3800 Homeporting a 97 L67 TB

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Ive got a 97 L67 TB just sitting in my storage bin. Not really doing anything. I was thinking about taking it out and going over it. Had a few questions.

Will removing the center mast affect anything at all? Pretty much 72MM is all your going to get out of it correct? If I use the stock L67 MAF I should keep the hump there a bit correct?

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
well i dont know if there are any differences between the 97 and 98 TB's but this is what i did with the 98 TB going into the 442...

removed maf stalk (mini airsaw and 2 inch drum sander in my drillpress) and epoxy'd the maf hole shut and ground it smooth on the outside we'll be running an external maf
i need to clean up the inside more (got some new id polishing bits :D )
portedL67TB2.jpg

i would bet that you could enlarge the maf hole after removing the stalk and run the 99+ maf and seal it with a small bit of rtv if the OE oring wont seal (i actually thought of this but i'd wrather run an external MAF if we're buying a new maf sensor)
portedL67TB1.jpg

i removed the shaft and ground it flat (probably could've removed more), cut down the screws and restaked them in
portedL67TB3.jpg

drilling the maf hole larger for the 99+ maf might be the best way to do it if you going for the integral maf sensor

regards, James

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Awsome. Thanks James. Im not sure but I might have a 99+ L67 coming soon as well. If so I guess I should just work with that one and leave the 97 alone.

I also dont own 1/64th of the tools you do. LOL. I have a POS dremel knock off that blows chuncks and a tool set from Sears hardware.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
well if i recall the only major difference is the maf stalk isnt cast into it and the hole is larger for the 99+ integral shroud maf sensor...so you may save $ enlarging it and using the later maf

(that is unless i am incorrect and the 99+ Tb's are better in other ways as well)

ummm you could always cruise over and i'll let you use my tools...

just bring pizza or a 6 pack ;)

we'll be in the garage all day welding the exhaust on the GTP tomarrow...

i'll pm you my cell#

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
Awsome. Thanks James. Im not sure but I might have a 99+ L67 coming soon as well. If so I guess I should just work with that one and leave the 97 alone.

I also dont own 1/64th of the tools you do. LOL. I have a POS dremel knock off that blows chuncks and a tool set from Sears hardware.
[/b]
epoxy a small smooth ramp in front of the maf, talk to Ron V. he has made more then anyone i know of(non-vendor)
why not just go with an external maf and just make it smooth all the way in. stock mafs suck and there more expensive then 85mm that you can find all day long.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

I tried and tried to get a "ramp" to work with the stock MAF. It will get closer, but never calibrate right. Much better to ditch the stock MAF and hog it out, then use an external MAF.

The '97 is better suited to porting than the 99+. By the time you get the hump out, it's thin as tin foil. You either need to have good epoxy on hand, or do a half-assed porting job. Also, I've bored them out with hand tools before...but I don't reccomend it. It's also hard to come by correct oversized throttle blades.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info