3800 My GTP is broken, again

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
I think the flex plate cracked, I also had a gm mechanic come out and look at the car and he also thinks the same. I have a clanking noise at idle but goes away, or get quiet with revs, and it is not very consistant either. I took the inspection plate off and the torque converter bolts are tight. I was turning the engine by hand and every time i get to a certain spot it will make that clank noise. I checked the oil, looks good, no metal from the bearings. So, the engine has got to come out to change the flex plate and i do not know if i should just replace the flex plate or go all out. I would just go all out but this is my DD and I can not get another car every day for work and I dont really want to spend more money on the car. Every month the car ***es up, first the fuel pump then the trans, now this. To go all out i was going to pull the engine, get a L36 morad engine, XP cam it, send the heads out to get inspected and worked over, swap my top end over, porter blower, 75mm t/b, send the headers out to get coated. Right, like thats ever going to happed, lol. I talked to some people and they were saying that the flex didnt crack from power but harmonic balancer. I also need to upgrade to the H-body or the 04+ style. At idle i watched the crank pulley and it was moving a lot, do not know if that is normal or not, probably not.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
I know when things break it sucks but dont think with all the mods you have you wont have problems and shit wont break. Your producing alot more power than stock. It costs money to drive fast, not just money for mods but money for repairs.

I hope you can get it fixed soon so you can come up here Jan 13th.

smug

TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
I know that you have to pay to play and things will break. I am just a little upset that i had the trans out about a month ago and now I have to go through all that work again. I had to order a L32 balancer from the dealer and a flexplate from ed, all for under $200. I hope to have the car back on the road by the weekend. My boss was nice enough to let me drive the company car for the week, it is just a Chevy Malibu. On my way home from work I am at a light next to a new Mustang GT, im thinking, shit I wish I was in my GTP. He prob would have been lunch in the GTP :lolsign:

alexgtp

TCG Elite Member
Aug 3, 2007
Thats the price you pay when you mod your car.

These cars are heavy as hell and the stock parts are barely enough to keep up with the car.

Now add a

2001 Grand Prix GTP...near stock, Dynotech trans, 3.29 gears, 3000 stall converter, 300M input shaft, 3.4 3.2 3.0 mps, fwi, zzp stage 2 ic, powrtuner, Hoosier drag radials, 42.5 lb injectors, custom fuel rails, Pacesetter headers, 1.9 rockers, GMPP Koni struts with B&G springs, GMPP handeling package, 20% tint, SLP spoiler, Ron Vogel tune.
[email protected] sixty foot, 4* KR, should be a 12 sec GTP
Up next, WBS throttle body kit, WBS ported blower, WBS fuel rails

You do the math.

alexgtp

TCG Elite Member
Aug 3, 2007
They rent a crappy one. ANd they dont come with the correct bolt sizes.

If you do rent it. You will need to pick up the correct bolts.

(3) 1/4" X 3" 28NF (national fine) screws for the puller.
And some washer to use on the screws if the head is too small and will pull thru the puller.

I would recommend trying the thread the bolts at least a 1/4" to prevent them from pulling out.. D'OH!

smug

TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
Update,
the gtp is running again, yeah, the flex plate was really bad. It is cracked about 70% around the crank bolts and had more crackes through out the flex plate to in other areas. I also changed the harmonic balancer for a L32 one and so at idle it is not moving around like the old one did. I had to take off the oil filter extension thing for more clearance and then had to make a run to autozone for the gasket last night. It was a pita but still easier then droping the trans or pulling the engine all the way out. I hope i dont have to do this again. I would take a pic of the flex plate but i dont think my camera will pick up the cracks. Im so glad that i can drive my car again.

my97gtp

Addict
Oct 5, 2008
Columbus Indiana
Real Name
Jay
Thats the price you pay when you mod your car.

These cars are heavy as hell and the stock parts are barely enough to keep up with the car. [/b]

True but their are many 11 second cars running stock flexplates and balancers that have not had any issues. These cars stock parts minus trans realy hold up better than most other cars. I dont know many cars that can hold several 9 second passes on a stock bottom end that is made of hyperutectic(spelling) pistons. Most cars that are going to be running the kind of boost and power need a built motor.

smug

TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
glad to hear that......now fix your sig, people get pissed when it is incorrect :D
are you changing anything else beofre you go to the track next
[/b]
First, I am looking for a daily driver for under $1500. Then I am planning on getting another engine and build it up. I am not sure what I want to do yet with the engine

smug

TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
Here are a couple pics of the damage, I make the cracks more noticeable for people to see better.
As you can see, cracked between the three big holes and more than half way aroung he crank bolts.
IMG_0131.jpg

IMG_0130.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info