3800 Aluminum IC stud kit

• Thread starter imported_Ron Vogel
  • Start date
I

imported_Ron Vogel

I'm doing this for myself, and didn't know if there was enough interest in this to make a bunch of sets.

Basically, it's for a 2.25" IC. Partially threaded studs for mounting the IC/M90 to the LIM. The studs, washers, and nuts will all be T6061 aluminum. Not a ton of weight savings, but the hardware will always look new. To get the correct hardware and at the right size, the threads to the LIM are M8x1.25 (stock), and the nut/washer/ threaded side are 5/16". This keeps the rod the same size, and keeps the price down using the 5/6-18 threded nuts

If anyone likes this idea, I'll look into anodizing costs. It would be fine to use the raw aluminum, but anodized would be pretty cool in colors.

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
I'd honestly be a little worried about aluminum studs for this application...

Their tensile strength is so low that I'd think alot of people would end up stretching, stripping, or galling the threads.

I know that the big roots blown cars use aluminum studs, but those are alot thicker, and they're designed to break on carbed cars that have a tendency to blow up the blower. It's cheaper to blow the blower clean off the car by failing all the studs than it is for the blower or intake to crack in two or worse.

I was actually just doing some lab tension testing of 6061 T6 this morning, and this got me interested. Let me look over the hardness and tensile strength numbers before I really comment. If the strength is there, this is a decent way to lose a pound or 2, but either way, would require care to not ruin the studs when using them.

MT

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
Well, the data I have has got 6061 T6 at around 42,000 psi yield strength, and around 46,000 ultimate strength in tension. Little better than I though, but still a little low for a fastener like this, especially a very long fastener. Added to that, hardness is only around 50 HRB, so it's not terribly resiliant, and I really think it might be too soft for most people to not have problems with.

It could work, people would just have to be super careful with torque specs and procedures, and be sure to use plenty of assembly lube while torquing. There's no way to tell without doing it, but I'd definitely get a bolt stretch gauge and make sure you're not stressing these things past their yield point while testing them. Probably ought to go with a fine thread nut on top too to minimize torsion/shear during torquing.

MT

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Yup 6061 is kind of a "do everything" grade, so it's mostly used in this kind of application. Since the torque specs are low for the blower, I'm cool with it, but for other things I wouldn't use it. There are some different aircraft grade aluminum alloys to use, but they either get too expensive, or too difficult to work with. I am only going ot be threading it where it needs to be threaded, I would worry more if it were a fully threaded rod. Using only aluminum fasteners and washers should also keep down the galling, so that's what I'm doing.

Also, 6061 is used in much of the costruction of sprint cars, that fact alone makes me feel confident in it.

How does this fare?
This product matches all of your selections.

Part Number: 89055K34 $218.98 Each
Material
High Strength Titanium (Grade 5)

Shape
Rods and Discs

Diameter
5/16"

Diameter Tolerance
±0.005"

Length
72"

Length Tolerance
±1/8"

Straightness Tolerance
1/8" per foot

Finish
Ground

Hardness
Rockwell C30-C34

Maximum Attainable Hardness
Rockwell C37-C39

Yield Strength
120,000 psi

Condition/Temper
Annealed Temper

Specifications Met
American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM)

ASTM Specification
ASTM B348

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
Yup 6061 is kind of a "do everything" grade, so it's mostly used in this kind of application. Since the torque specs are low for the blower, I'm cool with it, but for other things I wouldn't use it. There are some different aircraft grade aluminum alloys to use, but they either get too expensive, or too difficult to work with. I am only going ot be threading it where it needs to be threaded, I would worry more if it were a fully threaded rod. Using only aluminum fasteners and washers should also keep down the galling, so that's what I'm doing.

Also, 6061 is used in much of the costruction of sprint cars, that fact alone makes me feel confident in it.

How does this fare?
This product matches all of your selections.

Part Number: 89055K34 $218.98 Each
Material
High Strength Titanium (Grade 5)

Shape
Rods and Discs

Diameter
5/16"

Diameter Tolerance
±0.005"

Length
72"

Length Tolerance
±1/8"

Straightness Tolerance
1/8" per foot

Finish
Ground

Hardness
Rockwell C30-C34

Maximum Attainable Hardness
Rockwell C37-C39

Yield Strength
120,000 psi

Condition/Temper
Annealed Temper

Specifications Met
American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM)

ASTM Specification
ASTM B348
[/b]

And cheap too! :lolsign:

I'm surprised with only 120 ksi yield strength from annealed Ti...

I

imported_Ron Vogel

I'd like to do the whole suspension in Ti, but that would be more (way more) than slapping on N2O, so probably won't happen. There are a few things I can make from aluminum tubing still, so I'll just stick with that. My goal is to lighten the car enough to not have to remove the interior at all for race days.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info