3800 Fun little CO fact

• Thread starter imported_Ron Vogel
  • Start date
I

imported_Ron Vogel

"The safety level for carbon monoxide as specified by the Health and Safety Executive is 50 parts per million (ppm). Between 50 - 200 ppm a healthy adult who is exposed will experience a slight headache within 2-3 hours. Between 200 - 400 ppm a frontal headache occurs within 1-2 hours, becoming widespread in 3 hours. Between 400 - 800 ppm dizziness, nausea, and convulsions occur within 45 minutes, and unconsciousness occurs in 2 hours. People suffering from heart or respiratory problems, infants, small or unborn children, expectant mothers and pets can be affected by CO poisoning more quickly than others and may be the first to show the symptoms of CO poisoning."

An hour of running the BBQ in the garage got it to 75PPM, and 15 in the house. I opened the garage to air it out, and it went down to 0, it took about 15 minutes for the house to settle down to 0 afterward also.

Moral of the story, if you're going to do dumb shit like I do sometimes...scan, scan, scan!

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
Turning the burners down to a low setting where only a blue flame is visible kept CO down to nil. I had it running all night with no problems...although the garage smells like hamburgers now!
[/b]

for that very reason i've needed to get an adjustable regulator for my propane torpedo heater the flame is way too much so i turn the valve on the tank down till i get a nice blue flame for complete combustion...it still doesnt help with Al's sensitivity but i notice the difference

it doesnt put out 30kbtu's like that but it's a cleaner heat and i dont run through tanks that often (~1 a month) i'd gladly put that $ towards the gas bill for my 90K btu furnace

i dont envy my task of pulling everything down from the rafters so i can insulate the roof...and if i have $ the top half of the walls for now

the plumbing is getting there i gotta get my buddy's tap and die set for pipe save me some $ i also cant run the flue out the roof (damn codes) so i have to out under the awning so i had to order a self sealing flue cap (keep the drafts down a bit)

my old man's X HVAC but have any of ya run an outside burner airsource setup with an older internal draw furnace? might be able to do better than 84% efficiency if i can...plus keep me from worrying about flamable gasses in my garage

next time i run across an old functioning furnace i'll give you a call, a man shouldnt have to deal with an unheated cave... B)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• I
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list