3800 dhp

Silvapain

Regular
Jan 29, 2008
Limestone
detonation. When the air/fuel mixture ignites during the compression stroke before the spark plug fires. It happens because there is too much heat in the combustion chamber. It can also mean that the park plug is firing too early in the compression stroke, and the mixture is pushing on the piston before it reaches TDC. The force the burning mixture puts on the piston causes the "knock" sound. The higher the Octane rating of the fuel, the slower it will burn. This means that premium fuel will allow the PCM to advance the timing more (ignite the mixture earlier in the compression stroke). The more advanced the timing, the more power.

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
Also since some people claim "well I never heard a knockin come from the engine" you wont. Our cars have knock sensors which tell the PCM to retard timing based on if they "hear knock".

In a GT you'll be wasting power by having the pcm pull timing, so just run the correct grade (premium w/DHP pcm, 87 without) and in a GTP you'll be wasting power and risking blowing your engine, especially the more modded you are. Stock I wouldnt worry about having knock, if your runnin premium.

i have another question. how do i know if my car has preformance shift?
[/b]

Does your car have a button on the shifter that you can press? If so, you have P/S, if not, well.. you dont.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info