3800 Since when is window tint a moving violation

Gkain

Oct 9, 2008
It always has been, but several years ago the city code was amended so that it could also be written on a "compliance Violation" AKA a parking ticket.

If you are driving and stoped for tint, then its a mover. If the car is parked with nobody around then it goes on a complaince violatin notice(parking ticket).

Hope this helps

Gary

PS If you got a mover for tint, bring a reciept that you had it removed and I'm 99.999999% sure it will get tossed out.

chipmonk212121

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2007
j) A person found guilty of violating paragraphs (a), (B, or (i) of this Section shall be guilty of a petty offense and fined no less than $50 nor more than $500. A second or subsequent violation of paragraphs (a), (B, or (i) of this Section shall be treated as a Class C misdemeanor and the violator fined no less than $100 nor more than $500. Any person convicted under paragraphs (a), (B, or (i) of this Section shall be ordered to alter any nonconforming windows into compliance with this Section.
(Source: P.A. 94‑564, eff. 8‑12‑05.)

Xtant12

TCG Elite Member
May 31, 2007
<div class='quotemain'>
um, window tint is not a moving violation. lemme see if i can find the state law on it. i dont know about chicago city law, but it is not a state law that its a moving violation.
[/b]

It becomes a moving violation after the 2nd ticket issued. 1st ticket for tint is a equipment ticket, 2nd is miving violation.
[/b][/quote]

He is basically right.. I have 3 tickets Im going to court for this week and next.. I was also told as of 2007 it is FULL Enforcement for tint tickets.. Thats why I had to take mine off.. Im actually righting a letter to the governor about how much of a pointless law it is..

Gkain

Oct 9, 2008
If you are driving and stoped for tint, then its a mover. If the car is parked with nobody around then it goes on a complaince violatin notice(parking ticket).

Hope this helps

Gary

PS If you got a mover for tint, bring a reciept that you had it removed and I'm 99.999999% sure it will get tossed out.
[/b]

Perhaps I should have said if you are driving the car you will be given a Personal issue citation for the violation, and if the car is parked it will be issued on a Compliance Violation Notice

Chicago City Code...Better known as The Municipal Code of Chicago has two seperate violations for window tint.

1. 9-76-220(a) window tint when the vehicle is parked, and
2 9-76-220(b.) window tint during vehicle operation.

Those are short versions of the code, but you get the idea.

You guys are hung up on this whole "Moving Violation" vs. fix-it ticket thing. Illinois only cares about convictions of state charges on your record. Which is why city charges never show up on your drivers abstract. The city of Chicago has home rule. Home rule is when a city can make its own laws/ordinances that parallel the states laws. The city with home rule can then enforce either set of laws, and when enforcing the cities laws the city can keep all the money and not share with the state.

Now the only cities with a population of over 1 million residents can have home rule, so that means only Chicago has home rule!! Although Rockford is closing in on 1 million people

Gary

Oh yeah before I forget these are considered Quasi-criminal offenses, meaning they carry a fine only, no jail time

Gkain

Oct 9, 2008
Just thought i would throw this out there. Straight from the Municipal Code of Chicago.

9-76-220 Obstruction of driver's vision; tinted and nonreflective windows.
(a) No person shall operate a motor vehicle on any roadway with any sign, poster, window application, reflective material, nonreflective material or tinted film on the front windshield, sidewings or side windows immediately adjacent to either side of the operator. A nonreflective tint screen may be used along the uppermost portion of the front windshield if the material does not extend more than six inches down from the top of the windshield.

(b.) It is unlawful to park or stand a vehicle on any portion of the public way if the vehicle is equipped with nonreflective, smoked or tinted glass or nonreflective film on the front windshield, sidewings or side windows immediately adjacent to either side of the driver's seat.

© It is a defense to a charged violation of subsection (a) or subsection (b.) of this section that the motor vehicle complies with the use, medical prescription and documentation provisions of Paragraph (g) of Section 12-503 of the Illinois Vehicle Code, as amended.

(Amend Coun. J. 2-7-97, p. 38961; Amend Coun. J. 5-26-04, p. 24938, § 1

PLease note that as of 2007 the medical provision will be eliminated, altough I'm not sure of the exact date

EDIT: I had it backwards in the post above (a) is driving, and (b.) is parked I was trying to do it from memory.

chipmonk212121

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2007
no offense, but moving violations vs. non-moving violations makes a world of difference.... moving violations can cause you to lose your liscense. non-moving violations cant. you wont get your liscence suspended for 3 months for having 3 window tint convictions before the age of 21 while 3 speeding convictions will

Gkain

Oct 9, 2008
no offense, but moving violations vs. non-moving violations makes a world of difference.... moving violations can cause you to lose your liscense. non-moving violations cant. you wont get your liscence suspended for 3 months for having 3 window tint convictions before the age of 21 while 3 speeding convictions will
[/b]

None taken, I guess where we are not seeing eye to eye is that I'm talking about a city charge, that the state will never know or care about. Again read my post where I said the state only cares about State convictions.

Gary

Xtant12

TCG Elite Member
May 31, 2007
[/b]

YES, but here is the thing.. I have court thursday and I'm being FORCED to take SUPERVISION for my tint ticket.. They changed laws as of 2007... Thats why Im going to go to court and try to get it thrown out.. I will let you know what happens...

I

imported_1fastGTP

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

YES, but here is the thing.. I have court thursday and I'm being FORCED to take SUPERVISION for my tint ticket.. They changed laws as of 2007... Thats why Im going to go to court and try to get it thrown out.. I will let you know what happens...
[/b][/quote]

goodluck, even if you win you got those damn court fee's to pay!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info