3800 l67/hd trans swap possibly.. need advice... possible location??

thesexy99GT

Regular
Aug 9, 2008
i have 13X,XXX on my engine, it has a cyl 3 miss as well... so i figure it might need to be rebuilt... plus i thought i read somewhere that the l36 block makes better power (better compression or something) than the l67... so i wanted to throw in the l67 while i build my l36 to take the top end swap... my engine's kind of getting there... might have a headgasket problem too... not sure yet...

thesexy99GT

Regular
Aug 9, 2008
the more i read about this the more i want to do it... the problem is that everything i read tells me that i need to put in a cam and have headers in order to not blow my engine... i'm searching for a full writeup.. but so far having no luck... i really don't have the money for fuckin headers or cam at the moment (college budget)

does anyone know if i need to swap the whole hd trans.. or can i just take the differential from it and put it on my trans... or can i swap out the gears from my trans if that's work better?

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
First make sure thats not a SI L67 and 60e-HD trans

from the price i'm betting it is (has the smaller M62 blower)
find out if the injectors go into the intake each at a different angle and look at the exhaust manifolds if the port spacing isnt even, then it's a SI

i can find SI's with trans for that price all day long much harder to find the SII (much les one with a trans) for that cheap

find that out first before you start planning

thesexy99GT

Regular
Aug 9, 2008
hell yes!!! l67 series 2 from a bonne ssei... complete trans, engine (mostly, some sensors i'll have to buy), rack and pinion... all for 450 bucks!!!! i'll be getting the engine and trans in march, when his parents can bring down the equiptment (from michigan) so that leaves me plenty of time to figure out a plan of action for my build... i've decided to keep my bottom end, possibly might have to rebuild or do rings.. i think doing my mains brngs, rod brngs, and cam brngs would be wise at the very least...
after reading a lot (no where near done) i have come to a conclusion that i'll need a cam (i'm thinking XP), and some form of exhaust upgrade to run the stock 3.8 pulley... so this will give me the time to find deals and act on those purchaces...
then comes the bigger issue, the trans.... i know the main difference is the gearing, the tourqe converter, and the fact that the HD has lsd... but other than that, are the internals the same??? i was thinking of taking his trans (has less miles than mine) and putting on my final drive gears and my torque converter on the hd trans... will this work? or will i have to rebuild my trans and add his diff?
also a point of concern... will i be able to use the l67 fuel rails since i'm doing the entire top end swap? or will i have to do something custom (or zzp's option)

needless to say, i'm getting pretty anxious/excited about this project, it'll be great for my car, as well as my driving obsession.
if anyone has good links to top swap info.. i'd really really appreciate it.. i'm really trying to find a nice write up to study, find out everything i need and shortcuts.
also looking for someone local who can port my intake and supercharger once i finally get them for reasonabally cheap, i'm trying not to break the bank on this... but i need the engine/trans work, and this is too good of a deal to pass up.

thanks for anyone with some input and/or encouragement

p.s.
i'll have an l67 bottom end, and most likely a hvtb stage 1 for GT's (since i'm under the impression i should use the l67 TB) for sale in march... so just a heads up

thesexy99GT

Regular
Aug 9, 2008
alright.. update on the project that i'm sure no one remembers...

i ended up passing on the engine. i got a 260 dollar ticket (that i'm now fighting) (p.s.... fuck you wisconsin... but i deserved it rightfully) it was a hell of a deal, but unfortunately i cannot afford it now...
in the end, i guess it may be for the best seeing as i kind of already have a speeding problem, and i'm trying to become a technician, so maybe i'm just not ready for supercharged fury just yet until i learn when it's ok to use it.
so i am now just planning on doing a full rebuild on my much deserving engine and trans and making the prix a fun and stylish daily driver... it has so much shit that needs to be addressed.. ps pump is going bad because my rack is bad (got both on my floor right now from a bonne), my engine is slowly leaking oil and coolant (oil is not even noticable), i'm sure my damn upperintake leaking again, my torque converter is on it's way out, i'm sure my trans needs some love.... so i have a lot to do/spend money on.
so from now until i graduate i plan on saving up to fix all this shit and rebuild everything once i graduate in december.
and to cap off the performance mods, i will add some ER rockers, port polish my own heads, mill them a lil for some compression, port my exhaust mani's, buy a dp/high flow cat, add some 105# springs to prevent float, buy a dorman intake (and port the bitch) along with adding an hv3 to the mix... i'll also look for a hd differential to close everything off... then i'm fucking done with performance on the car until it dies and the only performance mod i do will practice my grenade throwing abilities on it....
anyone think that with that setup it'd kill me to up my shift point to 6200 or above?

anyway, ya'll can bitch at me all you want... not much you can say i've already not said to myself about passing up the kick ass deal. just thought i'd update/vent

thanks
nikk

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• T
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list