3800 The new nOOb

thebullfrog

Addict
Sep 12, 2008
Algonquin
Real Name
Jerimiah
Well, I'm the new guy I geuss. Thought I'd introduce myself. Just bought a 2000 GTP coupe. Pretty much the only car I've ever bought that isn't a DSM. Spent most of my life praying at the altar of the diamond star (yeah, I'm one of "those" guys). I finally got bored playing with the same cars all the time. Needed something different. Not to mention a nicer daily driver. Always had a lot of respect for GTP's, although I never did lose to one ;) In fact, I've never had one keep up. Geuss I always found the stock ones, cause I knew how fast they can be. Anyways, when it came time to choose a daily driver/ replacement for the current DSM, I decided a GTP would be perfect for what I wanted in a car. So here I am, proud owner of a loaded midnight blue GTP.

Enough about me, all we care about here is the car. Like I said, 2000 midnight (or navy or whatever you call it) GTP coupe. 84k on the clock. It's in pretty freakin nice condition other than a few small issues. Cosmetically it's missing one of the GTP badges. Thats fine, I'll just de-badge it. Sleeper. Looks better that way IMO anyway. Other than that it's fine. Interior is pretty much mint. For whatever reason the clock display on the radio doesnt work, but w/e. Didnt work in my Talon either. I'm used to that. Mechanically, it has a couple bugs. This is where I need some help since I'm a complete freakin nOOb to these cars. It certainly aint no 4G63 under that hood. Big concern is a nasty ass intermittant misfire. I'm pretty sure it's just plugs and wires since, from what I can tell, that seems to be an issue on these cars. Hell, I've never seen so many people list plugs as a performance upgrade. Is there anything else I should be aware of that commonly causes misfires in GTP's? The only other problem other than the typical GM valve cover gasket leak (never seen a GM that doesnt do that) is the coolant level light. It's always on. The coolant is full. Bad sensor? Can I just unplug it? Had to do that with the 94 STS my family used to have.

Thanks in advance for any help etc. I know my way around under a hood (had to keep DSM's running LOL) but not much experience with these beasts. Worked on a 95 GP GT a couple times, but thats about it. I'm looking forward to getting my hands dirty with this car and learning the ins and outs of a new platform finally. Once it's bugs are sorted out, I'm planning on some light mods come spring. Keeping it a reliable DD is a must, so it won't be as fast as my Talon (could pull stock LS-1's from a roll, when it worked right. Which was never.), but I would like it to be able to run solidly in the low 14's at least. Maybe high 13's eventually. 3.4, and a PCM should take care of the first goal, then add in a cat-back and intake later. Should do the trick right? I don't want to invest in a full exhaust if I don't have to. Trying to minimize the money spent on performance. Trying to break that habit LOL. Like I said, performance is actually not the priority for the first time in my life. Just can't own something thats stock either.

Well, that's all for now. Hope to get to know you all. Don't worry, my posts aren't always this long.

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
welcome, sounds like a nice car. i own a broken down talon myself, GTPs are better ten fold.
with the mods sounds like you are staying safe, just add an exhaust mod(DP,ubend delete) other then a catback to help KR and still stay quiet. plugs and wires will always help along with a 180 t-stat(these things are needed to make the most of the PCM changes optimal). for PCMs go with a DHP 1.0,W-bodystore.com has them
get the car scaned first, its one of the most important things so you know if you can even put a 3.4 on
good luck

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
welcome, sounds like a nice car. i own a broken down talon myself, GTPs are better ten fold.
with the mods sounds like you are staying safe, just add an exhaust mod(DP,ubend delete) other then a catback to help KR and still stay quiet. plugs and wires will always help along with a 180 t-stat(these things are needed to make the most of the PCM changes optimal). for PCMs go with a DHP 1.0,W-bodystore.com has them
get the car scaned first, its one of the most important things so you know if you can even put a 3.4 on
good luck
[/b]

welcome! youll like it here...plenty of fellow gearheads B)

thebullfrog

Addict
Sep 12, 2008
Algonquin
Real Name
Jerimiah
As far as the Talon, it never went to the track. I would like to say it was a solid mid to low 13 sec. car. Probably would never run that thanks to a complete lack of any grip. On the highway from a roll I could run with stock Ls-1's. pretty much came down to driver. Off the line, well, it was pretty useless (FWD).

