3800 Well, its time fellas....

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
any reason for that bob?
[/b]
there going to be/are the future of FWD tuner market. they use a smaller blower then we do imagine upgrading to a m90 like how we upgrade to m112s
or just wait for a reliable turbo kit to come out and you have a fast ass car that can still be good on gas.
last i checked ecotech setups are in like what the 5s or 6s on drag cars
they havent had big valvetrain upgrades for DDs yet, wait for some more off the shelf cams to come out

I always seem to cheer for the smaller motor-big power adder combos over a 400hp v8 beast that cant hook for shit without lots of help.

GXPs seem kinda grandpaish to me .........................but so do most GM 4 doors :ph34r:

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
The Cobalt is going to be limited by it's transmission. Watch out on that one because I bet you the high powered cars are going to start chewing through them. Small, FWD transmissions don't mix well with power.

The solution is going to be switching to a 4T65EHD and then you're talking some serious modification.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
The Cobalt is going to be limited by it's transmission. Watch out on that one because I bet you the high powered cars are going to start chewing through them. Small, FWD transmissions don't mix well with power.

The solution is going to be switching to a 4T65EHD and then you're talking some serious modification. [/b]

that wont be too bad fer a 4t60e to 4t65ehd swap...

i like this idea better...

turbocharged 3800, t56 5 spd, rwd :ph34r:

cobalt1.jpg

chipmonk212121

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2007
there has yet to be a cobalt trans that has gone out due to power. The clutch, yes, but the whole trans, no. there are plenty of people running 12's, low 13's that dont have any issues with these transmissions. most of these cars are between 30-40k miles as well so we will see how it lasts after 30-40k more miles with the same abuse on em. One thing that is weak on these cars are the axles. they need to be upgraded if you plan on running 12's w/ slicks

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
If you need something to daily drive and it is your only car then the GTO is not the answer. My brother was left in a bad spot a few times this winter. He had intended to buy a winter car but apparently the nice weather kept him from doing it. But if you plan on getting a beater, get the GTO!

John

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
there has yet to be a cobalt trans that has gone out due to power. The clutch, yes, but the whole trans, no. there are plenty of people running 12's, low 13's that dont have any issues with these transmissions. most of these cars are between 30-40k miles as well so we will see how it lasts after 30-40k more miles with the same abuse on em. One thing that is weak on these cars are the axles. they need to be upgraded if you plan on running 12's w/ slicks
[/b]

god danm thay have came along way, when I had my redline I think the fastest was like a 13.9 lol

I

imported_1fastGTP

your in the same boat as kyle... he went from modding the gp to demodding. then waiting for this new stuff with the gp, then changed his mind to the gto, then.. was gunna get a full build from wbodystore... back to the gto.. haha to each is own. i understand people wanting a new car.. but if you have done so much to it, and then decide eh i dont want it.. you already lost a chunk of change from buyen all that you have just to say hell with it. Since this isnt about keepen the car, get the goat keep the sho for winter. ryan if you do officially go through with this.. atleast swap rims with me.. :)

98GTPDriva

TCG Elite Member
Jun 24, 2008
Not to rain on your parade, but I think from an investment point-of-view you should stick with what you currently own and be done with it. Every time you are buying and/or selling a car, you are losing money. Whether it is in depreciation or from mods, people are typically losing thousands of dollars when they buy or sell a car. IIRC, you are 20 years old and soon enough you will want to move out and get your own place. Moving into an apartment is not an investment because you will see no return on it once you move out, so the better way to go is buying a condo/townhouse/house/etc. Chicago is not a cheap place to live and a mortgage is very expensive and even more expensive when you put little or no money down. From there, you have to buy furniture, food, etc., and pay utilities, property taxes, etc. too. All-in-all, the money you are putting into your car(s) is just money you are basically throwing away instead of saving/investing for the future. I'm not saying don't mod or don't buy a new(er) car, but wait until your salary is greater and you have increased income to do such things.

I'm 23, make good money for my first year in the corporate world, and my GTP has 79k on it. Every time I see a GTO/GXP I want to buy one. However, either car will cost 18-25k giving me a $400+ monthly car payment for 4-5 years. By choosing to keep my GTP (which is in realtively good shape), I am saving that car payment every month (plus more) and investing it in mutual funds or an online savings account making 4.5% interest. I only have a few thousand dollars invested thus far, but in about seven months time I've made almost $500 on my initial investment for just letting the money sit. I know that is not a lot, but give it another 1.5-2 years with me increasing my investment at about 1k per month and that amount will grow. Mutual funds can be risky, but generally if you let your money sit you will earn a 10% return or so.

I still plan on modding my car a bit, but it will be sparingly, so that it does not hamper my townhouse fund. I plan on buying a townhouse in roughly 2 years (in the 190-210k range) and putting at least 10% down in addition to having extra money to cover food, furniture, bills, etc.

I guess my advice is to simply look a few years into the future as you will be out of college before you know it. It never hurts to look into the future and wait to do things until you are more financially secure. The same thing goes with your 401(k), start contributing ASAP. Your employer's matching contribution is FREE money!

Good luck with whatever you do... and I look forward to seeing whatever sweet-ass ride(s) you have in the spring.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info