get louder and louder the faster you go. Go to a dealer if you want to pay a higher price to get it fixed, or your local meinike(sp) should be able to do it less.

smknL67

Regular
Aug 7, 2007
Bensenville
I just spent sunday morning fixing the same problem with my car. It was the axle on the drivers side on my car. It cost me $80 at Lees autoparts. What sucks is that when I was taking off the axle I checked my ball joints and I need ball joints pretty bad too and tire rods.

Here is what I would do. Lift the car, take off both front tires and put the car on jackstands and put it on drive and go look on both sides. When you do that you will see/ hear exactly whats wrong (assuming you have mechanical experience)

If your close to bensenville I can take a look at it for you.

thebullfrog

Addict
Sep 12, 2008
Algonquin
Real Name
Jerimiah
Um, whats all this about getting louder and hearing noise. There is no noise. At least not that I've heard. I feel a nasty-ass vibrating (the whole car) but it's dead silent. Not a bad idea about watching the tires spin though, I'll give that a try as soon as I get the time.
Oh, and they're called TIE rods. Not tire rods. god it bugs me when people say that.... But I'm nowhere near Bensenville, so I'll have to trouble shoot on my own. I'll likely have my mech. do it for me, but it would be nice to find the culprit.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
go for a drive with a scan tool and see whether the shuddering happens when the TCC is locked i bet thats the problem, i've seen it only twice but it's a possibility

when the shuddering happens do this:

when shuddering LIGHTLY touch the brakes (just enough to lite up your brake lights) if the shudder disapears then i'd say it's 99% the TCC which will disengauge when the brake is depressed

it is also shut off (not locked up) when over a certain % of throttle

where you located?

thebullfrog

Addict
Sep 12, 2008
Algonquin
Real Name
Jerimiah
Um, the brakes? Get this. Went out logging. Was doing about 100MPH. Unexpected stop sign materialized from nowhere. Slammed on the brakes. Keep in mind they're pretty much shot. Got so hot the pedal went to the floor and I, well, wasn't stopping lol. Kinda rolled through the stop sign. Thank God it was the middle of the night. Car reaked of burning brake fluid. They were THAT hot. Vibration went away. I'm not kidding. It's like almost gone. It's hardly noticable now. I knew I had a warped rotor already, but it wasn't near bad enough to account for the way the car was shaking or so I thought. After toasting my brakes (they're trashed now) the rotor doesn't feel warped (braking is smoother) and the vibration is almost gone. I think I managed "unwarp" the rotor. Weird. We'll see what happens after I replace all the pads and rotors in a couple weeks, but I may have solved the problem.

Drob8

Jan 27, 2008
I have a similar (maybe same) problem. My bushings on my control arm have rotted away. Nasty vibrations, but only when on the gas. I can be doing 90 and if I'm off the gas, it's silent. If I hit it though, it feels like my wheels are gonna fall off.

Midas and another mechanic both want $300+ to fix. For two little rubber bushings. I'm hoping I can find an alternative.

Let me know if this helps.

Mike

Um, the brakes? Get this. Went out logging. Was doing about 100MPH. Unexpected stop sign materialized from nowhere. Slammed on the brakes. Keep in mind they're pretty much shot. Got so hot the pedal went to the floor and I, well, wasn't stopping lol. Kinda rolled through the stop sign. Thank God it was the middle of the night. Car reaked of burning brake fluid. They were THAT hot. Vibration went away. I'm not kidding. It's like almost gone. It's hardly noticable now. I knew I had a warped rotor already, but it wasn't near bad enough to account for the way the car was shaking or so I thought. After toasting my brakes (they're trashed now) the rotor doesn't feel warped (braking is smoother) and the vibration is almost gone. I think I managed "unwarp" the rotor. Weird. We'll see what happens after I replace all the pads and rotors in a couple weeks, but I may have solved the problem.
[/b]

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info