3800 C.O.P. ignition

thebullfrog

Addict
Sep 12, 2008
Algonquin
Real Name
Jerimiah
I know a lot of DSM guys have been going to COP set-ups lately with no ill-effects. They use Ford parts for the most part, but we do have a couple vendors that make kits for them now (I think they also use Ford stuff). From what I've seen and heard it doesn't really make much difference performance-wise unless you're running a ton of boost. DSM's have pretty strong ignition systems stock and from what I've seen the W-body ignition system is also stout enough that you won't really notice much if any gain from going to a COP. Would clean the engine bay up a lot though. Not to mention the afore-mentioned cool factor. With the set-up you have, it may very well help you out a bit, but for a more mild set-up it probably won't be of any improvement. I would definately like to see the option explored though. It is easy enough to do. I don't see any reason why the SHO stuff wouldn't work.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Actually, I ordered some Ford COP's for my project. Since the Visteon ones I want to use are set-up for Fords, it'll be a good platform to start with. One of the major hurdles is the coil charge time, so these have to run sequentially to get benefits from it. The actual power delivered from each coil is around 25-30K volts per coil, whereas the Dis are like 40K...however that 40K is split between 2 cyl for each fire...so the charge time is less...and the coils have to be bigger for the larger output. These COP coils will shine in upper RPM with bigger gaps when the sequential firing will allow twice the charge time.

I saw Zoom's post, where they are doing the CNP's. Hope they figured out about the charge time issue.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
Actually, I ordered some Ford COP's for my project. Since the Visteon ones I want to use are set-up for Fords, it'll be a good platform to start with. [/b]
I agree, plenty of Kv potential and the single bolt mounting would make for a simple mounting setup that secures to the exhaust bolts or VC bolts and clears the primary's
interested in your work for the 442, so good luck, it figures though i'm relocating the ICM to behind the blower on eric's riv to get room for the mech ic pump, i'm a step behind ya :p

One of the major hurdles is the coil charge time, so these have to run sequentially to get benefits from it.[/b]
it's been a while since i've needed to but what is the impedance of the primary sides of each, so you may need to run them in series or parallel, or even better a set of high current switching Transisters switched by the oe ICM to coil connections (the black box in the first pick of my post on cgp, but they may have ran the coils in parallel too and that is just dressup) but at which point do you stop there?
fuck it you might as well see what the vortec ICM setup consist's of and see whether it uses the same pickup geometry (7x/3x ref, etc for the cam and crank sensors, i can prob look into this myself) and then interface it with the 3800 harness, then ditch the massive DIS modules and then hitch up the MSD Cap discharge programable ign and adjust anything you want!! cylinder to cylinder timing (better get out the 6 wb o2's ) launch limiter/rpm ramp speed (fine tune for traction), multispark!, as well as other programable functions!
with the low rpm Tq moster that is a short rod SII you might as well maximize your ignition system and use it to tune to the edge of launch traction B)
talk about benifits heheh

The actual power delivered from each coil is around 25-30K volts per coil, whereas the Dis are like 40K...however that 40K is split between 2 cyl for each fire...so the charge time is less...and the coils have to be bigger for the larger output. These COP coils will shine in upper RPM with bigger gaps when the sequential firing will allow twice the charge time.[/b]
dont forget that DIS systems will fire usually 5-8kv less on one spark lead than the other due to the negative firing plug (i have a KV tester/module tester if you have need) just one more area cop/cpp systems shine, but why just fire them seqentially? (flip flop gated power transistors? hmm) chances are running them as a wasted spark cop system would show gains regardless (the white space/black box adaptors?)

if anything a cop should be fine with the ICM wired to cop units in parallel, you may not get enough saturation if they are in series and i doubt it would be excessive saturation if the primary res/ind is kept to .7 ohm
what is the coil feed v from the GM icm? is it charging system voltage? that and resistance determines the charge time....

I saw Zoom's post, where they are doing the CNP's. Hope they figured out about the charge time issue.
[/b]

ron i'm almost positive that that looked similar to the black box on the cgp pic i posted
i am willing to bet that they are wired in parallel in a wasted spark config and that is just a "adaptor/wire connector" at this point and may not contain any switching transistors or gated circuits for a sequential setup (much less switching to a 36-1 wheel system)

good luck dude B) i'm root'n fer ya

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info