3800 header install

tonys99gtp

Regular
May 19, 2008
Carpentersville
Real Name
Tony
Im going to install my pacesetter headers on friday. And i was wondering what differnt bolts i need to buy for the install. Anyone that installed them did you use the bolts that came with the headers or did you buy new ones. Thanks in advance.

John
[/b]

I had Ron install mine. I know he went out and picked up longer ones. I dont know the size though.

I

imported_1fastGTP

if you can get a hold of ron, ask him cuz i knew he had some trouble with the 1st set because he said they were a tad different then the others. he installed the 1st set on my buddies prix, and he said the togs were easier.. haha.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

I can get the PS'ers in pretty quick now, but yeah they need some massaging. I even got 2 sets with the "expanded" crossover, and still had to weld them to prevent leaking. The crossover bolts are definately too short. They will work, but it's way easier to just go to lowes or whatever to get some longer SS ones. The 3 bolt collector bolts work fine, and don't bother using the supplied paper gaskets...totally worthless!

If you aren't welding the crossover to the y pipe, liberally coat the inside of the Y, and the outside of the tubes before install, and use better band clamps. They are actually pretty decent headers if it weren't for the crappy Y pipe sealing area. The layout is actually the best IMHO over any of the other headers.

Also, you may or may not need to re-route the starter power wire, so you will want to do a trial fit of the front header before you bolt it down (learned the hard way)

Xtant12

TCG Elite Member
May 31, 2007
I want those headers to.. Let me know how the install goes.. I agree with Fish.. The bolts should work.. I know Ryan and Brian have headers and they went in with no problem.. Never heard anything about changing screws.. To change out the back manifolds Im not to sure how you are going to tackle that, I was told to get the straps that you use when moving that go in the back of a pick up and you crank to make tighter.. put that around the charger and hook on the front dog bones and crank to remove.. Thats what Brian did and Ron mentioned that to me awhile ago... But yeah, Good luck, and I second if you have any problems, Call Ron.. ;)

I

imported_Ron Vogel

The problem with the bolts is that they don't allow the use of washers because of their length. If you install them without washers, it gouges the flange, and doesn't spread the bolts TQ evenly...so you may warp the flanges. So yes, you can use the supplied bolts, but it makes the install more difficult, and you may damage the flange. I do little extra things like this just from experience, and others may not if they if they only installed them on their own personal car.

Ask anybody on this, I get pretty anal about things going together the right way!

I

imported_silverbullet

ron installed mine. here are the bolts he replaced. you can't see the other bolt cause of the hose in the way.

IMG_1965.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info