3800 slice and dice, cylinder head

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
i will be taking an L36 head using the band saw and taking ~3/4 inch slices of the cylinder head (perpendicular to the crankshaft centerline) i have 5 l36 heads to sacrafice :D i have 3 mid/late97 & 98 on castings that are machinable for inj bosses, i have one 99 l36 head and a pair of heads that came off a mid production 97 and also a pair that may be 95 castings (according to the late 94 dated rear cover on the block i yanked them from and non machinable inj bosses)
if anyone else is doing their own work i will go ahead and cut as much of the head into slices as i can, but if not i will just concentrate on area's i want to and drilling thickness holes in the port walls
the pair of 95 (to 97?) L36 heads (no machinable inj boss castings) that i may slice up to see if there are internal differences in casting thickness

i am using two l36 heads for my SI/SII hybrid mockups but should i slice the 99 head also? if the casting numbers are different from it to the two 97ish l36 heads at least i probably will

let me know if your interested or maybe i'll become a rolling show and bring some of my work to future meets B)

the only thing that sux is the saw isnt big enough for a short deck SII block much less my junk tall deck block :eek:

audiogob654

Jun 20, 2008
im a welder and ive use a bandsaw a lot and i dont get a very nice cut it was be wavy and not square when you go to put it back onid use a mill some thing more Precise
i will be taking an L36 head using the band saw and taking ~3/4 inch slices of the cylinder head (perpendicular to the crankshaft centerline) i have 5 l36 heads to sacrafice :D i have 3 mid/late97 & 98 on castings that are machinable for inj bosses, i have one 99 l36 head and a pair of heads that came off a mid production 97 and also a pair that may be 95 castings (according to the late 94 dated rear cover on the block i yanked them from and non machinable inj bosses)
if anyone else is doing their own work i will go ahead and cut as much of the head into slices as i can, but if not i will just concentrate on area's i want to and drilling thickness holes in the port walls
the pair of 95 (to 97?) L36 heads (no machinable inj boss castings) that i may slice up to see if there are internal differences in casting thickness

i am using two l36 heads for my SI/SII hybrid mockups but should i slice the 99 head also? if the casting numbers are different from it to the two 97ish l36 heads at least i probably will

let me know if your interested or maybe i'll become a rolling show and bring some of my work to future meets B)

the only thing that sux is the saw isnt big enough for a short deck SII block much less my junk tall deck block :eek:
[/b]

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
im a welder and ive use a bandsaw a lot and i dont get a very nice cut it was be wavy and not square when you go to put it back onid use a mill some thing more Precise
[/b]

didnt have any problems with the intakes it's a huge Kalamazoo bandsaw, yeah it leave striations but if i want the slices smooth thats what the belt sander is for

i was hopeing to but i didnt get to cut them today...work ran way long

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
Ok James, I'm just gonna ask. Why do you want to cut them into slices and how do ya put them back together so they are usable. You can give me the short version if you want. [/b]

i'm not putting them back together...call it destructive testing...

i want to chop up some castings that have changed over the years and i want to drill the port walls, throat, and water jacket (spec for my work on cooling system issues) so that i can measure material thickness'

i want to know how far i can go plus i want to look at the valve guide and spring seat area to see if it's possible that i can have a set of heads powder welded and machined for splayed/canted valves since it'll be cheaper for someone like me than buying a blank set of GN stg2 alloy heads (the symetrical port heads) or bare machined zzp heads

i still want to score a GN head so i can see whether we can use the GN perf symetical port heads on the SII blocks...which so far have all the halmarks of GN all the way to SIII compatability with some work...

basically after getting to slice up the intakes and finding a very intruiging problem (for those that block off TB coolant flow) i want to cut up some old heads and see what i uncover...

if anyone wants to check em out for their own head porting work they'll be on a shelf in my garage, but i'll try to post high res pics of the interesting stuff at the least

thesexy99GT

Regular
Aug 9, 2008
i'll deff be checking out your final project. maybe get a few tips from you for when i do my heads. i'm looking for a full extra (non sliced) set so i can take my time and clean them up all nice and take my time learning (looking for a good used set for dirt cheap incase i actually do this thing right <_< and can use them when i rebuild my engine) so deff. expect me around when you git r done

good luck

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• Turbocharged400sbc
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list