3800 computer people

Kyle

TCG Elite Member
Dec 30, 2008
Downers Grove
Custom Built on Ebay

So I was looking around ebay and found this.
They have good feedback and seem pretty profressional and sell quite a few of these.

Anyway So I was thinking starting with that system and adding:

Windows XP Media Center
Media Center Remote
Additional 160 GB Harddrive
Additional DVD Burner
Built in Card Reader
And 3 port Firewire card

That put me around $970

Seemed like a very good computer for the price and everything I'd be getting out of it.

I guess I was just wondering what everyone thinks in general and if the video card is good enough to run alot of current games.

thanks

I

imported_1fastGTP

its not bad, make sure you get xp pro. the motherboard company isnt one of my favs.. but its pci which is the newest for video quality, so your video speed will be quick. id say its a decent for the price. if you wanna see how much everything is worth go to newegg.com or go to bestbuy n such to compare all the prices.

bigsammoe

TCG Elite Member
May 25, 2007
Gurnee
mother board is crap...

seems like all the cheap little parts.. could give yea a better video card..since he is givin all that ram.
iam a beliver in shoping and piceing things together.. iam sure you can get a better deal..but that chip always has a nice price and so does the ram.. MCE is sweet i love it.. that 160 hd will be filled with movies and tv shows... i got a nice program that cuts out the commercails (sp?) for yea with one click and you dont have to do one thing.

thebullfrog

Addict
Sep 12, 2008
Algonquin
Real Name
Jerimiah
Yeah, the motherboard is def. crap. Beyond that it doesn't look too bad. The Nvidia card should be able to pretty much keep up with newer games. I run a 6600GT in the rig I just built and run Half Life 2 at full blast no prob. But the stuff coming out like Bioshock etc. I have my doubts. Kinda interesting case though. Looks like a damn speaker. I personally would rather just build my own than trust one from Ebay, but it looks decent for the price.

thebullfrog

Addict
Sep 12, 2008
Algonquin
Real Name
Jerimiah
I've heard nothing but bad things about Vista. And it doesn't need a 64 bit processor. 32 bit runs it fine. What it does need is a crap load of RAM. It needs a gig just for windows if you want to use all the cool aero exxects stuff. Which is the whole point. Without that it's no better than XP. In fact it's worse since from what I hear, the menus suck. You have to go thriough like 3 menus just to get to search. Everything is a pain to get to, buried under layer upon layer of menu. Not to mention God knows how many bugs and security flaws it still has. I'll stick with XP MCE.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
I would go with a Core 2 Duo Processor, Asus Mobo, Seagate hard-drive, EVGA or Asus Video card, Kingston Ram, Antec or Leon Li case, and Lite-On Optical drives These are all quality components with good warrentys. Price out some parts from newegg.

Ive been running Vista for Months now with no problems. Its not Vista that has problems its the older software and hardware that doesent work with it. You will need AT LEAST 2GB ram and a good video card to run Vista smoothly .

If your worried about compatibility issues go with XP but DONT install MCE, thats the biggest piece of crap OS since Windows ME.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
I've had no probs. whatsoever with MCE. Certainly nowhere near as bad as ME. On the other hand I agree 100% with all the rest of that advice. All very good quality stuff. Though a lot of people prefer AMD for gaming rigs. I've always stuck with Intel myself.[/b]

AMD used to be better for games. But now Intel is best. The slowest Core2Duo (E6300) gets better benchmarks than the fastest AMD (FX74)

I'm going to have to go with "no" on this one.[/b]

Actually Macs now share the same internal components as PCs. You can actually install Windows XP or Vista on a Mac and it will be perfectly fine. In a few years all Macs will be running Vista. But I agree macs are still gay.

DaytonaPrixMI

Regular
Dec 3, 2008
I would go with a Core 2 Duo Processor, Asus Mobo, Seagate hard-drive, EVGA or Asus Video card, Kingston Ram, Antec or Leon Li case, and Lite-On Optical drives These are all quality components with good warrentys. Price out some parts from newegg.

Ive been running Vista for Months now with no problems. Its not Vista that has problems its the older software and hardware that doesent work with it. You will need AT LEAST 2GB ram and a good video card to run Vista smoothly .

If your worried about compatibility issues go with XP but DONT install MCE, thats the biggest piece of crap OS since Windows ME.
[/b]

I would build exactly as it was said there. You must be looking at the parts I just bought for the computer I built since you listed them all.

Just build your own, its not that hard and I am sure someone will help you. ANd you don't need to go crazy overboard if you don't plan to be a heavy gamer. Just get some ram a decent processor and a good video card. You can even pick up the old intel dual core processors for cheap now if you don't want to shell out for a core 2 duo or go with AMD.

Also avoid Vista and go with either XP Home or Pro. THe only difference in the two is Pro you can join to a domain which I am guessing isn't anything you will be doing. Vista will chew up too much processor power and ram, and you don't get any benefits over XP with it.

Or you can just get a Mac and never have to deal with it crashing, or reformating the computer once a year and viruses aren't really a concern.

