3800 Tranny Dead too!! Traded her in...

Mikes1998GTP

Xenon Powered
Mar 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Real Name
Mike
On the way home from Chicago this afternoon, my tranny pretty much went out... I lost the use of Drive, 3rd and had very little use of 1st and 2nd... I had to put my hazzards on and drive 35mph in the slow lane... I did however take performance shift OFF and had better luck, as the Tach stayed at a steady 4 to 4.5k, I was able to pull into a Pontiac dealership in the western burbs.

What the heck... we'll see what they have on their lot... after looking up and down the lanes of new and used cars and examining my situation and funds, I decided to test drive a few vehicles. Gas mileage has been killing me the last couple months driving back and forth from Naperville to Elgin for work, so I figured my Supercharged days were over, at least for now... the nice thing is, the dealership didnt even take my car out for a spin, they just grabbed the vin, the mileage and made me an offer. Of course you get screwed on trade-ins with the dealership, but having secretly known my mechanical problems, I figured what the heck. I had taken my car out towards Dundee the other day when the noises started and I don't know if anyone remembers Tom (ThePizzaGTP now ThePizzaC5) he looked my car over and checked a few things and confirmed the tranny would go soon...

Anyhow... as I said goodbye to the grand prix one more time...
lastday.jpg

I drove out of the lot with a 2004 Dodge Stratus R/T Coupe. It's loaded with all the toys... leather, multi-cd, sunroof, fogs, chromes, infinity system... I realize this is far from the workings of a GTP, but with an EPA rating of 29 hwy and 20 city, I can't complain... I'll still actively be involved with this club as I've enjoyed the many events and gatherings, but of course I wont be able to line up anymore with ya guys...
stratus1.jpg

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
<div class='quotemain'>
Stratus R/T.... :blink:

What happend to those BMW's, Benz, Audi, etc that you wanted to get?

That thing kinda reminds me of a GTO, but take that pin stripe off.
[/b]

:blink: :blink: That looks nothing like a GTO. Not even one little bit. Ive confused The front end of a GP or the new G5 for a GTO, but never a stratus.
[/b][/quote]
so you bought a dodge.......
well as long as you happy,
as for gas mileage.......gtps can get well into the mid 30s on gas......should of tried getting it tuned and would of saved your self an ass load on gas for the past few months

and no its nothing like a GTO

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
:blink: :blink: Then alot of cars look like the GTO then. :lolsign:

I dont even see the lines. And plenty of cars come with 5 stars stock. In fact, as fate has it, Im staring at one of each in the parking lot of my work right now and I see nothing in common with both cars other then the think 5 star wheels.

Mikes1998GTP

Xenon Powered
Mar 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Real Name
Mike
You have to remember the trouble I had with the GTP too... the tranny was pretty much gone, I was in a dilema and still had a year left on the grand prix's financing... I wasn't even sure if I was going to get home... it sucked driving on the highway with high revs and slow speed... I admit I did talk about a lot of various performance cars that I wanted to get, I even went and test drove a BMW 328i on Wednesday, but because of the high mileage, the dealership told me that banks find it harder to approve someone on a car with high mileage that is six or seven years old. We have a guy on here from Carmax I think, maybe he will agree? But regardless, I took the R/T out twice last night I still love the way she drives and handles... I upgraded from a 1998 to a 2004... I've driven about 60mi around town last night and the gas gauge has gone down a hairline... this is building confidence for me, as I wont have to worry so much about feeling like I have something to prove each time a vette or stang pulls up next to me... I like my new car... I know its not what you guys are used to... but at least you can admit this... I'm definitely in a nicer car then this guy down below... in the VTEC... LOL!!

ricer.jpg

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
I dont even see the lines. And plenty of cars come with 5 stars stock. In fact, as fate has it, Im staring at one of each in the parking lot of my work right now and I see nothing in common with both cars other then the think 5 star wheels.[/b]

The top half the car (windows etc) looks simular to the GTO.

REDHOTT04GTP

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2008
Romeoville
You have to remember the trouble I had with the GTP too... the tranny was pretty much gone, I was in a dilema and still had a year left on the grand prix's financing... I wasn't even sure if I was going to get home... it sucked driving on the highway with high revs and slow speed... I admit I did talk about a lot of various performance cars that I wanted to get, I even went and test drove a BMW 328i on Wednesday, but because of the high mileage, the dealership told me that banks find it harder to approve someone on a car with high mileage that is six or seven years old. We have a guy on here from Carmax I think, maybe he will agree? But regardless, I took the R/T out twice last night I still love the way she drives and handles... I upgraded from a 1998 to a 2004... I've driven about 60mi around town last night and the gas gauge has gone down a hairline... this is building confidence for me, as I wont have to worry so much about feeling like I have something to prove each time a vette or stang pulls up next to me... I like my new car... I know its not what you guys are used to... but at least you can admit this... I'm definitely in a nicer car then this guy down below... in the VTEC... LOL!!

ricer.jpg

[/b]

Yeah but now u gotta contend with the ricers.. other wise nice car

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Mike, I think the new car looks nice...

Where did you trade it in? I thought you sold it otherwise I probably would have had it sold for you. I'd still like the car and hoping that if I call and ask for a list of "auction" vehicles they might just give me a deal on their new Grand Prix... :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info