3800 has anyone ever teflon stripped an M90 G III or V

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
has anyone had one of the blower companies machine grooves (18 long and our rotors can have 12 end strips if desired) in the M90 rotors for teflon half round strips...most of the time they hard anodize the rotors and case for a better wear surfaces after the grooves are machined and the teflon strips installed

i could definatly see this being done to a genV with it's superior flow characteristics right off the bat

think about the efficiency not having air sneak past the rotors with the superior sealing of teflon, top fuel guys have been all about blower efficiency (the setback blowers-for better cyl to cyl air distribution, and changes in blower hats) since they cut back the nitro and are overdriving the blowers even faster.

rotor%2014-71%20hhk9.jpg

http://www.dmpeinc.com/index.php also has supercharger gel lubricant for even better sealing and friction reduction along with machining of rotors for stripping
so does BDS
http://www.blowerdriveservice.com/repairservice.php

so if you kept an extra set of rotors already restripped you could pop em in at the track and max your boost levels

maybe i'm crazy but i'm curious if anyone has done it in the community
if not i bet it's the best bridge between the g5 and the whipple...but i'll always love turbochargers...

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
i could swear that both eatons use an epoxy type coating...the surface of the rotors on the G3's in my garage sure as hell aint slick or comparable to a teflon coated metal pan...

i'm just saying that if teflon stripping a larger roots blower can increase efficiency by more than 5% i could def see benifits for the smaller 90 ci eaton... especially if someone's going for an M90 (3 or 5) record

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
FWIW I believe the Gen V blower had some sort of adiabatic process done on it and doesnt use the teflon coating like the GenIII's.
[/b]

lol @ use of adiabatic

Neither Gen3 or Gen5 has teflon in it anywhere, save for maybe a bearing surface somewhere...
Gen3's have a fixed thickness epoxy coating designed to be applied and stay.
The Gen5 has an abradable coating that is designed to be laid on thick and wear into itself, causing better sealing characteristics than the normal epoxy. This is what leads to the Gen5's increased volumetric efficiency. Adiabatic efficiency is improved too, but that's a combination of outlet/inlet design along with the coating change.

I'd think a Gen3 would benefit the most from this type of thing, the only thing I'd worry about is durability. At the rotor speeds we run these things at with the pulley sizes some of us run, I'd be concerned with how they fix the teflon stripping to the rotor itself. It would be seeing some pretty complex loading from both the rotational speed, pressure pulses, thermal expansion, etc. I'd like to see it done, but I'm not wealthy or ballsy enough to be the guinea pig :lol:

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
<div class='quotemain'>
FWIW I believe the Gen V blower had some sort of adiabatic process done on it and doesnt use the teflon coating like the GenIII's.
[/b]

lol @ use of adiabatic

Neither Gen3 or Gen5 has teflon in it anywhere, save for maybe a bearing surface somewhere...
Gen3's have a fixed thickness epoxy coating designed to be applied and stay.
The Gen5 has an abradable coating that is designed to be laid on thick and wear into itself, causing better sealing characteristics than the normal epoxy. This is what leads to the Gen5's increased volumetric efficiency. Adiabatic efficiency is improved too, but that's a combination of outlet/inlet design along with the coating change.[/b][/quote]
on the coating: then it would be safe to say that the g5 rotor coating is such that it adhere's to the aluminum rotors better than it does to itself...so you could possibly find a way to coat a set of rotors with a powdercoating or a coating very similar to that used on piston skirts (that live a horribly short life in the short deck high thrust load SII's) i'm sure DART coatings or Calico coatings can come up with a cost effective coating

one thing i have been curious of is if the rotors are machined from billet blanks or castings...i would think that for a cost effective effort by eaton they may have went cast...in which case there can be an argument that the rotors can be machined from billet aluminum (heck you dont have to stay with a trilobal design at that point...you could twin screw an M90) for better strength with less deflection, you could (if your a rotating inertia nazi) at that point gundrill the lobes much like the big roots fella's

it's also safe to say that if you had a more dynamic seal (aka teflon half round strips) that can seal better while the rotors are under high boost deflection (upward towards the top of the blower case and inlet area) you would increase your pumping efficiency. so depending on the cost involved to machine the dovetails into M90 rotors, you could make a case for a serious M90 car having two sets of rotors machined with slots drive one to the track hot swap it to the spare (newly) stripped rotors and have some fun B)

I'd think a Gen3 would benefit the most from this type of thing, the only thing I'd worry about is durability. At the rotor speeds we run these things at with the pulley sizes some of us run, I'd be concerned with how they fix the teflon stripping to the rotor itself. It would be seeing some pretty complex loading from both the rotational speed, pressure pulses, thermal expansion, etc. I'd like to see it done, but I'm not wealthy or ballsy enough to be the guinea pig :lol
[/b]

i think your right, the gen3 will show more gains from this specific mod vs a gen 5 (stock or ported)
i doubt there is an issue with durability, yes the seal will wear down and not be as tight fitting to the case, but should be more than capable of handling the high temps of continuous street use, and highly overdriven speeds
you have to think of what applications it's currently in use, lately since the decrease in nitro, blower technology has advanced considerably, setback (centered outlet) high helix 10 and 14-71 blowers. teflon stripping has been around a long time with improvements along the way
also dont forget the rotors can be nearly a foot in diameter compared to our "dinky" M90
the teflon is installed into a tight dovetail groove and is held into place with a setscrew and the ends trimmed to fit, not that difficult to replace.

i would love to see someone attempt this if the cost to machine the rotors for the slots is cheaper than a full gen5 setup it would be nice to see what a max effort g3 m90 setup can do

Hey James, if you want, the M90 in my possesion has the coating flaking off the rotors real well. Nice and shiney under it. All you need is a finger and you can take the rest off. Ill swap you for some coated rotors. :D
[/b]

lol sure get the slots machined first :p go fer it fish, see what they would charge...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info