It all depends what you are looking to do with it.

JJ91284

Regular
Sep 29, 2008
That computer is garbage. and the video card sucks

Cheap economical computer

E6300 ducal core (3 year warranty)
evga 680i motherboard (lifetime warranty) around $240
Package deal $363
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16819115005

2gb Corsair xms DDR2 (lifetime warranty) pc2-6400 $167
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820145590

Seagate 250gb 16mb buffer 7200rpm $80 (5 year warranty)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16822148143

evga 7600gt video card (lifetime warranty) Under $75 (usually happens once a month)

ultra 500w ps (lifetime warranty) Can get these free with rebates (usually happens once a month)

ultra case Can get these free with rebates
http://shop1.outpost.com/product/5124886

This computer would absolutely destroy that one and it costs around $550 and can be overclocked to eaily 2.5ghz to 3 ghz and dont forget DUAL CORE (this is a full 64 bit capable machine)

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
for the price of what you would be buying off ebay, you could get a similar unit through dell with a warranty, if you didnt want to build one yourself.

If you want to build one, you need to have in mind what you want to do with it. -general web surfing, a bit of games, or heavy games, or graphics work, etc.... more games or graphics work will require a higher end video card, and more ram.... if it comes down to a question on spending a few extra bucks on a better processor, or on more ram, GET MORE RAM, and get a decent processor with the most L2 cache you can get in your price range.

as for brands? yeah ECS boards arent really any good-- kinda like the chrysler's of the motherboard world... they look pretty, some people dont have a problem, but all in all, they're crappy. --if you're going intel system intel makes good stable boards. amd wise, you've got a few choices... DFI, Biostar, Gigabyte, and asus.... DFI has some awesome products--i love mine. I have also had good luck with biostar's. the asus boards i have used, i have not been impressed with, especially considering the price hike for the name.

there's still a good bit of disagreement on which brand of processor to buy, but if youre building you own box, amd's are still cheaper for the most part. you wont really see a cost savings in intel vs amd in prebuilt systems, usually.

Memory--

the PC5400 memory (667mhz) should be your lowest speed option, but you will need to make sure that the motherboard you pick out will support your memory choice. --- if you plan to only websurf and type documents, minimum 1gig ram.... if you plan to do other stuff, minimum 2 gig. --having enough memory is key --- stick with kingston, crucial, ocz, or even ultra if need be, as far as brands go.

the video card is another thing that will vary depending on what you do with the system, but a good nvidia board with minimum 128 meg memory, reccomended 256.

the dvd/cd drives are a bit more trivial at this point in the technology market, but typically, you'l end up looking at a nec or toshiba drive... dont go sony though.. too many problems with those-- just make sure it matches the case.

cases and power supplies-

power supply... 350watt minimum. if you plan multiple hard drives, optical drives, you'll want to be in the 450 and up wattage class, but if you dont plan more than 3 or so drives total, dont waste your money on wattage.

as for the case... it's a bit more subjective, but you get what you pay for. look inside the case for good construction (rounded edges/corners, lack of sharp edges) and tool less design is always a plus. I dont like bay doors on the front.. they get broken SO EASILY you dont neccessarily have to go overboard on the case, like an all aluminum one or what not, but shop around and compare. -- and make sure it has enough drive bays for your components

as for the HD, I'd say minimum 160 gig. if you do music/movies, go 250 or more. -- seagate is getting better, maxtor is too, western digital is kinda eh... i've had the most failure with WD's as of late. Hitatchi is actually quite good (they bought ibm's hd line a few years back)

as for the OS, XP is fine. XP MCE is OK too, if you need the MCE features, but if you dont, dont worry about MCE.

Vista is still young. If you get a pre built system, and they offer it to you, i'd try it, but only if the machine you are getting will handle it well...

so yeah, i think this is my longest post ever on here.. but im a pc tech by trade, and im bored... so yeah hope you had fun reading!

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
see its still a mac. and owning a mac is like owning and modding a honda, ur just gay for doing it.
go to tigerdirect.com, price together a comp (or i can do it if ur so damn lazy) and either buy it online or go to the store in orland park or naperville and buy the parts and put the comp together urself.
oh and btw im on vista right now and i have 0 problems with it.

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
see its still a mac. and owning a mac is like owning and modding a honda, ur just gay for doing it.
go to tigerdirect.com, price together a comp (or i can do it if ur so damn lazy) and either buy it online or go to the store in orland park or naperville and buy the parts and put the comp together urself.
[/b]

meh... customer service and selection at tigerdirect sux for the most part-- newegg.com beats them hands down, just takes a day or two to get the parts.... and typically better prices, too

the only advantage to tiger is being able to go to the naperville location and get ANYTHING from the catalog/website out of their on site warehouse, same day.

superchargedgp

TCG Elite Member
Nov 11, 2008
[/b]

run photoshop, illustrator or pro tools on PC and on mac.

then tell me which one is gay

if you want a game machine puy a pc, if you want a computer buy a mac

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info