3800 I need help!! Who here could either fix my head gaskets or do an engine swap...

I

imported_GraFFix

To make a long story short...

The head gasket blew in my car on friday on the way home from work...My motors got almost 140k on it and the last 60k or so have been hard miles :) Anyways im now looking at my options. I could either just have the head gaskets and LIM gasket changed and run it untill something else breaks.

Or I can swap in a L32

Just wondering who here has the skill and space to handle either of the jobs. I will be willing to pay for your services and will be there to help with whatever I can do to make this job easier.

I might be able to get a L32 minus the blower and LIM so i would just swap mine over (after rebuilding the snout :() Which I think will be my best bet. Im not into racing the GP as much its more of a DD but I would be swapping my rockers into the new motor before dropping it in the car...

I will have a set of togs for sale also after this swap because im going back to PEM's...no need for togs on a DD anymore. L32, 3.4 pully, 1.9 rockers and PEM's FTW

Let me know if you can help...I know a few of you are capable if doing this job...this might be happening in the next month or so. Still got to get everything together. right now I just want to know that someone out there is willing to help so I dont have to take it to a shop. then Ill take it from there...

TIA

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
Why do you believe the HG blew?

Head gasket failures are VERY uncommon on these motors at your mod level. The only time HG's are an issue is high boost, high-hp cars pushing well over 300 WHP...

Sounds like it might not be as severe as you think it is, or it could be worse (popped pistons)

If I were closer, I'd gladly lend a hand, I can swap heads on an L67 with my eyes closed anymore :p

MT

I

imported_GraFFix

Throwing a code for a misfire on cyl 6 and then threw another for multiple misfires. 5 minutes later low coolant light goes on, Light brownish sludge on oil fill cap and also in radiator, No coolant in the radiator, No heat in car, Clouds of white smoke coming from exhaust, Car overheating...

The car drove fine otherwise...just when i stopped for a bit and then started going it would sputter, blow tons of white smoke then smooth out and drive fine. I dont think its a piston...pretty sure its either the LIM or the head gaskets.

Im leaning towards just fixing the problem rather then drop a whole new motor in it...I think its getting time to get rid of the ole GP. So ill change the gaskets and hope it runs for a little while longer...but then again im not sure...I love the car and knowing me ill change my mind a hundred times before it actually gets fixed..Or better yet ill drop a new motor in it and toss a cam in it while its out to make it even better then it was before..lol

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
yes, it sounds like you're right on track with either head or LIM gasket.

I'd also agree with fixing the problem. Dropping in a new motor is going to be alot more work, and a TON more expense, and just all around alot more trouble than it's worth. Even if you wanted to throw a cam in her while she's apart, that's really not much more work than changing the head gaskets while you're in there...

Good luck with the fix, sucks that it broke, but at least it's not an impossible fix.

MT

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info