3800 Question for those who had a TB spacer leak...

• Thread starter imported_GraFFix
  • Start date
I

imported_GraFFix

As most of you know my car seems to have a blown head gasket...But I just had a crazy idea about the TB spacer and how they sometimes leak.

I was just wondering...those of you who have had this leak on them what were the symptoms your car had when the coolant was flowing into the TB?

the only reason Im asking is that would it be possible if my TB spacer blew the gasket out and leaked coolant into the intake wouldnt that have the similar effects of blowing a head gasket. Where as coolant would be getting into the motor and burning off?

When my supposed head gasket blew I was able to drive like normal for close to 20 minutes with no check engine lights, no over heating...the only thing I had was a little sputtering, lots of white smoke out the exhaust but only when I stopped for a light and started moving again...10 seconds after that the smoke and the car drove like normal. When I came to a stop and sat for 30 seconds or so. then I would blow smoke again for a few seconds...

Wouldnt that be a sonofabitch if my TB spacer was leaking and I really didnt blow a head gasket...lol

Im going to pull the TB off tonight and just check the gaskets...I should be able to see if the coolant blew through it and if thats the case....im gonna jump off the nearest bridge cause the cars been sitting for almost a month now lol

thoughts?

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
Sounds VERY possible in my opinion. Somewhat similar to the UIM failure of the L36's. I mean, headgasket failure also seems to correspond with overheating which you never incured. So remove that TB spacer, take a look to see if it was leaking (should be obvious), and hope its the problem. Didnt you say you didnt have milky oil? Sounds VERY promising that it was just the TB spacer.

No point in jumping off the bridge now, better to have found out now then when it was all torn down.. unless you're giving me one or both of those cars..

CoolGTX

let sleeping dogs lie
Nov 17, 2008
Hotel 4 Dogs
Real Name
J/O
If the T/B gasket leaks, you will smell it, or see it leaking under/around the T/B-spacer. Try a new gasket minus the spacer/IMHO.

are you intercooled? I dont remember how far youve gone.

when its apart, check in the blower as far as you can for coolant. feel around for it with clean fingers.

toss in new plugs, and check them/one or two of them, for anymore residue.

audiogob654

Jun 20, 2008
i blew my TB spaceer gasket and it was a real bitch to fix there was coolant everywhere all over everything, and now my low coolant light is on and wont go off after i toped it off and i opened the bleader valve and got coolant out there and its still on
As most of you know my car seems to have a blown head gasket...But I just had a crazy idea about the TB spacer and how they sometimes leak.

I was just wondering...those of you who have had this leak on them what were the symptoms your car had when the coolant was flowing into the TB?

the only reason Im asking is that would it be possible if my TB spacer blew the gasket out and leaked coolant into the intake wouldnt that have the similar effects of blowing a head gasket. Where as coolant would be getting into the motor and burning off?

When my supposed head gasket blew I was able to drive like normal for close to 20 minutes with no check engine lights, no over heating...the only thing I had was a little sputtering, lots of white smoke out the exhaust but only when I stopped for a light and started moving again...10 seconds after that the smoke and the car drove like normal. When I came to a stop and sat for 30 seconds or so. then I would blow smoke again for a few seconds...

Wouldnt that be a sonofabitch if my TB spacer was leaking and I really didnt blow a head gasket...lol

Im going to pull the TB off tonight and just check the gaskets...I should be able to see if the coolant blew through it and if thats the case....im gonna jump off the nearest bridge cause the cars been sitting for almost a month now lol

thoughts?
[/b]

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info