As for me, I'm in Crystal Lake.

As for the GTP, the cat-back isn't so much a performance thing. I know it doesn't add much. Just love how GTP's sound :) About the T-stat though. I know it's like f^>ed up cold outside, but temp gauge never climbs above 180ish. Dont know how accurate the gauge is, or how much the outside temp may be affecting it though. Sitting in traffic it never quite makes it to 200, driving it's actually closer to the 160 mark. Think the T-stat was already changed, or is that normal for how cold it is outside? What's DHP anyway. I can't figure out your guys' abbreviations yet. Haven't deciphered DHP or TOGS yet.

Xtant12

TCG Elite Member
May 31, 2007
Welcome you.. I cant wait to see this car.. Im so proud.. :) So Lino bought his talon and went through 4 motors and it still doesnt run right..He had this thing for 3 years... something always seems to go wrong with it.. So How are you.. If you need anything dont forget to ask.. Glad to see you on here.. Youll like it.. Everyone is very helpful and nice... ;)

thebullfrog

Addict
Sep 12, 2008
Algonquin
Real Name
Jerimiah
Yeah, I love DSMs, but their attitude problems can get really old. I wouldn't mind so much if I didn't have to rely on it day in and day out. Plus I gotta drive a certain someone around all the time ;) And it doesn't "seem" like something is always wrong with them. Something always IS wrong with them. After so many years I just got used to that. Then I started driving Amy's car all the time. I realized how nice it was to not have to drive around with a full set of tools in the trunk. Then the Talon started to REALLY fall apart. Mostly my fault, but still. When I discovered that all my summer time modding made it undriveable in the winter, I knew it was time to move on. It'll make a great project for whoever buys it though. It still has a ton of potential. Can't wait to get the GTP dialed in. Maybe I won't have to open the hood every other day "just to check" :D

preussenGTP

Banned
Feb 11, 2008
chicagoland
As far as the Talon, it never went to the track. I would like to say it was a solid mid to low 13 sec. car. Probably would never run that thanks to a complete lack of any grip. On the highway from a roll I could run with stock Ls-1's. pretty much came down to driver. Off the line, well, it was pretty useless (FWD).

As for me, I'm in Crystal Lake.

As for the GTP, the cat-back isn't so much a performance thing. I know it doesn't add much. Just love how GTP's sound :) About the T-stat though. I know it's like f^>ed up cold outside, but temp gauge never climbs above 180ish. Dont know how accurate the gauge is, or how much the outside temp may be affecting it though. Sitting in traffic it never quite makes it to 200, driving it's actually closer to the 160 mark. Think the T-stat was already changed, or is that normal for how cold it is outside? What's DHP anyway. I can't figure out your guys' abbreviations yet. Haven't deciphered DHP or TOGS yet.
[/b]

I concur with what vipermike & sinner24/7 said about mods - forget the cat-back and do a 3" downpipe. Our cars get a really nasty drone when equipped with Magnaflow or Flowmasters mufflers. The stock mufflers are good for around 300HP or so and do a great job of keeping the drone and noise level to a reasonable level.
The acronym TOGs stands for 'The Other Guys' headers.
DHP is Digital Horsepower
PEMs are ported exhaust manifolds.

It seems you wanna mod your car similar to how mine is.. Click on my sig pic for my mod list and use it as a reference as to how to mod your car. I haven't had it at the track, but it's likely good for 13.6, 13.7 or 13.8 @ 100MPH or so. My car is reliable, fast and i get good gas mileage to boot.
Don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have.

