3800 MAF sensor..

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
I have sitting here a TB I bought from JET. It is a 97 GTP throttle body, and I am swapping the MAF's. The MAF sensor does NOT look like the one below, sans the part that bolts to the throttle body. It is short, and doesnt have the huge plastic airflow router thing. I don't have a pic right now, but am going to try to take one after while.

Heres a pic inside the 97 GTP throttle body

IMG_0371.JPG

Now here is the the MAF on my 97.5 GS throttlebody. Very different looking..

IMG_0366.JPG

IMG_0368.JPG

IMG_0369.JPG

Input? Opinions? Thoughts?

-Nick

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
<div class='quotemain'>
I suppose I shouldn't use that 97-98 MAF sensor in the 99+ TB then, correct?
[/b]

you cant, it wont seal the opening for the 99+ maf ducting is larger than the hole for the -98 TB maf sensor wires
[/b][/quote]

Could you elaborate more? I just took the car for a spin about an hour ago with the -98 MAF installed and had no SES light, and no other problems. Car ran better too.

I know the 99 MAF won't fit in the older throttle body, that was evident right away.

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
the car will not read air correctly at all...

Did you scan? I bet it was horrendously lean the entire time.
You're better off running off the VE table until you get a replacement MAF.

MT
[/b]

Sounds like what I will do, I didn't scan, but I figured swapping them wouldnt work out all that well.

Thanks Mat, and James.

..Damn, if only I knew it had a 99 TB on it.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
Could you elaborate more? I just took the car for a spin about an hour ago with the -98 MAF installed and had no SES light, and no other problems. Car ran better too.

I know the 99 MAF won't fit in the older throttle body, that was evident right away.
[/b]

i dont know for sure but it looks like the oring that seals the sensor on the 98\/ sensor is smaller than the oring sealing area on the 99/\ TB

so you would end up with the possibility of a small amount of unfiltered air getting past it and that air potentially being unmetered (not sensed by the MAF)

Mat is def right about the maf reading incorrectly without the properly calibrated airpath past the sensor wires...i'd bet it works but with airflow the air near the walls tends to stagnat/not move at the same velocity as the air in the middle of said orifice

i'm planning on an external MAF for the 442 so i removed the 98\/ tower and sealed the maf hole so we could use (till we score an LQ4) the smaller maf the 3x00 engines use (which we have one for free :) )which has an airfoil shaped tower so it should flow well till we get the LQ4

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
what build date is your GS? 97.5 would prob be around july/august of 97...

i remember reading a Rov "the home depot Guru" V :lolsign: post about the Inj table being screwy with the 97's

but i shall take leave of this subject since others know more than I....
[/b]

I remember that post as well. I believe it came up because he was figuring out tuning on syP's car. This car really needs a custom tune just for the fact that its a 97. Although DHP is good with generic tunes, 97's really are their own breed. I need a money, then I need a PT.

I will check the build date tomorrow, when I can see outside lol.

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
<div class='quotemain'>

i remember reading a Rov "the home depot Guru" V :lolsign: post about the Inj table being screwy with the 97's

[/b]

I remember that post as well. I believe it came up because he was figuring out tuning on syP's car. This car really needs a custom tune just for the fact that its a 97. Although DHP is good with generic tunes, 97's really are their own breed. I need a money, then I need a PT.

[/b][/quote]

eh, I wouldn't buy into that crap about 97s, my 97GS ran all its times on an AFC'ed DHP1.0, and ran 12s on a straight DHP1.0, NO tuning on top of it.

Regardless of build date, that is NOT the throttlebody that your car came off the line with. Those parts weren't even on the assembly line until the 99 model year. Running that TB won't really hurt, but it would be best to get a TB from the correct year on there.

MT

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

[/b][/quote]

eh, I wouldn't buy into that crap about 97s, my 97GS ran all its times on an AFC'ed DHP1.0, and ran 12s on a straight DHP1.0, NO tuning on top of it.

Regardless of build date, that is NOT the throttlebody that your car came off the line with. Those parts weren't even on the assembly line until the 99 model year. Running that TB won't really hurt, but it would be best to get a TB from the correct year on there.

MT
[/b][/quote]

Well since thats not the throttle body, that means that the rest of the engine is a 99+ engine (it was replaced the day after we bought it). Would it be best to just put the 97 TB I recieved, on it? OR to have a 99+ MAF table put in?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info