3800 sensors and plugs

C

CurlysGTP

ok so today me and Ricky were working on the gp and we came across some problems. i believe its the coolant temp. sensor that has 3 wires that come off it. (blk/grn/yel) well the connection to the actual sensor is a 2 prong plug but doesnt connect to the harness at all. there was already a plug on the harness but that is a 3 prong plug. is there any way that we can change that plug to fit the sensor. or what is that green wire for. can we relocate that wire if at all possible. or do we just need to get another sensor?

These pics are pretty crappy but its all we could get. the camera wouldnt focus at all.

sensorplugs9qv.jpg

sensorwires9pd.jpg

another sensor is the oil temp i believe. its between the trans and engine. that connection seems to be too big and sensor too small. is there anything we can do to make it work or again do i need another sensor?

This is the sensor

oilsensor2lv.jpg

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
ok so today me and Ricky were working on the gp and we came across some problems. .............................

another sensor is the oil temp i believe. its between the trans and engine. that connection seems to be too big and sensor too small. is there anything we can do to make it work or again do i need another sensor?

This is the sensor

oilsensor2lv.jpg

[/b]

that is your knock sensor (one of em) that usually has a single wire pigtail the plugs into it (an oval looking connector gray in color) and that wire runs to an additional connector that goes to the harness

knock sensor connector -----------connector-----------main loom (ya dig?)

as for the rest that three wire plug looks like it's for the AC pressure switch located on the drivers side where the accumulator is or on the back of the AC compressor

most coolant temp sensors (thermistor) have two wires connectors and is grounded through the block on some makes

i'm betting on the 3 wire being for an AC high and low pressure sensor/switch....

forgive me but i havent been following you project...what year is the harness and what year is the engine/sensors?

the 01 GT harness we got for the 442 plugs right into the 98 sensors on the engine and actually plugs right into most of the sensors on the 442's stock AC system/fans etc and even into the 94 3100's sensors...

May 24, 2007
weve been working on this for a while. the motor we were told is out of an 05. and the harness is a 99 IIRC. yeah i saw another connector in there for the knock sensor but couldnt connect either of those into it. i figured it was KS-connector-connector-Harness. but neither of the connectors would fit the KS. as far as the AC goes the 3 prong is for the ac and the 2 prong is for the coolant but where does the one for the coolent go? its connected right under the t-stat then leads up to nowhere it was just a connection sitting there alone.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
weve been working on this for a while. the motor we were told is out of an 05. and the harness is a 99 IIRC. yeah i saw another connector in there for the knock sensor but couldnt connect either of those into it. [/b]
are you talking about the front of rear ks? the rear ks harness wire breaks out of the loom near the VSS (vehicle speed sens) and on our harness is a single wire/terminal connector

i figured it was KS-connector-connector-Harness. but neither of the connectors would fit the KS. [/b]
are you sure you got the pigtail for the rear ks with the harness?

as far as the AC goes the 3 prong is for the ac and the 2 prong is for the coolant but where does the one for the coolent go? its connected right under the t-stat then leads up to nowhere it was just a connection sitting there alone.
[/b]
ok so the 3 terminal connector has a home

so now we're down to the two terminal connector that goes to the coolant temp sensor which also has a pigtail on our harness (aka two connectors, CTS connector-wire-conector-harness)
the CTS harness breakout should be near the Tstat housing near the injector/tb connectors/bbv solenoid loom

sounds like your just overlooking the CTS connector where it breaks out of the loom, and that you may be missing the pigtail for the KS

sound about right?

May 24, 2007
<div class='quotemain'>
weve been working on this for a while. the motor we were told is out of an 05. and the harness is a 99 IIRC. yeah i saw another connector in there for the knock sensor but couldnt connect either of those into it. [/b]
are you talking about the front of rear ks? the rear ks harness wire breaks out of the loom near the VSS (vehicle speed sens) and on our harness is a single wire/terminal connector

i figured it was KS-connector-connector-Harness. but neither of the connectors would fit the KS. [/b]
are you sure you got the pigtail for the rear ks with the harness?

as far as the AC goes the 3 prong is for the ac and the 2 prong is for the coolant but where does the one for the coolent go? its connected right under the t-stat then leads up to nowhere it was just a connection sitting there alone.
[/b]
ok so the 3 terminal connector has a home

so now we're down to the two terminal connector that goes to the coolant temp sensor which also has a pigtail on our harness (aka two connectors, CTS connector-wire-conector-harness)
the CTS harness breakout should be near the Tstat housing near the injector/tb connectors/bbv solenoid loom

sounds like your just overlooking the CTS connector where it breaks out of the loom, and that you may be missing the pigtail for the KS

sound about right?
[/b][/quote]
1. Im talking about the rear ks. there is a pigtail down there but they wont work. ive looked for another but thats all i found.

2. the pigtail for the harness is there. actually if you look at the pic of the ks. that black connector with the orange seal is the pigtail that was there.

3. i didnt see a pigtail might have to get one from the jy or something but there is def nothing around it.

I dont know maybe i am missing something here and just need to look at it while drunk or something... for all i know it could be right under my nose and im just missing it.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
when i get back to the garage after the drag expo (today lol) i'll pull the 01 harness out of the box and take some pics of the two pigtails...hopefully our harness is the same wire colors yours is (i'd supect thats the case since 98-03's are so similar

hopefully your not in a rush

that connector in the pic is the type that connects to a wire with the knock sensor connector on the other end...

looks like your missing the single wire that goes to the K sensor...i may have a spare ks connector in my garage from the LQ1 harness that is identical to 3800 ks's (free if you come and get it) but i may not have the mate to that black/orange oring connector so you may have to solder it direct...
I used the 2 single terminal mating connectors from the LQ1 harness for the passkeyII connection in the 3100 harness for the passkey signal simulator...

on the cts time to start sparking one up or slugging em down and see if you cant find it :lolsign:

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
allllrighty then

die 56K!

01GPGT harness for the 442 laid out
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p313/tu...GPGTharness.jpg

what the KS connector looks like that connects to the KS (gray oval shaped)
Knocksensorplug1.jpg

Knocksensorplug2.jpg

aparently i seem to have misplaced our pigtail for the rear KS but i go to the Jyard enough i can grab another for our harness
but here is how the pigtail should connect to that orange oring single wire connector
Knocksensorplugandmainloomconnector.jpg

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
if you need the connector you can have it since we're aways from using our harness and i grabbed that KS connector from the DOHC LQ1 harness

youll have to find a mate to the orange O ring single wire connector or solder it directly
if you want it :p

in regards to the CTS stuff...

i looked at the CTS on the 99 L36 LIM i have and it is a three terminal setup
3prongCTS.jpg

the CTS pigtail with the white CTS three prong connector...you may need to get the right sensor or you may not be lining it up correctly for it to slide in
CTSpigtail.jpg

hope this helps ya'll out some...

Regards, James

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• C
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list