3800 Symptoms of a torque converter going or gone??

• Thread starter imported_PaceCarBoozer
  • Start date
I

imported_PaceCarBoozer

Just out of curiousity, I was wondering what one would look for as far as symptoms that his/her TC was reaching it's end? When I get my trans (still not sure what direction I am going) I'm curious as to how bad my TC was. The car did seem to lack power on and off and sometimes shift hard, other times not. I heard of fins breaking off and such, but just looking for some more input from experience or education.
Thanks,
CJ

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
one of the few things you can check is the diference between engine rpm and input shaft rpm to determin slipage or intermitent slipage, but that only tels a small portion of the story without cutting the converter open.
i dont know if you can tell the converter has ballooned while still in the car, but with it on the bench you could measure it vs a new unit.

and yes the L36 converter will have a higher stall speed when behind an engine that makes more Tq than a NA L36. as a mater of fact stall speeds vary directly with the engine's Tq output, the more Tq the engine produces, the higher the stall speed (brake stall and flash stall)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• I
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list