3800 So Al bought that really nice 210amp miller welder

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
an Old Clausing morse taper drillpress (with a 3/4" drill chuck too!)
floor standin ~ 65 inches tall to top of column, base is 2x2 ft and the table is 22x18 inches

3/4 hp motor and 12 speeds down to 120rpm spindle rpm with 1600 rpm at the motor (manual belt and pulleys) and a nearly 5 inch quill feed! woot!

near as i can figure without cleaning it up yet (i'll get into this in a bit) it looks like an early 70's or late 60's manufacture well after atlas press changed to the clausing name, overall it is in very good shape, some surface rust, and really hasent seen alot of use since the primary drill press was a benchmount clausing (HUGE!) let me put it this way that thing';s base nearly killed me and dennis when we moved it (~200lbs) with a 2hp 3 phase motor
i WAS gonna be grabbing this unit but since he kept the quill/spindle as a spare for his other identical unit it really wasnt of any use but since i am getting rid of this unit for him he gave me this other floorstanding (smaller) clausen

here is the stand portion (drill head removed)

Clausingdrillpress1.jpg

and the drill head with the 3/4 inch chuck and a couple of morse taper bits (anyone got a use for a 2 inch carbide drill bit? :blink: )
Clausingdrillpress3.jpg

so i have already made space in my garage for it just have to pick it up this next week when i go finish cleaning up his shop

care to guess how much i got it fer?!?

0$ ;)

oh and it looks like in the next couple of years when dennis gets a newer Enco (bridgeport) mill he'll sell me his enco to me for 500$
SVI_0011.jpg

i use it often enough now i cant wait to have my very own bridgport mill but for now i'll be happy with the clausing and maybe buy an enco 2 axis T slot table

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
those are some good things to have..... feel like makin my car go faster?
[/b]

lol i have a twin drivetrain car to make go faster but i am never opposed to helping others...
just ask Al (442), Eric (L67 Riv), James (rustang), Allan (NICE rustang), Ken (co owner of the Nova), John (too many vehicles to list), and myself...we're always helping each other go faster :D

but depending how this mechanical IC pump setup turns out....i may produce a few ;) but your Not Applicable lol

That Enco looks like it could take a couple rounds and keep running without a problem.

By the way, I'm buying you a digital camera for Christmas James.
[/b]

that fucker is heavy! it and the 3 phase converter get used hard lol

lol sorry for the pics but i dont take the family's good camera with me when i could accidently destroy it like i have others (you should see what plasma spray can do to a plastic camera!)

but yeah i know i need a new cheapo digicam.... :p

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
you
dirty
bastard
!!!!

j/k man, I wish I had one, or had a place for one even.

Does that thing have a press chuck, or just the keyed/screw type chuck?
I can't tell from the pics :p

MT
[/b]

lol if you need to use it you know who to call :D

it has the morse taper quill but comes with a morse taper to 3/4 Jacobs chuck adaptor

so the best of both worlds ;)

i've been meaning to get ahold of you to run an idea of mine past you....

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
email or PM if you've got questions, no guarantees I'll know the answer, but I'll give it a shot ;)

I wouldn't mind hearing your mechanical IC pump design specifics, seems like a solution that the GP community would eat right up considering all the problems we have with electric pumps...

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
you dun guessed it :D

i'll try to do some MS paint drawings to show my thoughts on a pressurized (adj orifice after the IC) system using a gerotor pump with a modified pressure relief spring...

i still need to hook it up and do a flow rate per rpm test with the pump so i can kinda figure out a flow curve for the pump (and compare it to other options)

i'm glad Eric is willing to let his Riv be the guinea pig :lolsign:

then i can implement it on the 442 when we get IC's

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
yeah it's taller than me....and about as heavy as my fat ass and Al's 135lb proverbial "drop in the bucket"
the base is filled with sand too, this is it's max head height (i could go 1.5inches higher...but i'm not 6'6" <_< )
the garbage bin is for size reference
clausingmaxheight.jpg

a full 5 inch feed...i found that the spindle is bent...which may explain why this was stored...this thing i can gaurantee has less than 100 hrs!! no paint chips and slight surface rust, no wear what so ever in the morse #2 taper key hole! no wear on the belt pulleys and it has the original belt in mint condition...he verify'd that something went wrong with it not long after it was purchaced and dismantled :eek: (soooo happy!) it looks like at some point the spindle got bent and it was set aside because of the two other clausing drillpress's (they are about twice the size of this thing) the quill is perfectly straight and true with the colume and table...but the spindle at the nose of a 3/8ths drillbit is off by over .085 (bad) i used my portapower hyraulic gearheads delight (i dont get to use it much) to press the spidle to ~.020 wayyy better but not good enough for me...i can get it perfect i just need to get a new stand for my dial indicator,or borrow Denis' a new spindle is a bit over 75$ so i'll see what i can do for cheap (i bet i can get it to .005 ;) )
clausingmaxquillfeed.jpg

the buisness end
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p313/tu...ssmodel1752.jpg
3/4 Hp 110/220v motor and spindle speeds down to 225 rpm (i can notch tubing! i cant wait to get a milling table for it...i could make some nice stuff for my SI/SII project, oh and the 442)
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p313/tu...5rpmspindle.jpg
the ever handy but seldom used portapower, 20 ton but also with 3.5ton duckbill and other ram sizes/various extensions here it is in action
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p313/tu.../portapower.jpg

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
Nice pickup!
[/b]
thanks... i dont want her to ever see the horror of roadsalt

nice addition James. I love portapowers, they come in really handy doing bodywork too with the duckbill attachment. Places to cant swing a hammer. [/b]

yeah no kidding they are freakin lifesavers when you need them...if your looking for one just grab a cheapo harbor freight good sets can be expensive, still you would think i'd use it more than 10 times in 6 years

i'll tell ya this...although heavy, if you carry the duckbills and the small rams into the Jyard, you can rip most anything free...or get that much needed clearance to remove something...i want the big jaw hydraulic shears they sell for it...talk about quick removal

So you planning to have the 442 at the track this summer???
CJ
[/b]

sure as hell are...it's gonna be a "hairy" ride

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info