3800 tails

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
do stock tails normally have some sort of coating on them that may peel over time?

i dont think they do, which means previous owner sprayed the tails on my car with... clear! it's all peeling and bubbling and looks like crap. i suppose maybe they tried to cover up scratches?

would i be able to save them with some high high grit sanding and maybe a coat of niteshades or 2 and more clear? or even just more/better clear than what's there?

2000GTPK

Regular
Nov 18, 2008
do stock tails normally have some sort of coating on them that may peel over time?

i dont think they do, which means previous owner sprayed the tails on my car with... clear! it's all peeling and bubbling and looks like crap. i suppose maybe they tried to cover up scratches?

would i be able to save them with some high high grit sanding and maybe a coat of niteshades or 2 and more clear? or even just more/better clear than what's there?
[/b]

well uummm...first id like to take a trip with you to the previous owners house and kick them in the nuts. anyways no they do not have any form of coating on them that peels and bubbles. they definetly sprayed something over them.

i dont recommend that spray tint for the tail lights because it has no gloss to it. even if you use clear over it. its dull and lame. plus whatever is underneath will come through.

i dont recommend even using a high grit sand paper on it. it used a high grit on my headlight as a last resort to get rid o the yellow film and ruined it.

my suggestion is get black out tail light covers. or buy new ones.

whats the year of your car and ill get you a link to some covers for them

I

imported_PaceCarBoozer

if you wanted them to look stock, you can watersand them down. go with 1000grit, 1500, then 2000, and find someone good with a buffer. Use a good amount of rubbing compound and keep the buffer moving, then hit them with polish and a foam pad on the buffer. They will look better than new, however, that buffer can burn up the plastic really quick, and turn them into shit.
I haven't seen nightshades on the taillights, but a few guys on here have theirs painted with light coats of black, dark blue, ect. and they look really good. You can go with covers, it's your choice.
There are some options. Hope it helped a bit.
CJ

TommyGloves

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 23, 2007
CHICAGO
Real Name
Tom Glover
i dont recommend that spray tint for the tail lights because it has no gloss to it. even if you use clear over it. its dull and lame. plus whatever is underneath will come through.
[/b]

Then you've never seen a pair done correctly with clearcoat. :p

You also might be able to use automotive paint stripper specific for urethene bumpers. I'm not sure if that stripper would be compatible with the polycarbonate plastic used on the taillights though.

Like mentioned previously, wet sanding using 1000, 1500 then 2000 followed by plastic polish should do the trick. It shouldn't take to long to get the clear off using the 1000 grit. The hard part is guaging if you got through the clear and onto the plastic.

2000GTPK

Regular
Nov 18, 2008
when i saw the 2 girls that did it to their cars i questioned why it looked so dark. i questioned if they used clear coat and they said they had clear on it. i figured the clear coat would give it a shine and glossy look to it.

anyways if you plan on doing the sandng process let me know how it turns out and i think i might try it on my headlight to see if it gets rid of that yellow tinge on the outside of it. i know places like autozone sell a polish but you gotta keep redoing it like once every 2 months

if you plan on doing the night shade spray tint you might wanna think about doing simple covers. that way if you dont like the look its a matter of a few rips of velcro and your off Vs the whoooooole sanding and polishing idea. again ive never seen the spray tint done properly so i couldnt tell you what looks better.

Xtant12

TCG Elite Member
May 31, 2007
Well, I forget what the topic was, but I was schooled in knowing that members on here had their lights Sprayed.. I seen pictures of SOMEONES white GP on here and they looked SWEEET, and I seen 1FastGTP's lights and they look awesome.. So I agree with TommyGloves, If they are done right they will make your ride look that much better.. Its all about the small things people do here that make their carsstand out... ;)

Im getting mine done and I pick them up friday... I HOPE they look as good as theirs does.. :eek:

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
Well, I forget what the topic was, but I was schooled in knowing that members on here had their lights Sprayed.. I seen pictures of SOMEONES white GP on here and they looked SWEEET, and I seen 1FastGTP's lights and they look awesome.. So I agree with TommyGloves, If they are done right they will make your ride look that much better.. Its all about the small things people do here that make their carsstand out... ;)

Im getting mine done and I pick them up friday... I HOPE they look as good as theirs does.. :eek:
[/b]

the topic was p/o sprayed the tails on my car with CLEAR and apparently just a rattle can clear, as it is bubbling and flaking off... looks bad

i might tackle it yet this winter, but otherwise it'll just wait till spring... other 'mods' (repairs) on the list first...
blower resistor going out too now.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info