3800 how hard to change valve springs

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
I have the modded stock 1.9 rockers and i believe my car is getting valve float. At about 5,500 rpm the car studders, falls on its face, feels like it hit a rev limiter in every gear. I have two options, go back to stock rockers or change the springs. How hard it is to change the springs? My car is a 2001 with 80K miles on it. I would rather keep the 1.9's and change the springs if it is not that much of a pita.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
I have the modded stock 1.9 rockers and i believe my car is getting valve float. At about 5,500 rpm the car studders, falls on its face, feels like it hit a rev limiter in every gear. I have two options, go back to stock rockers or change the springs. How hard it is to change the springs? My car is a 2001 with 80K miles on it. I would rather keep the 1.9's and change the springs if it is not that much of a pita.
[/b]

your looking to do on car or are you pulling the heads for some pocket porting and backcut valves?

on car it isnt bad at all...but off car i get to use my really nice compressor :p

if you put on your rockers you can do it

you might want to throw your stock rockers on temporarily and see whether that affects the valvefloat issue....you know verify that is your problem....

smug

TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
I was wanting to do this with the heads on the car. I ordered the rocker install kit from zzp and it has a set of v/c gaskets and gm rocker bolts. I install the stock rockers for a very short amount of time to see if the issus goes away and i reuse anything, or am i out of v/c gaskets and bolts?

I

imported_PaceCarBoozer

get yourself a little powerful magnet, like the kind thats the size of a pen to retreive lost bolts and such. It makes getting the valve spring retainers out sooooooo much easier. There are two valve spring compressors, the prybar kind and one that screws in from the top (not sure how to describe it). I like the one that screws it down from the top cause it leaves both of your hands free, and is more controllable. They can both be found at an auto parts store for fairly cheap. You will also need the thing (don't know what to call it) that threads in to where your spark plug is and then connects to the air compressor so the valves don't fall in. It's an easy process.
CJ

smug

TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
i will get the pry bar style compresser. I have a set of head off a 05 gt engine with 2K miles on it. I think I am going to use thoses springs. I should be able to run stock springs to 6K with out a problem. I called zzp and asked if they are intchangeable and they are. I must have a worn spring having 80K on them.

S

sr71_rgl

i will get the pry bar style compresser. I have a set of head off a 05 gt engine with 2K miles on it. I think I am going to use thoses springs. I should be able to run stock springs to 6K with out a problem. I called zzp and asked if they are intchangeable and they are. I must have a worn spring having 80K on them.
[/b]

I had the same exact symptoms when I owned my GS. Turned out to be plugs...

smug

TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
I just got done changing valve spring and went with stock springs off my 05 gp motor with 2K on it. I used them becaue they will be usless with my cam and all that stuff when i build it up. I also changed the plugs because i had to take them out anyways and there cheap. I just got back from takin it out for a short drive and couldnt really got on it hard being in town and with the slick streets, but i got past 6K rpm with no issues. Hopefully as i get to test it out tomorrow everything will be all good. That number 2 cylinder is a pita with all that crap in the way :lolsign:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info