Welcome to ilgpc :)

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
As for the GTP, the cat-back isn't so much a performance thing. I know it doesn't add much. Just love how GTP's sound About the T-stat though. I know it's like f^>ed up cold outside, but temp gauge never climbs above 180ish. Dont know how accurate the gauge is, or how much the outside temp may be affecting it though. Sitting in traffic it never quite makes it to 200, driving it's actually closer to the 160 mark. Think the T-stat was already changed, or is that normal for how cold it is outside? What's DHP anyway. I can't figure out your guys' abbreviations yet. Haven't deciphered DHP or TOGS yet.[/b]

You like how GTP's sound.. :lolsign: I personaly think most sound good at idle but at WOT they sound like shit and without a cat they sound even worse at WOT. But you gotta love the sound of the blower after you get at least a intake, god do I miss that. :unsure:

Xtant12

TCG Elite Member
May 31, 2007
well you are right in the middle of us.. We always try to meet up at least once a month and do something as a group.. Doesn't matter if its a movie or just going to the mall... Your always welcome.. O, and tell Amy I called her back..LOL Cant wait till you get your car hooked up either.. Theres a lot of potential in these cars, be good to them and they will in return be good to you... ;)

thebullfrog

Addict
Sep 12, 2008
Algonquin
Real Name
Jerimiah
Thats the thing. My DSM never breaks. It has tuning issues but has NEVER broken down. It's all in how you care for it. They're tempermental. Once you figure out how to maintain them, tune them properly, they hold up just fine. As for getting rid of it, I have a couple offers on the table. I'm letting my reasonably modded 95 TSi FWD go for $2k. It's only real problem is the strut tower is rusted through. Beyond that it needs a bit of tuning to get dialed in and a couple minor/ cheap fixes. I'll have no problem selling it. It needs a bit of time with a welder to patch the tower, and an o2 simulator thanks to the exhaust. That's really about it. It has 136k miles, easily runs solid mid 13's, pulls like a Mofo on the highway. Never breaks. Always starts. Never been towed. I put almost 30k miles on it in 2 years, beat the hell out of it, modded it, rarely fixed it. DSMs arent really all that hard to live with. I find most people try to overmod them and start breaking shit. My car outruns other DSMs with more or "better" mods because I know how to do more with less. I run a stock 1g turbo. I keep up with or beat guys with 16gs because they fuck up they're tuning and break shit all the time with a turbo they don't need. The key to a DSM is less is more. People think because it's cheap and everyone does it, they need to jump right to a 16g, FMIC, 550 injectors, 255 LPH fuel pump, etc.. then wonder why they can't keep the car together. I go just as fast as some guys I know with that set-up using a 14b, stock injectors, 190lph pump, stock I/C. The problem isn't the car. The problem is the way people mod them based on the reputation the car has for being able to run 12's for $500. Yes you can do that, but don't bitch when it breaks.

I

imported_1fastGTP

these cars turbo'd sound AMAZING!!! so its only the blower(m90) that kills it. if its upgraded to a more efficient blower it sounds better, like the novi or whipple. obviously you dont want to toss thousands of dollars for that, but do like everyone said and just get the minor things and you'll love it. AND!!! make sure you know exactly what direction you want to go with the car performance wise... because if you keep changing your mind and buy things for different setups your going to be in a world of hurt. Thank got i pretty much broke even on my setup. I have a full supercharger setup going, and bob(sinr) decided he was selling his turbo... so obviously it was something ive wanted for awhile so i took it. Anways WELCOME to the club you'll enjoy it.

Shaun

thebullfrog

Addict
Sep 12, 2008
Algonquin
Real Name
Jerimiah
Yeah, I'm pretty positive what I want to do in terms of performance. Not looking for much, just a little extra oomph. Mostly I just hate the idea of driving a stock car, but daily drivablility/ relibility are the number one concerns for me. As for the exhaust, I'm just going nuts driving such a quiet car. I need to be able to hear the damned thing. You guys say they don't sound to great, but which muffler set-up sounds the most decent?

Oh, and where can I get a GTP badge for the door? I decided I don't want to go de-badged. It looks clean, but it just seems to take away from the cars charecter.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info